Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was watching this show called Fat Chef where obese people in the food industry try to lose 25% of their body weight in 16 weeks. This one woman Maggie was just full of excuses and had no accountability whatsoever. She told her nutrition consultant that she was eating 2-3 slices of pizza for dinner at night and ate soft serve ice cream constantly. Later in the show it was revealed that she was hiding her Lap Band surgery from everyone. She got really mad for some reason and said "I don't want to be some kind of role model for Lap Band...it didn't work for me." Ok, really?! First of all, if you are able to eat 3 slices of pizza in a serving, something is terribly wrong. Not to mention all that ice cream wasn't doing her any favors. People like her make the rest of us who use the Lap Band correctly look bad. It just really irks me. It's clear she wasn't psychologically ready for it and I wonder what doctor in his right mind would give someone like that a Lap Band. If you aren't ready to change your lifestyle and work with the band and not against it, don't have the surgery. Period.

Ok, rant over :-)

I hear you Jenni....... i was so freaking mad i was yelling at the tv..... i wanted to say ... why are you doing this to all of us who LB has worked for. I was yelling ... saying not wonder it didn't work for you... you didn't fellow the rules... and wan't ready for it to work......AGGHHHHH

It didn't work for her because she didn't make it work for her! Shoot, I'm still hungry shortly after eating my meals but it is what it is. I have done well because I have stuck to what I should be doing........90% of the time anyways!

I watched the show as well and was very annoyed at how nonchalant she was about the band. She also blamed the Lapband for her gaining weight and refused to talk with the trainer about her band so that he would be able to help her.

I know someone like that personally she's had it for 3 years and when I started talking to her about it, she said she couldnt recommend it because all she lost was 20 lbs, that she could still eat everything. She had even at one time put 9ccs in her 10cc and but that still didnt help as she was drinking shakes. I stopped asking her questions because she was being so negative about it. I felt she really thought that the band didnt do its job. When in reality it was her. I found other people who have been supportive all the way!

We have a friend who lost weight with the band but then started gaining weight. But he is the first to say "I learned that ice cream can slip right past the band!"

He doesn't blame the band. He knows that HE is the problem.

Wow!! I can't believe this... Some people!!! I have a friend who tried to eat things she should not have and the band is still working for her... She just threw up what ever did not go down well for the first few months. I think we all know what I'm talking about. If u can still eat that much food something is defiantly wrong with the band!!! They tell you this in any seminar, at least the ones I have been too, Or maybe she stretched the pouch out ( which in my mind would take a lot) either way I wish ppl would take a look at the success stories (and I'm not talking about the commercial ones). I mean every day ppl who have had to struggle and play the band hell and they have still made it through!!! I am only at the beginning of this, but even now I am following drs orders because I don't want to mess anything up!

Ok rant over. Thank you for sharing I really had no clue how bad ppl can mess up the band and their lives.

Oh my - i think i will need to find a re-run of that show and see this catastrophe for myself so that I can raise my glass of Water to the TV and brag to her how i've lost 100+ in 8 months. LOL - that's just what the country needs to see - a Lap Bander that probably had her band paid by insurance (or worse, public dollars/medicaid) only to blow it like that when so many people out there would give their right arm to have Lap Band and don't have the insurance coverage, the money to self-fund or the public dollars at their disposal. Very nice. :angry:

I'm glad I'm not the only one irritated by this woman! I have half a mind to email her restaurant and thank her for all the negative Lap Band PR she has put out there.

I was watching this show called Fat Chef where obese people in the food industry try to lose 25% of their body weight in 16 weeks. This one woman Maggie was just full of excuses and had no accountability whatsoever. She told her nutrition consultant that she was eating 2-3 slices of pizza for dinner at night and ate soft serve ice cream constantly. Later in the show it was revealed that she was hiding her Lap Band surgery from everyone. She got really mad for some reason and said "I don't want to be some kind of role model for Lap Band...it didn't work for me." Ok' date=' really?! First of all, if you are able to eat 3 slices of pizza in a serving, something is terribly wrong. Not to mention all that ice cream wasn't doing her any favors. People like her make the rest of us who use the Lap Band correctly look bad. It just really irks me. It's clear she wasn't psychologically ready for it and I wonder what doctor in his right mind would give someone like that a Lap Band. If you aren't ready to change your lifestyle and work with the band and not against it, don't have the surgery. Period.

Ok, rant over :-)[/quote']

Sadly the DR's do try to prepare everyone before surgery. But there are a lot of people that still think the band is a miracle fix without accountablity.

I saw it also...... Same thoughts I had. She was obviously mad at herself for having an advantage and not reveal it to the show producers. Cause the band does give one an extra push if your on a serious weightloss journey. Even though persons have complained that they have not met their weightloss goals or have not lost a great deal of weight... I have yet to read about someone who did not lose any weight at all!

I am going to have to check this out, just hearing about makes me mad. It's on the food network right? Have you guys ever watched my 600 lb life?

I am going to have to check this out, just hearing about makes me mad. It's on the food network right? Have you guys ever watched my 600 lb life?

I was watching this show called Fat Chef where obese people in the food industry try to lose 25% of their body weight in 16 weeks. This one woman Maggie was just full of excuses and had no accountability whatsoever. She told her nutrition consultant that she was eating 2-3 slices of pizza for dinner at night and ate soft serve ice cream constantly. Later in the show it was revealed that she was hiding her Lap Band surgery from everyone. She got really mad for some reason and said "I don't want to be some kind of role model for Lap Band...it didn't work for me." Ok, really?! First of all, if you are able to eat 3 slices of pizza in a serving, something is terribly wrong. Not to mention all that ice cream wasn't doing her any favors. People like her make the rest of us who use the Lap Band correctly look bad. It just really irks me. It's clear she wasn't psychologically ready for it and I wonder what doctor in his right mind would give someone like that a Lap Band. If you aren't ready to change your lifestyle and work with the band and not against it, don't have the surgery. Period.

Ok, rant over :-)

Ok i've set my DVR to record a re-run - has there only been one show aired so far? Must be the one...

I saw that too.. I was freaking mad about it too... My first thought was, your band is not adjusted properly and then my next thought was that she didn't eat right... and the fact that she seemed embarrassed to have had the lap band done... I am proud that I did this... and you were right, she made ALLLL kind of excuses and took no responsibility for how she ate with the band, she blamed the band saying it didn't work for her....I was really pissed at her....and the way she made it seem like the band wouldn't work for anyone....