Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band, have lots of questions!

I am currently considering WLS.

I'm leaning towards the Lap Band but still weighing all my decisions. (No pun intended, lol!)

So obviously I have lots of question and concerns and figured y'all would be the best to ask!

Here are my questions for now/concerns:

Did you consider any other weight loss surgery options? What were they, and what made you finally choose Lap Band?

Do any of you have any excess skin horror stories?

Did any of you have Cosmetic surgery/tummy tuck etc. to correct excess skin and your insurance paid for it?

When can you get your first fill?

How many fills did it take to feel restriction?

Any of you became pregnant while having the lap band ? Were there any complications? Did this negatively affect your weight loss journey?

I am currently considering WLS.

I'm leaning towards the Lap Band but still weighing all my decisions. (No pun intended, lol!)

So obviously I have lots of question and concerns and figured y'all would be the best to ask!

Here are my questions for now/concerns:

Did you consider any other weight loss surgery options? What were they, and what made you finally choose Lap Band? I chose the lap band as I have less than one hundred pounds to lose. I am not interested in the RNY or the sleeve as I am not willing to risk malapsortion issues. I am still preop. Also, the procedure is less invasive and can be reversed if it fails.

Do any of you have any excess skin horror stories? I will have as I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which causes your skin to lose elasticity. My skin is already stretched a lot. I just cover it up with clothes.

Did any of you have Cosmetic surgery/tummy tuck etc. to correct excess skin and your insurance paid for it? Like I said, still preop, and ins will not pay for cosmetic sugery unless medically indicated for problems such as skin infections that won't clear up. If you are prone to this problem, keep a journal of your infections and what you do for them. It is also best if you go to your PCP each time and have it documented.

When can you get your first fill? I believe it is anywhere from four to six weeks after surgery. But don't hold me to it.

Welcome to our forum! A great bunch of knowledgeable people who are very supportive. Wishing you all the best. Feel free to message me if I can help you in any way.

Melinda

Any of you became pregnant while having the lap band ? Were there any complications? Did this negatively affect your weight loss journey?

How many fills did it take to feel restriction? don't know yet, I have heard people with several different time frames.

Any of you became pregnant while having the lap band ? Were there any complications? Did this negatively affect your weight loss journey? I am beyond child bearing years. Again, my clinic asks that you wait eighteen months to two years to try to conceive.

Sorry I missed these,lol

MH

Well. let's see, I didn't consider any other WLS after researching the other surgeries

because I thought I'd just as soon keep as many body parts as I could, and my PCP

suggested the band because it's the safest and least invasive.

I probably won't have any cosmetic surgery, at my age, what's the point?

I haven't had any fills yet and until I have hunger problems, I probably won't.

As for getting pregnant. I won't address that.

I'm probably going to receive flack for this. I'm a nurse & I've taken care of more than my share of bypass patients.I remember 1 patient in particular that started @ 400 lbs & she was what we would call a frequent flier. The last time I took care of her she was @ 78lbs & could not keep anything down. Once she said to me "I wish I could be the poster child as for why you shouldn't have a bypass & that my before & after pic would be right there when you would step off the elevator". I, personally couldn't go that drastic. I'm sure there are plenty of happy bypass patients. But as a nurse I would see the unhappy malnourished ones.

Did you consider any other weight loss surgery options? What were they, and what made you finally choose Lap Band?

I went in expecting to get the lap band because if there are any complications, it is removable. I asked my surgeon which surgery he would suggest, and he said, "Lap-Band, no doubt"

Do any of you have any excess skin horror stories?

I lost about 60 lbs. and did not have any excess skin. I don't know if it was because I was under 40 when I got the surgery, but it was a non-issue for me.

Did any of you have Cosmetic surgery/tummy tuck etc. to correct excess skin and your insurance paid for it?

When can you get your first fill?

I think it was about 2 months after surgery.

I got restriction after 2 fills. I still have to tweak it every few months. I get acid reflux, and it can cause pain for me. This is an illustration of the benefits of lap band versus the bypass surgery. If I ever have complications, they can be fixed by a quick unfill. Then, usually in 2 - 3 months, I go back for another fill.

I did not have personal experience with a pregnancy , but out of curiosity, I asked my surgeon about it. He said it is usually not a problem, but as soon as someone is pregnant, they should get the band completely emptied. Then, after the baby (and probably after breast feeding) , the band can be filled again.