Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did, the night before my surgery I had a small steak and some steamed cauliflower. It's not like it will undo all the other work you've done to shrink your liver, and you're right, just the chewing is so nice :). I say go for it, keep it small, and enjoy!

It seems to me that you're setting yourself up for failure with this kind of attitude. This journey is every bit as much mental as it is physical. If you "cheat" the only one you're cheating is yourself - no one else. If you're already making excuses to justify bad choices and decisions, what will change after you've been banded and you want just this one cheat? You're going into surgery, and letting someone cut into you and add a foreign object into your body which will hopefully stay there for life - why on earth would you open yourself up to any further risks than absolutely necessary? While I don't have restriction in my band yet - I'm still following all the rules, because you can do things that will hurt down the road, like a slipped band or worse. And even when you get to the point you have restriction - you can still make bad choices and eat all the slider foods you want. You have to make changes in order to be successful with the band. If you're not ready to that now, then what is going to be different next week?

Sorry - I just don't understand justifying doing something that could be very reckless. Just because it turned out ok for others, doesn't mean it will turn out ok for you.

It's just a question. Just because u have one little cheat before surgery doesn't mean your going to be cheating all the time. Wow can't believe we found the perfect person in the world that's never going to cheat. If ur so perfect why do u even have the band pugx3? A lot of topics on this site are about what worked for some and not for others. That's the whole purpose of this forum.

I was on 1200 calories for 1 year ! 2 weeks before my surgery he wanted me to start a liquid diet...

I said c'mon! He laughed and said O.K. you can continue your diet, but 3 days before your surgery, you switch to liquids.< /p>

So on my last day before the switch. I ordered a Porterhouse Steak, Baked Potato, and some salad.< /p>

I only ate a portion of the steak, and was full.

It's just a question. Just because u have one little cheat before surgery doesn't mean your going to be cheating all the time. Wow can't believe we found the perfect person in the world that's never going to cheat. If ur so perfect why do u even have the band pugx3? A lot of topics on this site are about what worked for some and not for others. That's the whole purpose of this forum.

I don't claim to be perfect - but cheating 2 days before surgery seems reckless to me. I'm not a medical professional, so I'm going to listen to the surgeon that is a medical professional before I let him cut into me. Why in earth would you put that much trust into anyone, then decide you know more than them. Also, I will let my results from the surgery speak for themselves. I'm down 76 lbs since surgery on 9/15/11, and within reach of making it half way at the 5 month post op mark.

Wow.. Some of the people that answer are kind of "pissy". sheesh. I would say talk to you doctor. I had 2 weeks of liquid prescribed. After one week I was in the office getting my final bloodwork done and without even asking they told me I was fine to have a small meal every day for the final week along with the Protein Shakes. That was great as it was Christmas week and it would have sucked to sitdown to a beef tenderloin dinner with the whole extended family while I sipped on a Protein Shake and chicken broth. The 3 ozs of rare tenderloin rocked.

They may very well tell you not to have anything. If so well at least you asked. And I sure don't think baked chicken and lettuce leaves is setting up for failure..

By the way, congratulations and what a nice Valentines present you are giving yourself. If I was there I would give you a heart shaped red Jello servering for your first Valentine's Day meal. -- If the doc said it was OK ;-)

Good Luck.

I wasn't put on any kind of special diet before the surgery. Just fasting from midnight the night before and that was it.

So I went out to a french restaurant the night before and had a 3 course meal and 2 cokes.

And it was fine :)

Even though I would have haaaaated a liquid diet pre surgery, I am jealous of you guys that were forced down that road - only because of the extra weight you've lost because of it!

I wasn't on a long pre op diet either. My surgery was on a Friday and I got a phone call on Wed at lunch and was told to finish the day on liquids and continue until surgery. I was like oh no I was just getting ready to go to lunch. I was told to go an enjoy myself but don't over do it. I said can I have a coke this afternoon as my liquids? I was told to enjoy my lunch and get a big coke but when it was gone no more coke. I went out and drove around. Nothing sounded good for lunch so I came back to work and ate the sandwich I brought with me. I did stop and get the biggest coke out there and followed my liquid diet until surgery. I think it was a mental thing that even though I was cleared to have my last supper I really didn't want to have it!!!

I agree that you should ask about a small meal and then even if you don't like the answer stick with it. It will be worth it in the long run.

I was on liquids for two weeks before surgery. I had a bad food bucket list that I completed before I began the liquid diet. I started on the liquids and didn't look back.

If you do decide to splurge, I would stick to lean Protein and veggies.

Good luck with your surgery.

It seems to me that you're setting yourself up for failure with this kind of attitude. This journey is every bit as much mental as it is physical. If you "cheat" the only one you're cheating is yourself - no one else. If you're already making excuses to justify bad choices and decisions, what will change after you've been banded and you want just this one cheat? You're going into surgery, and letting someone cut into you and add a foreign object into your body which will hopefully stay there for life - why on earth would you open yourself up to any further risks than absolutely necessary? While I don't have restriction in my band yet - I'm still following all the rules, because you can do things that will hurt down the road, like a slipped band or worse. And even when you get to the point you have restriction - you can still make bad choices and eat all the slider foods you want. You have to make changes in order to be successful with the band. If you're not ready to that now, then what is going to be different next week?

Sorry - I just don't understand justifying doing something that could be very reckless. Just because it turned out ok for others, doesn't mean it will turn out ok for you.

I didn't know we knew each other so well! I decided not to be "reckless" and the comments about how people had last suppers was more helpful, than your advuce above. I don't mean to be "snarky" and "pissy" but I wanted to hear experiences not a full lecture about how I am not ready for this life change. I am glad that you lost so much weight, I hope that I can be as successful, but your comments feel like judgements and not supportive advice. I think I will take a break from lapbandtalk for awhile because the "support" isn't that supportive, well for me anyway.

I hope everyone keeps doing well, and keep up the good work! I hope when I come back in about 5 mths I can say I lost around 70lbs too!

I didn't know we knew each other so well! I decided not to be "reckless" and the comments about how people had last suppers was more helpful, than your advuce above. I don't mean to be "snarky" and "pissy" but I wanted to hear experiences not a full lecture about how I am not ready for this life change. I am glad that you lost so much weight, I hope that I can be as successful, but your comments feel like judgements and not supportive advice. I think I will take a break from lapbandtalk for awhile because the "support" isn't that supportive, well for me anyway.

I hope everyone keeps doing well, and keep up the good work! I hope when I come back in about 5 mths I can say I lost around 70lbs too!

I apologize to you and anyone else that was offended by what I had to say. I've always been pretty direct, and I don't sugar coat anything. I did not mean to offend anyone. I was having a bad day, but I do believe in the things I said. Could I have found a way to say it better - probably.

My biggest concern is not you considering making a mistake - it's actually making that mistake, and doing it intentionally. For whatever reason you decided to do the right thing - I'm happy for you. It may seem hard now - but it will all be worth it once your a success. I also believe that support comes in the form of encouragement to do the right thing - not to give excuses and encourage bad choices and decisions. It's just my opinion, but anyone who would encourage you to do something that could have negative consequences does not have your best interest at heart. While I may have come across harshly, it was said with the best intentions.

I'm sure there will be times you'll fall off - I certainly have. In that case, the important thing is to get encouragement and support to keep going, and don't let it hold you back. You can do this, and you're young enough and active enough that you can probably do better than I have - and Isincerely hope you do!.

It's so crazy how different doctors have you do different things, but I'm so thankful that I do not have to be on liquids only before surgery. I just have to do low carbs for those 2 wks. No more than 40 carbs per day. I can handle that. After is going to be the hardest, with 2 wks of liquids only. I am sure I may have to take them up on one of their suggestions in my materials from the

Doc's office. They suggested if you crave something and just really want to taste it, to just take a bite or two and chew it up, but don't swallow it. Hey, I am all for that, if it gets me through the day/week.

It's keeping the carbs low. That's the main thing that helps shrink the liver for surgery, so in my opinion, I think you will be just fine to have a small low carb meal. Enjoy every morsel....and I wish you well for your surgery. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.