Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestion For Adult Board

Tank you, Nicky's mom. We do it in jest (as I stated). This old world is too ready to cause real problems and troubles and pain. I try to lighten things up and make someone smile just once. (note to Nicky's Mom...I remember going thru all those years while our kids were in school, never having a name, just "Wendy's Dad or Wesley's Dad" *good times*)

I personally love the "XXX" threads, and try to post even if I don't really have something to add just so I'll get the notices when they update... lol

BUT, I can certainly understand why many people don't like them. Clearly title-ing the thread is mandatory courtesy, I think.

As far as an adult board, as much as I enjoy these discussions, I probably wouldn't go to the trouble to log in to a seperate, specifically adult thread board. I like it all mixed up, and I'm mostly here for keeping up with old friends, offering occasional "good" advice (IMHO! lol), and then the comedy and other stuff that comes along.

Just my .02...

Donali, I agree. I dont mind reading them... until things get raunchy.

The "access" to view these threads could depends on our birthdate, fromwhen we registered?! just a thought.

Sure, some will lie. But it'll make those that are worried about minors reading it, feel better.

Just thought I would ad my 2 cents as a newbie here on the forum with lots of forum experience. My husband is a moderator on about 6 diffrent computer related forums and I have been moderator on a few others. (computer as in software and hardware related topics) so here is what I think.

1. people always get off the topic of the forum, and thats when we get to truly learn about the other people, their thoughts, feelings, life style etc. I think it humanizes us all.

2. People always have diffrent opinions, ways of talking, ways of responding etc. and we dont see how what we say effects others or how others effect us. Thats the nature of an online forum, any where you go. So try to bear that in mind next time your outraged by some ones response. They may not mean it the way it sounds.

3. I do find that some of the threads here give way to much info, and no they aren't all clearly marked, just as an example the thread about things stuck in places, i didn't realize what it was until i read it, and after i read it i thought why did i need to know this.

I think that a password locked adult thread would be a bit extreme, but I am all for marking adult realted threads with some sort of code, or even making a diffrent section on the forum for adult related content. It's not all that uncommon for lots of forums (even geek computer forums) to have an adult content section. (not locked or any thing, just clearly marked)

I hear what you guys are saying about leaving if you don't want to read something, but when its not clearly marked and you read even just the first part, that's it, its stuck in your head, you already read it (like the one i read about things being stuck in places) I don't think this is about offending others or being offensive, but about being polite to others on the forum by letting them know in the subject that what their about to read may be offensive or adult related (or religious as the case my be)

Thats what the subject is for right?

The easy solution is to eliminate the Lounge entirely and keep LBT related directly to Adjustable Gastric Lapband discussions.

I'd absolutely discuss sex in a room of 5000 people to drown out preaching bible thumpers or Jesus talk. There was a Sunday "Bloody Mary & Beer Breakfast" at the biker convention in Vegas, where we were forced to hear Christians slurping cocktails through the intercom doing a church session. The last thing I need while enjoying a cold beer at Bikefest is hearing someone's distorted opinions of God, so we walked to the other end of the event till mass ended and let them "do their thing."

I don't like religious avatars, biblical quotes, psalms in signature lines, but they've never stopped me from loving some beautiful people here like Paula, Big Daddy, Dylansmom, etc. I admire their faith and appreciate their choice, and they in turn put up with my rants and raves while laughing with me (or at me, but at least we're laughing.)

My college teachers urged me towards a political career since I'm the one in 500 who's not afraid to speak up when someone attempts to quash my principles. Despite the common rule of etiquette to, "Never discuss politics or religion in public," these boards are polluted with political and religious discussions. I'm also freaked out by Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken's creepy avatars and Star Trek, but that's what makes us each colorful in our own right. Choices.

I'm a proud American that loves this crazy country. If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd be a big-mouth political force getting arrested for riding my Harley topless down Las Vegas Blvd. I'd remain topless till laws changed forcing men to cover their hairy nipples in public. If our foremothers hadn't stood up for justice like I do, women wouldn't be allowed to drive or vote.

I'm proud of who I am, but I'm not proud of how callous and cruel my anger drives me to say things that hurt people. I'm really not. When someone contradicts my freedom of speech by telling me prayers are okay but discussing oral sex isn't, it's like throwing gasoline on a blazing fire ~ it infuriates me. I openly admit I'm the 2nd biggest ass here. My overly-passionate views are so deeply integrated within the core of my eating disorder that it drives me to angry places. I get regular PMs, calls & e-mails thanking me for saying things others are afraid to say, and my threads are probably the most popular ones because I incite anger, analysis and emotion. Any therapist will tell you that writing your anger down and getting it out of your heart is the exact road to healing.

Since the Lounge won't close, I'm making this my last public post since I won't live in a fairytale world where it's better to bury feelings than scare people with REALITY. Not to mention morbidly obese folks thinking they can fix other morbidly obese people by insulting them. I'll continue updating my Challenge thread, and our summer bash will still be on if enough people are interested. I'm always available through my website.

Since I'm always right, I have nothing left to say. **Ducking to avoid hundreds of flying shoes** It's okay to laugh.

Since the Lounge won't close, I'm making this my last public post.

Well Lisa, I HOPE your LBT compulsion will stop you from sticking to that!

You know we would all miss you terribly. Yep, you're pretty shocking sometimes--but never, NEVER have I been bored by a word out of your fingers! LBT w/o DeLarla would be like unsalted butter.

Hey, DeLarla -

I didn't know I had been promoted to the Biggest Ass - Wow! Thanks!!

If we are voting here - I think that we don't need an Adult Content forum or section. I think that the Mods should be encouraged to mark anything they consider to be Adult Content and move anything to the lounge that seems appropriate.

While I enjoy a little play as much as the next gal, I don't think we should have a special area that is designated as a Raunch Fest.

I haven't felt overwhelmed by Adult Content - but then, I have been busy lately.

And people - if you buy into God - then you have to buy into the fact that God created humans, sex and all the other stuff on the planet. Taboo is what we make it.

Personal choice is yours. To Read or Not to Read... That is the question.

:]

Much earlier on someone made the argument that a locked forum would protect under eighteeners from offensive material. Wanna hear my two pennies? Reading about sex, even NASTY sex is healthier than banding kids under 18. Why would they even come to the board?

Of course this touches on a whole other topic that would best be explored on the discussion board, right?

Going WAY back in this thread:

(my mom NEVER let me online unless she was right there with me, I never got to see the dirty stuff when I was little) (which is a good thing)

My mom didn't either. That's cause computers hadn't been invented yet!

I vote for putting "adult topic" in title when appropriate, then no one gets surprised.

I say we adopt a set disclaimer in the subject {like "Adult topic"} would make it easier to do a search for those topics, if that's what you like to read {wink} not me, I'm naughty ... err, I mean nice ... yeah, yeah - that's it ... nice ...

ROFLMAO -

Personally, I really enjoy the "adult content" posts. So far, I have been able to tell by something mentioned in the title. I think that is common courtesy.

As for having a locked, age appropriate forum for adult content...I don't have a problem with that, but why would we need it? There was maybe only one post I've read so far that was so "adult" in nature that maybe was a little sensitive. No one was graphic and without being too descriptive, I understood everything they were referring to because of experience. No one used vulgar terminology or anything.........

I haven't come across one of those shocking ones I wished I hadn't read and couldn't get out of my head, yet. I think the majority of us are here, for the most part because of our lap band journey. We stray once in a while because we're people with lives to live, but the basic reason is still there.

BTW, DeLarla--I'll take those Johnny Depp avatars if you come across them--YUM.:love:

No Renebean, I'M the biggest ass... Not you, me! (mutters something unintelligible about stupid rabbits complaining because they've only lost 80 pounds in three months.. mumble mumble. stupid rabits....)

I think it is enough that thread titles are tagged "Adult" or "XXX" or "Dr. Ruth" but not having seperate forums. If a thread starts out not talking about sex, but moves that way, then the title should be editied by a Moderator to refect it's new status.

Much earlier on someone made the argument that a locked forum would protect under eighteeners from offensive material. Wanna hear my two pennies? Reading about sex, even NASTY sex is healthier than banding kids under 18. Why would they even come to the board?

Of course this touches on a whole other topic that would best be explored on the discussion board, right?

Banding under 18 is wise because without the band, I might be not be the 30 lbs lighter that I am, but 30+ lbs heavier. Why ruin your life by being overweight. And I come here for the same reason that anyone else comes. I come to get help and give what I can.

Sorry to offend but I felt it needed said

I have no problems with kids who need to be banded getting the band. I"m not talking vain parents who "think" their kids are fat, but young adults who need the band.

I would rather restrict violence from young adults than sex. I mean, I don't want anyone to ever have to kill or hit anyone ever. Sex on the other hand...