Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Notice Lapband Is Tighter Since Pregnant

Hi! Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a significant change in what they can eat since they found out they're pregnant? I read somewhere that one lady did, but I don't remember where I saw it. I have a 6cc fill and my surgery was 9/29/2011. I just found out yesterday by home pregnancy test that I am pregnant...Yikes! Whole 'nother story...lol. Anyway, sunday I ate the way I've been eating, than all of a sudden yesterday I could barely drink Water. Now today, the same feeling. What's going on? My last fill was the end of December so I've had plenty of time for it to "settle" in. I'm only JUST pregnant so it's not like the baby is pushing on anything. So what then? Why the sudden change? Any theories?

I'd appreciate any comments. Have a nice day!

Wendy

I'm 33 weeks pregnant now. My fill is up to a 5 and I haven't had an unfill or the need to unfill, but yes, I have felt it tighter at times, it comes and goes. you might want to go see your band doc and get an unfill, 6 may be way too tight. Good luck!

Thank you for your response. Thirty-three weeks... you're getting close :) Good for you! I wish you and the baby well. Yeah, I'm definitely thinking this band is too tight. I'm pretty sure my surgeon won't let me take a partial out. I'm pretty sure he's going to want to take it all out. That's a shame, cause I was eating normally at 5cc's. I even started GAINING weight after some time. I hope this doesn't become to much of a struggle, but I will do what I have to do. That's what us moms do :) Have a great day. Wendy

I am 10 ish weeks and def can't eat like I could...but I really feel most of it is the baby, nausea and all. I am less than a yr out also and this wasn't planned...wanted to wait until next yr, but suprise! I have found that in the morning I eat very little, and for lunch it has to be something that goes down very easy and usually it's not Protein but it's all I can handle for now...hoping we both can eat better a little further along!! Good luck!

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I just found out I was pregnant a couple of days before Christmas. It was surprise for me as well. I just had my surgery in July 2011. I notice that my food gets stuck easier than before. I eat pretty good. I have to chew well though. So far my OB hasn't asked that I get any Fluid taken out. She just told me no more fills. The baby is actually doing well. I'm 12 weeks 3 days.

Thanks for your comments!! I can't eat barely anything at all. I was eating fine up until that one day.... the day I found out I was prego that was it. Weird how it coincided. I've lost 8lbs since last Thursday. I know that cause I was at my chronic pain doctor on that day. I have many issues...lol. This will be an interesting pregnancy for sure. My appt to see the bariatric doc is on March 6th. I'm pretty sure he won't take a partial decrease. He seems like the type to take it all. I can't eat, so he's gonna have to do something. It's probably ok now being it's early on. But later it won't be good. It's all so strange. I wasn't losing weight barely anything since my surgery. Than now all of a sudden it's falling off me. This is CRAZY!! The only thing different besides having a lot of trouble eating is I'm sleeping more at night. I'm normally a serious insomniac. Usually I don't go to bed till 3am. I then get between 3-5hrs of sleep. Lately I've been going to bed around 11pm. Another thing odd is I'm not nauseous. That is very strange for me. I'm always "morning sick". I've been pregnant six other times (2 miscarriages many yrs ago) I'm usually sick till 11 or 12 weeks. So strange - the whole thing. Can't wait to see the ob doc on the 24th to make sure all is well. Thanks again for your comments. Seems LapBand surgery should come with a special warning to women of childbearing ages. Congrats on your pregnancies. I wish you both healthy pregnancies and babies. Take care and let me know how you're doing along the way :)) Wendy

We had our surgery around the same time and we're due around the same time! Congrats to you and good luck to all on this journey!

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I just found out I was pregnant a couple of days before Christmas. It was surprise for me as well. I just had my surgery in July 2011. I notice that my food gets stuck easier than before. I eat pretty good. I have to chew well though. So far my OB hasn't asked that I get any Fluid taken out. She just told me no more fills. The baby is actually doing well. I'm 12 weeks 3 days.

Well, I just wanted to give an update to my situation. I had a miscarriage last weekend. I was just under 8wks prego. Of course my husband is blaming the band, however I've had two other miscarriages in my lifetime (I just turned 46) - I've also had four live births. So only God knows. I gave the doctor's office the baby and they are going to send it to the lab. I guess they'll be able to tell me something. I meet with the OB next Friday. I am still having a lot of trouble eating. My hubby thinks I should up my appointment with the bariatric doc (not due to see him till Mar 6th). Lots of luck to all of you. I wish you all the best in your pregnancies. Take care... Wendy

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had what they called a chemical pregnancy in December, had a positive, started bleeding and then a negative test but I got pregnant again and am guessing that I'm around 8 weeks. Have restriction for the first time and I dont like it, everything is getting stuck and I feel like I'm bulimic. Hoping I can get into the military hospital here for an unfill.

Good luck with your new pregnancy. I know what you mean. It was the strangest thing how all of a sudden I had major restriction and still do. I can barely drink an 8oz Protein Shake. Tonight I ate a tiny bit with the family and suffered for hours after. I get terrible pain all in my back and kidneys. Used to be I had pain in my chest. I don't get that so much now. I can't wait to see the doc on the 6th and see what the heck is going on. I'm dropping weight, but I can barely drink Water, I know I'm not drinking enough. Well I hope all goes really well with you. Get that unfill as soon as you can. My hubby is convinced it was my lack of food that caused our loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your husband should not be blaming the band for the loss. That also makes it sound like he places some blame on you and that's awful :-( I hope you recover quickly and that things work out for you *hugs*

Also OP your symptoms sound like your gall bladder. Do you still have it? I suggest if you do to get it checked. I had similar symptoms and turns out I had a big stone

Hi Heather. Thanks for the comments. I don't have my gallbladder. It went gangrene and perforated back in 2000. THAT was a fiasco that I am blessed to be able to report today. There was a full 3 or 4 days that they really didn't think I was going to make it. Scary!

We went to see the OB doc on Friday and he said the band probably caused the pregnancy (from my weight loss stimulating hormones) NOT the other way around. The only problem I have is that I have heard that Protein consumption is vital during pregnancy. I thought that was mainly an issue after the 1st trimester. I'm thinking how many women live on ginger-ale and crackers from nausea in the 1st 11wks or so. So I didn't stress that I was't getting my 60grams or so. Now today I got an email from Pampers (a weekly status email about my pregnancy which I just un-subscribed to) that said in the 10th week you should be getting 100 grams of quality Protein. The baby's development depends on it. I haven't been able to eat a regular diet since Jan 30th certainly not anywhere near 60 let alone 100 grams of protein.

By the way, I saw the bariatric doc and he said that the change in restriction was caused by the pregnancy. He said you gain Water weight which I take as the extra Water weight basically pushed my liquid into the band which is causing this sudden restriction. He also feels that I may be getting food stuck because I don't have a mouth full of teeth right now. I had several teeth pulled in preparation of my partials which are being made so I basically only have front teeth (not very good for chewing). He suggested that I process my food until my teeth are done. I don't know... I'm happy with the weight loss, but still today I've ate next to nothing and when I do eat I'm so uncomfortable that I don't want to eat again. I've lost 19lbs in 4wks. Maybe I should just have some chicken broth. I really want a yogurt, even that is hurting my stomach/back. I'm gonna let this go for awhile. But eventually this has to end. I'm not eating a healthy diet at all. I guess we'll see what happens. I definitely wanted to share the cause of restriction with everyone as I know others have experienced it as well.

Take care, Wendy

I am the opposite. I am gaining weight pretty quickly and I am pregnant with twins. I lost 100 pounds with my band(July,2009). I had my last fill April, 2011. I have gained about 15 lbs since last fall (I weighed 165 in October and now I am 180). I also got married last fall and I believe that I have gained due to the fact that I needed an adjustment prior to getting pregnant...sometimes I worry about slippage/erosion causing weight gain...I still feel restriction though...I just eat more often. I am scared that I am going to gain too much weight. I know I am pregnant but it is hard to see that scale moving up. Anyone else out there tell me what it is like to gain weight while banded...I never gained weight before...I would see the scale stop moving down and get an adjustment. At 165 lbs, I wore a size 10, and I am wearing a medium maternity pants, so maybe it is just the babies...I don't know..advice, please.

When are you due? Found out I'm pregnant with twins as well, just over 11 weeks now. I went ahead and had a full unfill. I lost about 5 lbs before I had the unfill and have gained that back plus another 5 since. Still can't stand meat or anything healthy, it's mostly carbs and sugar that I'm craving which I know is what makes me gain.