Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lap Band Weight Loss Story

Hello everyone I'm a new Member,

I live in nashville. had my surgery 3 years ago, and have lost 103 pds. Went from a 20-22 jeans to a size 6. Wish I have had the surgery years ago. Being the largest kid in grade school was so bad. Had so many friends ,but nobody wants a heavy girl friend. So I was the one that made jokes and everyone thought I was funny. My surgery was with Dr. Morton at Baptist Hospital. I've only had to have one ajustment, lost so much weight in 2 months they had to take out some from my pouch. I have kept my weight off for 2 years now.I need to post a before and after picture. The hanging skin doesn't look good ,but clothes will cover that up.. The only question I have for anyone who has had the surgery is the uncontrolable gas. I know that sounds funny, but I have gas when I eat or don't eat. My family and freinds calls it the walking farts LOL.

Does anyone else have this problem? If you do could you help me stop it. Before the surgery I never would let anyone ever know that I had gas.Now it just slips out and I can't control it. I'm 58 and have been married for 41 years. He has always loved me no matter what size I was , but know it's like he has a new wife he can pick up and I'm not bigger than him.

Thanks,

Brenda

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Gas is the bane of all new Lap band patients (and some not so new). GasX strips help and some

like the chews. Swallowing air doesn't usually bother banders, but, of course, it can. Maybe

keeping downwind?

Congratulations on your weight loss and new lease on life. Having battled gas before the lapband, I just don't really sweat it. It is such a small thing compared to the rest of what is right in my life now.

I too am 58 and my bandiversary is 12/20/11. I have had the band for 3 years and still have gas issues. It is natural and I just have learned to make noises by shutting my desk drawer when I feel the gas escaping and I act totally ignorant when it slips out. I have heard that beano tablets prevent gas but I don't think it is that bad to have to start to use pills for it. It has however come in handy having this gas when inconsiderate smokers sit on the side of me and puff their brains out and I can hardly breathe with THEIR smoke in my face. I usually reciprocate with my god given talent from banding of the uncontrolled gas and sometimes it does the trick of moving someone fast. LOL Don't sweat the small things, I am so thrilled to be where I am that gas every day is a small price to pay. I guess it is all in how you look at it. Smile and just act normal and usually the people I work with wonder if that was my shoe rubbing on the floor or gas??