Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Is Making Me Sooo Hungry! Help!

I was banded on July 18, 2011. I was eating between 1000 and 1200 calories per day and lost around 45 lbs without exercise. Well, my doctor was not happy with this. He thought my weight loss was a "little slow" and said I "have" to start exercising. So my boyfriend and I bought some tennis raquets and decided to make use of the tennis courts in my complex. Currently we are playing 2-3 times a week for about an hour (and I'm getting good :)).

Here's the big problem. I've been playing for about 3 weeks now, and I am absolutely STARVING all the time. But I mean, all the time. Seriously, it wakes me up; ALL THE TIME. I thought, "okay maybe I am buring about 200 calories, so I can comsume up to 200 more calories than usual and still lose weight". But 200 calories is nothing when you're starving ALL THE TIME.

I'm already on low carb and high Protein foods, but it doesn't help. And snacking on carrot sticks isn't cutting it. It's almost like my sweet tooth has come back and my body is craving junk again. And so far I have not caved too badly to the sweet tooth, but I feel half crazy, and I don't think my willpower is going get me through this.

Do I just need another fill? (I'm at 6cc in a 10cc band).

So great, now that I am consistently excercising, I've gained 3.5 pounds. I'll admit, part of me wants to punch my doctor for the stupid advice. lol!

Help!

I was banded on July 18, 2011. I was eating between 1000 and 1200 calories per day and lost around 45 lbs without exercise. Well, my doctor was not happy with this. He thought my weight loss was a "little slow" and said I "have" to start exercising. So my boyfriend and I bought some tennis raquets and decided to make use of the tennis courts in my complex. Currently we are playing 2-3 times a week for about an hour (and I'm getting good :)).

Here's the big problem. I've been playing for about 3 weeks now, and I am absolutely STARVING all the time. But I mean, all the time. Seriously, it wakes me up; ALL THE TIME. I thought, "okay maybe I am buring about 200 calories, so I can comsume up to 200 more calories than usual and still lose weight". But 200 calories is nothing when you're starving ALL THE TIME.

I'm already on low carb and high Protein foods, but it doesn't help. And snacking on carrot sticks isn't cutting it. It's almost like my sweet tooth has come back and my body is craving junk again. And so far I have not caved too badly to the sweet tooth, but I feel half crazy, and I don't think my willpower is going get me through this.

Do I just need another fill? (I'm at 6cc in a 10cc band).

So great, now that I am consistently excercising, I've gained 3.5 pounds. I'll admit, part of me wants to punch my doctor for the stupid advice. lol!

Help!

is the weight that you have gained muscle tone do you think?? i dont know what to tell you about your hunger. its rough when you are feeling hungry all the time. surely you can increase Protein? that should alleviate your hunger more. im no expert but i reckon if you are playing tennis three times a week then your muscles would be building more bulk.. and your metabolism should kick in soon.

Per my doctor if you can't go 5 hours before being hungry you need a fill. Are you eating 3 oz of Protein at each meal?

While my doctor frowns on Snacks he says if you must have a snack make it Protein based (chicken breast strips, low fat string cheese, carrots with hummus).

Regarding doctors/nurses and exercise. I swim an hour a day seven days a week. What does my nurse practitioner say at my yearly physical "Swimming is great but you should really be doing weight bearing exercise." Jeez thanks.

Make sure you take measurements such as your waist, hips, upper arms, and thighs. That will tell you if exercise is doing you good.

I understand what you are going through with the hunger. I'm an exercise fiend and am hungry all the time and haven't lost hardly anything on the band. Stopping or lessening exercise doesn't really seem like a good idea though.

Wow. This was me exactly! My nutritionist was super helpful to maximize what I ate when, how much and what type.

Here are her instructions to me:

About 20 minutes prior to exercising enjoy something that will give you a spurt of carbs. I do no sugar added applesauce or a little melon or even a small banana. Then within 30 minutes post workout get the Protein in because your body is craving it. (If it is an AM workout, it's a Protein shake which usually is lunch. If it's dinner time, salad with chicken, edamame, other veggies--and if I am feeling naughty a little bacon.) I feel fully full!

This combo has really worked for me! I really doubted the "carb loading" beforehand but I am a true believer now because I seem to stay on the treadmill longer and harder.

Per my doctor if you can't go 5 hours before being hungry you need a fill. Are you eating 3 oz of Protein at each meal?

While my doctor frowns on Snacks he says if you must have a snack make it Protein based (chicken breast strips, low fat string cheese, carrots with hummus).

Regarding doctors/nurses and exercise. I swim an hour a day seven days a week. What does my nurse practitioner say at my yearly physical "Swimming is great but you should really be doing weight bearing exercise." Jeez thanks.

they are goign to have to be satisfied with me just swimming.. at least in the short term. im miles away from any gymn... and so its only walking or swimming for me. with arthritic feet, hips that are locking, walking isnt my favorite passtime right now. lol. ohh... plus two artificial knees.

Make sure you take measurements such as your waist, hips, upper arms, and thighs. That will tell you if exercise is doing you good.

I understand what you are going through with the hunger. I'm an exercise fiend and am hungry all the time and haven't lost hardly anything on the band. Stopping or lessening exercise doesn't really seem like a good idea though.

i always thought that exercise that built up the muscles increased you metabolism and caused you to burn more calories, not only when working out but also when resting...

Thanks guys! Ya know? Maybe it is muscle. I'm one of those bandsters that doesn't really see her weight loss even though everyone else is noticing it, so maybe I am not noticing muscle either.

@honk - hey if you are enjoying your exercise and you are losing, then I say swim on! Maybe after you've hit your goal weight, if you're a beanpole, then maybe you should add muscle, but do something you enjoy. I say good job!

@mrsclooney - first, love the screen name...ha ha - and thank you so much. We tend to play tennis after work and do not snack beforehand, so maybe this will help. I'm going to give it a shot.

I definitely don't want to stop exercising, I do notice my skin tone being better and I sort of enjoy beating my boyfriend (mwuahahaha!). And if nothing else it's good for the heart, even if I do gain a few pounds. I just don't want to become a sugar junkie again.

Okay off to take my measurements :):) Thanks again everyone!

It is normal for your body to "Scream" for food after excercising. Your metabolism does kick up a gear. You just used up fuel and the body wants it to be replenished.

Don't give in and you will loose a lot of weight. Give in and it will even itself out, aside from muscle toning, it would have beeen as though you did not exercise at all.

The answer is Protein! There are many "Recovery" shakes, drinks, bars you can use to satisfy the cravings. Just be mindful of the calories.

I started drinking half a Protein Shake premier brand before exercise about 30 mins prior and drink other half on way home from gym It helped

thanks I had forgotten about the Protein before a workout. so much to remember.

I actually have the exact opposite effect when exercising. I tend to do an hour of cardio4x a week and weights 3x a week. When I get done I am not hungry at all, I usually have to force myself to eat. If you eat within an hour of working you can increase your metabolism and wif you do you should eat Protein to help your body recover. I also find on days I workout my appetite isn't there at all.

You should always prep and recover with Protein. The prep vibrate your body fuel for your muscles. Recover is to provide your muscles with the protein to rebuild.