Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Are You Telling About Your Lap Band Surgery?

Hello, i am new to the boards...well been looking for a while but new to posting! u

Just wondering who have you guys told about your band? If you dont tell people is it very obvious by the way you are eating?

I ask because my husband and I have very different ideas about this. He doesn't think I should tell anyone including family. He fully supports me but he doesn't want people judging me or being ignorant about what I am doing and since we are paying also about the money we are spending. He knows its going to be alot of work too and doesn't want people making me feel bad about trying to take the easy way out. I just don't think there is any way that my sister isn't going to notice somethings up...but she is also a person who will tell the whole world.

Its hard because Im not embarrassed about the surgery but I am embarrassed about how big I have gotten and that its come to this.

I am wondering about this too. I think I have decided that if someone asks I will tell them. I don't want to be dishonest but they will also be told about how hard this is and about the fabulous foods I have promised myself I would never have again since they are what gote to 300 pounds in the first place

You have the right to absolute privacy concerning any medical condition. Tell or don't tell whomever you choose.

Most overweight people have underlying health conditions that might cause them to reduce their weight, I chose

to lose weight to overcome diabetes. Just how I decided to lose that weight is my business.

I understand not telling co-workers and those you are n

Sorry...hit reply by mistake. I understand not telling co-workers and people you are n

Both my husband and myself had the lapband this year. His was in April and mine in August. We decided to tell my family and his family. No judgment what so ever from either part. To this day he hasn't tell anybody from his work even thought he has drop 98 lbs and its oviosly very noticeable. The only person that I regret telling is a "friend" of mine, before we used to see each other or at least call each other 2 to 3 times a week. But she told me straight out that she doesn't like to be the fat friend.

I apologize...I was typing from my phone and it kept sending the post before I was ready...if a mod could delete the previous posts.

Anyhoo...I understand that you wouldn't want to tell co-workers and people that you don't know well, but it is also important to remember how important a support system is during this journey.

I am on the fence about how many people to tell as well, but I also want to be able to go to social gatherings and family events and not have to explain why I am eating so little (and to avoid offending the hosts, lol). As long as you are selective I think you would be suprised how many people will encourage and help you along the way.

:0)

I told all four of my sisters, my family, and my husband's family. They all have been very supportive. It is definitely up to you who all you tell and don't feel obligated to tell anybody anything.

Lluna - That is sad that your friend could not be more supportive and happy for you! Just keep up the good work and don't let people like that get you down.

Well I'm the total opposite of y'all...I told everybody!! I knew that I would need an huge support network, at home, at work and with my friends. That way when I feel like I'm falling off the wagon there's always some one who can talk me through it. Additionally I've had some friends and coworkers actually get the lap band after seeing me go through the process...I think that's kinda cool!! Hope this helps!!

Kelly

I'm with Kelly on this one. I tell everybody. I dont care who knows. I dont go around announcing it, but if someone asks about my weight loss, I tell them. But I do tell them about how I have changed my eating habits and exercize too. They know is work for me and that the band is not just some magic bullet that fixes your issue.The way I look at it is that being overweight is no different from any other health issue. If a smoker is trying to quit, noone frowns upon them using the patch, blood pressure or high cholesterol conditions have medications to help them get it under control. The band is a tool to help us get our condition under control.

Corrigan is right. You have the right to tell or not tell anyone. I just would rather be upfront and honest about it from the start if someone asks me. I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone elses business anyway so better for them to here it from me than someone else. I really have had nothing but support and positive reaction though.

Good luck on your journey.

I also tell everyone. I have a blog that I link to on my Facebook page.. everyone has been SOOO supportive. The only thing I got tired of is any time we went out to eat (which really isnt that often at all) , I would never get questioned about how little i was eating, but i would get questioned because i never order a drink.. so my hubby would feel the need to tell the waitress that i had surgery. after a few times, i asked him to not say anything and that i would handle that. he understood and it hasnt been a problem since. :)

I work with men and most of them very fit due to the job, so I only told some of my close peers, I will be out from the 22nd till Jan 2 and prob do 15/20 lbs in that time, ( hopefully) All some know is about my hernia. Too much tiki tiki, men gossip more than women. and all my kids and grands know,,, I threaten to steal their skinny jeans!! I am sorry you lost friends due to weight loss, I know that is hard, but also common. how can two walk together unless they agree. Move on and maybe your real best friend is around the corner.

I tell everyone. If someone asks about how I lost all the weight I feel it is dishonest to say I eat less and exercise more .....or anything that is not the truth ..... I got lapband. It works! It was EASY! Why would I take the hard way? It would be a shame to get someone's hopes up about the old fashoned dieting that does not work. I have not had any bad feedback at all. I was banded in July 2009 and have told many people since then. People will know you have had some sort of WLS if you eat around them and you have dropped a large amount of weight.

I am so proud of my band that I tell anyone and everyone. That makes it easier, no one tries to push food off on you. At work we had a Christmas dinner, and they were especially attentive not to give me more than I wanted. Folks are more understanding than even I thought they would be, especially those who know how hard I tried to diet and suffer from failure every time. A lot of people are curious, but if they think I am taking an easy way out, I go out to lunch with them and they see what I eat as apposed to what they eat and realize it is still hard, I just have help, and it is working!! YAY

I agree Humming Bird, If asked I wont conceal the truth at all, however Heather0831, I think like your husband and believe that it's best to let people ask than to just go running around spreading the news because as Lluna has proven by her quote from her former friend, not everyone, including those whom we consider to be friends, will see this as a positive thing or "good" news.

Personally, I have told only 2 people: My sister who's always been my biggest supporter in fitness (she's a lovely size 6 at 5'11 and gorgeous!), and my Boss coincidentally, because I like her alot, she struggles with her weight as well and now we are on the journey together! Overall 3 people know outside of myself and that is my hubby, my sis and boss and I plan to keep it that way until people begin to inquire.