Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestion For Adult Board

Hm.. interesting. It would seem to me that if the owner and moderators of LBT wanted the place to have topic/content restrictions, it would have been mentioned when we signed up to join the group. I can see how some of these topics mind offend new people that dont know what a bunch of joking goofballs we all are, but those of us who have been here long enough should be able to discern whether or not they wish to read a thread. I have started reading a thread that was mildly sexual and then turned extreme (for me) so I just stopped going into that thread. I dont think we need a locked area. As stated, we are all adults here and children can find much worse on the net - their parents should be monitoring them!

I also watch the new posts come up at the top of the main page and that's where I do most of my activity. I'm not sure how much coding it would take, but perhaps there is a way to put the new posts thing inside the top of each forum, rather than one that shows posts from all forums? And then perhaps start a new forum for Adult Topics Only? Not locked, but clearly marked. That way new folks wont be faced with things which might offend them when they arrive.

I started reading the thread about "parts getting stuck in parts" & realized it wasn't what I wanted to read & I went to another one. I wasn't offended by it or mad that it was posted on a lapband website. I just simply clicked my mouse & went to another thread. It truly is OUR choice what we want to read.

I kinda have to agree with Alex on this one. I'm not sure that having an Adult Content area would be beneficial. We all still have the choice to go there or not. Just like we have the choice to open up a specific thread. Personally, I don't want this website to attract the weirdos out there who might google XXX & up comes lapbandtalk. Ack!! Scary.

My viewpoint / questions

1. Can VBulletin (what the board runs on) even support this feature?

2. I've seen no thread topics that were offensive. Even thread topics like XXX Thread for Women only!!. Surely it's only offensive when you open it and look inside?

3. My major concern would be for minors. If young / underage people visit this board it would be no bad thing to at least nominally segregate the threads.

4. If this was put in place, I think there would need to be 'age acknowledgement' and 'legal' disclaimers put in place that certain sections contain adult content.

5. It might not hurt to add that some threads contain adult content anyway - just as part of what you acknowledge when you sign up.

I personally don't go into the adult threads because I likely would be offended by the contents.

Those are my thoughts.

I think we can make a stronger effort to name threads clearly. The orifice thread, for example, should have been tagged Adults Only right from the start, and if everyone agrees the moderators can just go in and add an "Adult" to the thread name whenever something like that occurs. I'd find that much preferable to having to send a password to people who ask.

Incidentally, Dawg, yes, password-protected forums are definitely possible.

Someone.... no names mentioned made a great point that there are people offended by religion...

It irks me to see all the religion posts... but I have NEVER complained about it nor suggested another thread. (until now obviously)

To an atheist or someone who doesn't believe in God... these suggestions of prayers are surely very offensive??? Do they need to restrain themselves as us that like to talk about sex need to???

Have I missed something?

Where are all these "religious" post?

NJChick, I don't know the first thing about running boards like LBT, but I do know the concern you are expressing. Now, I do skip the sexual content threads, because (call me a fuddy-duddy if you wish) I believe there IS such a thing as too much information. I think it is a fairly simple matter to skip them. It would also be a fairly simple matter to exercise some self-restraint in relation to what is posted here.

I didn't know that XXX topics and religious topics were equal, but it is interesting to think about how that could be true. And why.

Let's have fun, but let's be civil(ized). I don't think good manners have ever gone out of style.

Thanks for trying, Eileen.

Cindy

One solution is to stop reading if a thread gets offensive, off topic, hateful, etc.... However, I think Alexandra's suggestion is also an easy sensible solution, to have a moderation tag "Adult content" on any thread not specified as such. That would make it very clear what topic is about.

It would be great if people would just post non-band topics in the lounge, but unfortunatly they dont always post there.

However, I think Alexandra's suggestion is also an easy sensible solution, to have a moderation tag "Adult content" on any thread not specified as such. That would make it very clear what topic is about.

It would be great if people would just post non-band topics in the lounge, but unfortunatly they dont always post there.

Only if the topic starts out with sexual content will that help.

I know there's no easy solution to this but with some more ideas maybe we could come up with something that will work, something that will bring folks back here and/or out of lurkdom.

Have I missed something?

Where are all these "religious" post?

There was the "WLS...a Spiritual Issue" thread that was titled appropriately, and the first sentence of the post was "for those with a decidedly Christian worldview", although anyone, of course, was welcome to post. I thought that thread went wonderfully well and I enjoyed it lots more than the XXX threads. And yes, I have read them, but have abstained from posting once things got past my raunchy zone.

There are also plenty of posts requesting prayers, healing vibes, white lights, etc. For example, Crystal is a "white lights" girl and I'm a "prayer" girl. She sends her white lights to me, I say prayers on her behalf. Works out great. The key is respect. I try to pay attention to the preferences/beliefs/sensibilities of others. If they don't mind me praying, I will and I'll say so. But I won't pretend to send white lights. That's just out of my realm. I'll give you what I got. If you got white lights for me...I'll take 'em, and I value them!

Anyhow, in my opinion, threads with adult sexual content and comments should be marked as such, and if a thread is in the wrong Forum, any moderator can move it. If a thread starts out non-sexual and turns XXX, it should be moved and marked.

I do see a difference between threads with religious comments and threads with sexual innuendo. Anyone can argue with me if you want, there's so much debating going on lately, I may as well get a backbone. Hey, maybe I'll start posting references to my religious beliefs in every post...see how many people I can offend? Maybe I'll start a thread for "Christians Only" or a thread for "Bible Memory Verse Challenge". Think that could be a Sticky? Nah, that's just rabble-rousing.

Yah, I'm punchy tonight. Sorry :)

Sex?? I remember that (I think) ..... Sex not only stops with marriage, but with weight loss as well, doesn't it??? oh well, I'll just have to keep losing weight, and take my chances!! LMAO .....

I belong to a number of online boards, and I gotta say, this is one of the tamest I visit. LOL But just about every board, with many people involved, turn to sex at some point here and there. Just as it turns to prayers, men vs women jokes, politics, and so on. Very rarely can a group of people get together to discuss one topic, and not touch on another topic. I think that, in a situation like this one, weight loss touches many aspects of our lives, so many topics are talked about. And sex is a biggie!! Sex changes dramatically with weight loss/gain, and quite often people become freer when they break out of that fat cocoon. This is a healthy, private, anonymous place for some to push the boundries, find their niche, ask questions and find humor in their changing sexuality. Its isn't for everyone, but it is good it is there and available for a few. I think that good thread titles are greatly in need and appreciated, but I think a seperate section would be bad. We would then come down to trying to decide what is "too raunchy" and someone with a serious question (like delarla's in regards to plastic surgery) might not get answered.

That's my $.02

Pattman, I've heard it said that the one thing that a woman can eat to kill all sexual desire is her own wedding cake... That would fit in with what you said, wouldn't it? (IT'S A JOKE...)

Pattman has told me that his wife is having problems with her band and is coming to this board for support. Just a heads up y'all. I would hate to have her arrive to see us laughing about her private relationship with her husband on an open forum. There is already a lot of hurt going on there.

I have already *bonked* Pattman on the head for this in a PM. Dork. :D

Ummmmm, can you send ME all the dirty posts???? I've never seen them. :biggrin1:

Seriously...if you don't like what you're reading turn the page. I think you guys are funny and like reading your posts.

Ummmmm, can you send ME all the dirty posts???? I've never seen them. :biggrin1:

Seriously...if you don't like what you're reading turn the page. I think you guys are funny and like reading your posts.

Follow me around... I tend to find the naughty ones *evil grin*