Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does This Really Work

Ok I am in the process of going through WLS... I have 2 more appointments and I am getting a lot of negative feedback about the lap band.... I am a nurse and I am not really familiar with lap band, except for what I have researched but I inquire many patients that have it. One patient I had today had the lap band in 2006 at 250lbs and is at about 240 today. Should I go for the gusto and get gastric or should I go for the lap band?? CONFUSED AT TIMES. ALL COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED... AND FYI... I AM 5'4 242 LBS...

This like all weight loss surgery is a tool. I know several people who have had By-Pass and have lost nothing or have gained it back. You will have to change your way of living, the WLS will not do the work, you have to do it. Eat right and exercise are the keys. You will have to change the way you live. Doing the wrong things will not have positive results. Now, many people have had success, but remember that the choice is yours.

It worked for me. I'm 5'3 and I started this journey weighing 196 lbs today I weight 171 and it's only been 5 months! It is about you making better food choices but the band has helped me do that. Alot of stuff I used to eat doesn't even sound good to me anymore, when before surgery I didn't know how I was gonna go without. I was a die hard diet soda drinker, I have not had a soda since 8-10-11 and I don't even miss it, I'm a tea drinker now and I use sweetner with 0 calories. I LOVE to eat at Deli's now for lunch and a cup of Soup and 1/2 a sandwitch without eating the bread makes me feel Super stuffed. Breakfast is a Protein Shake (weekends I have a "real" breakfast) and it keeps me full until lunch time. Never in a million years would I have been able to do that pre band! Good luck. For me this is the best decision ever, I"m loving the results!

I was originally scheduled to get the vertical sleeve. A week before surgery, my insurance coordinator called to tell me that I did not qualify for the sleeve because my BMI was not over 50, but that I DID qualify for the lapband. I was soooo upset! I cried all day! My doctors office had not given me a positive view of the lapband either. They tended to push the sleeve. Anyways, to make a long story short, I am glad I did not qualify for the sleeve. I truley believe the lapband was the best thing that could have happened to me. I am just a little over 2 months out and have already lost 41 pounds. It's really not that hard either! I don't crave or want sweets or soda and I just make better choices. I also started going back to the gym. The only hard part is that because I haven't reached restriction yet, I have to think about my portion sizes. That's easy to do when I eat at home, but not so much when I eat out. I usually just eat half of what's put in front of me. Anyways, I definitely think this is something you have to WANT to do in order to succeed. Do your research and see where it leads you! Good luck! :)

Yes, it does work. I am over three years banded, lost 130% of my excess weight and have kept it off easily.

Does it work for everyone? Not necessarily. But short answer is, yes it does work for a lot of people.

I am a newbie and just had my lap band just a week ago and I have lost 12pounds so far. It takes work on your part it is not a fix all. The lap band gives you a tool that helps you control your appetite. They say that the weight loss at 3 years can be equivalent to the gastric bypass at 3 years. The gastric full bypass comes with a lot of health changes as well and once you do it you cannot change it. It matters to me because of the difference in medication absorption. good luck.

Yes, it really worked for me and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, even self pay again if I had to...it was an epic struggle at first to learn the adjustments needed but now that I am in maintenance its pretty easy and just a lifestyle for me...

I would def get the lapband over the bypass! I was about your height and weight and I am down 82 pounds. I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary and I know I couldn't have made it this far without the band! I still struggle with hunger, hoping my fill next month will take care of it. But one thing for sure, I could never eat the amount I ate before and finish in 5 minutes like I used to.

I love my band. My loss has been slow, 20lbs over four months. I feel great and am excited about the future. The band is a TOOL, you must remember that. It is not the answer. But, it works. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Best of luck to you!

I feel so much better now. my weight loss has been slow and steady.

I have been heavy for so many years, I can't remember when I wore regular sized clothes? I now wear size 14 pants.

I am trying to look at this as a life style change - FOR LIFE. I want to swim and ride a bike without feeling weird. I can now walk long distance comfortably. food tastes good now. I was a carb freak, yes I would love to eat bakery goods but today I choose not to.

I think the best thing I am now doing is communicating. I am trying not to feel shame over the "lost years" of obesity. I love this forum and feel it helps me keep going.

this has to be your decision, try not to buy into everyone else's story as you hear them.

best of luck to you.

If I could dissuade you from anything, it would be Gastric Bypass.

At least if you have the Lap Band, it can be reversed if you experience problems.

I am going on 4 years and getting mine out soon.

I would do much more extensive research before sealing the deal.

I regret my banding because of the many long term side effects I've experienced.

I wish you all the best in your weightloss journey.

im close to your size, 5'3 and was 225 lbs when i started looking at lap band last sept. i lost 6 lbs before i was banded dec 13th, and have lost 10 lbs since then. its all been a slow steady weight loss , a mild pain in my left side for the 1st 10 days, but felt fine otherwise. i know im on my way to sucess because i did my homework 1st. talk to anyone who has had it and read everything you can to make an informed decision. wait until you start getting NSV's (non scale victories) and compliments on your weight loss! you'll be so glad you got the band when some one calls you "a hot mama!!" best of luck to you !!

I will have my surgery 2-20-12... I am so nervous!!!! Will it hurt at first??? How much does an average person loose after surgery...i will be going on vacation in June and was wondering how much would i loose by then...

I will have my surgery 2-20-12... I am so nervous!!!! Will it hurt at first??? How much does an average person loose after surgery...i will be going on vacation in June and was wondering how much would i loose by then...

You will have some pain from the surgery in general and the gas that they use to inflate your tummy. The key to getting rid of the gas pain and a quick recovery is walk, walk, and walk as much as you can. The night I stayed over in the hospital I was up walking every hour and nurses kept asking if I was OK doing all this, it really did help. You cannot put a number of what you will lose after surgery. You will most likely not have much or any restriction after surgery for several weeks. What you will need to do is start eating right and doing more physical activity than you have before. The period after surgery is typically called Bandster hell since you have little to no restriction and can eat what you want. But, this is a time for change and a good time to start changing your lifestyle for the good.

I was originally scheduled to get the vertical sleeve. A week before surgery, my insurance coordinator called to tell me that I did not qualify for the sleeve because my BMI was not over 50, but that I DID qualify for the lapband. I was soooo upset! I cried all day! My doctors office had not given me a positive view of the lapband either. They tended to push the sleeve. Anyways, to make a long story short, I am glad I did not qualify for the sleeve. I truley believe the lapband was the best thing that could have happened to me. I am just a little over 2 months out and have already lost 41 pounds. It's really not that hard either! I don't crave or want sweets or soda and I just make better choices. I also started going back to the gym. The only hard part is that because I haven't reached restriction yet, I have to think about my portion sizes. That's easy to do when I eat at home, but not so much when I eat out. I usually just eat half of what's put in front of me. Anyways, I definitely think this is something you have to WANT to do in order to succeed. Do your research and see where it leads you! Good luck! smile.png

Because my husband and i are home alone now that our two boys are on there own, we eat out a lot.

If i make a suggestion..... I too use to have a hard time when eating out. Not anymore, what i do now is... when the server comes to take my order i tell him/her .... When you bring my food, bring a go box at the same time. At this time the server will look at you like your an alien....lol. I then put away all by what i know i should eat. I never go back to the box. Then depending on what i ordered, i have lunch for the next couple days. Hope this helps you.