Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Days post op, Emotional, Hungry, Still having pain

I am 7 days post op (banded 10/18/11) I am an emotional wreck. I cry at nothing, for no reason, is anyone else having this issue. I am on total liquid diet (for 30 days) and am only 7 days into this, and I am starving, my stomach just growls all day long. I have been drinking the Protein Shakes as advised by my doctor but the last 2 days have literally had to gag them down, and not becuase they taste terrible, I am just struggling to even drink them. The thought of another Protein shake literally has me gagging. Does anyone have suggestions? I am also still having lots of pain, especially when I cough, burp, or getting in and out of bed. I am trying to keep moving and taking as little pain meds as possible (they make me so tired)

I guess bottom line I feel like I am going crazy, only a week into this and already wondering if I made the right choice... Help! Any advise or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated, I am sure I am not alone in all these "after surgery" issues

On a final note... WHEN CAN I TAKE A BATH? I am dying to just sit and soak :)

@smccarty,, hang in there.. it will be ok. I am baffled at a 30 day liquid diet. But every DR is different, I am finding success making my Protein shakes rathering then buying them and they have more Protein and more filling.

i hope this little info helps, i can send you an email of what my shake consists of if you would like to try it.

Good Luck,

Jeremy

11 days banded

Wow 30 days on liquids..is real long...after 7 days my doctor told me to start mushies..to get more calories in..i was only getting an average of 500 a day on my protien shakes....so basically im on blended food..but yes I totally understand about being fed up on protien shakes...

You should ask your doctor to see if you can alternate blended food with liquids..

I portsite is real tender and it does hurt most times but I have been off meds for 6 days now...because im back to work and i have to drive. I had my surgery Oct. 14th. Im going on my second week and its not too bad..I did go to a holloween party on Sat and THAT was real hard...Sooo Much Fooooddddd.!!!! I had to stay away from the food .....it was hard...

I just made pizza for my kids and wanted to cry because I wanted to eat so bad!! I actually licked the sauce off my fingers...shameful I know! Im one week out as well, and I know how you feel! But we can do this, right?? Right???

Jeremy I have been making my own, just getting very sick of them, if you have some recipies I would love to try them, always game for new ideas!

@smccarty,, hang in there.. it will be ok. I am baffled at a 30 day liquid diet. But every DR is different, I am finding success making my Protein shakes rathering then buying them and they have more Protein and more filling.

i hope this little info helps, i can send you an email of what my shake consists of if you would like to try it.

Good Luck,

Jeremy

11 days banded

YES WE CAN DO THIS! and we WILL. I just keep telling myself the end result will be worth every ounce of suffering through the liquids and protein! The best of luck to you as well, look forward to seeing your progress!

I just made pizza for my kids and wanted to cry because I wanted to eat so bad!! I actually licked the sauce off my fingers...shameful I know! Im one week out as well, and I know how you feel! But we can do this, right?? Right???

@scmccarty I think we all go through the Post Op depression when we are wondering if we made a mistake and ruined our lives!

just realize that its part of the process (it was my mind trying to rationalize getting more calories)

Its kind of like a baby throwing a tantrum when they want some food.

concerning the shakes, I'm with you on that!

I started adding different flavors, blended with fruits, Decaf instant coffee, pumpkin puree (for fiber!), and strawberry flavoring (or syrups) to change it up!

I was also tired of the consistency and texture so i would heat it, cool it, blend it with ice, mix some in pudding, etc...

Just try and get creative.

I was Lucky in that I was only in discomfort for a 5 days Post Op, but i did take the medicine for three days then switched to Gas X and liquid tylenol for 3 days after that ( or now for headaches).

As far as the getting in and out of bed, I had to roll myself or try to lower myself with a handle i made for myself (attached to bed)

the pain when coughing or burping is due to the position of the band in relation to the nerves in your diaphragm.

It will go away eventually, but it might be part of the reason for such a long liquid period.

The first few months are for recovery and experimentation, so listen to your body.

To help with the pain/gas/motivation start moving and start drinking!

At least 1/2 hour a day of walking and 64 oz of liquids. (32 of Water 32 of protein) or about 6oz every hour you're awake.

If you hydrated you will feel soooo much better during this period.

I had to keep glasses full of different liquids (water, Soups, Protein shakes, juices, fresh juices, Fresh veggie juice, etc...)

Well, little kid glasses 6 oz full, so i could grab and drink every hour OR when i was hungry.

Just Hang in There!

Make lists of everything you're not going to miss about being over weight

And everything your going to love about being healthy!

BLOG! in a journal, online, in crayon.

Just get out all the bad/frustrated or even silly/happy feelings onto paper so that you can look back and see every part of your journey.

Sorry this was long, I just remember having all of those feelings and all of the great and wonderful advice i got from research, friends (new and old), Dr's, strangers, and a whole host of other people.

In case this helps:

YOU MADE THE CORRECT DECISION!

HOORAY FOR YOU! welldoneclap.gifwaytogo.gifhurray.gifparty.gifsuccess1.gifpray2.gifrapture.gifiagree.gifthumbup.gif

The End.

I like your post Tan_ya so well said

Tan_ya said it right. Also go to personal - nutrition - guide lots of good Protein Shakes .

Tan_ya,

THANK YOU~

You had some great words of wisdom, I am glad I am not really loosing my mind! The journal idea rocks! I am going to start that today, jot down the good, the bad and the ugly! I really appreciate the time you took to repond to my post! And it is sure nice to know others have had / are having similar issues! The best of luck to you on your journey, in the end it will ALL BE WORTH IT! Thanks again

@scmccarty I think we all go through the Post Op depression when we are wondering if we made a mistake and ruined our lives!

just realize that its part of the process (it was my mind trying to rationalize getting more calories)

Its kind of like a baby throwing a tantrum when they want some food.

concerning the shakes, I'm with you on that!

I started adding different flavors, blended with fruits, Decaf instant coffee, pumpkin puree (for fiber!), and strawberry flavoring (or syrups) to change it up!

I was also tired of the consistency and texture so i would heat it, cool it, blend it with ice, mix some in pudding, etc...

Just try and get creative.

I was Lucky in that I was only in discomfort for a 5 days Post Op, but i did take the medicine for three days then switched to Gas X and liquid tylenol for 3 days after that ( or now for headaches).

As far as the getting in and out of bed, I had to roll myself or try to lower myself with a handle i made for myself (attached to bed)

the pain when coughing or burping is due to the position of the band in relation to the nerves in your diaphragm.

It will go away eventually, but it might be part of the reason for such a long liquid period.

The first few months are for recovery and experimentation, so listen to your body.

To help with the pain/gas/motivation start moving and start drinking!

At least 1/2 hour a day of walking and 64 oz of liquids. (32 of Water 32 of protein) or about 6oz every hour you're awake.

If you hydrated you will feel soooo much better during this period.

I had to keep glasses full of different liquids (water, Soups, Protein shakes, juices, fresh juices, Fresh veggie juice, etc...)

Well, little kid glasses 6 oz full, so i could grab and drink every hour OR when i was hungry.

Just Hang in There!

Make lists of everything you're not going to miss about being over weight

And everything your going to love about being healthy!

BLOG! in a journal, online, in crayon.

Just get out all the bad/frustrated or even silly/happy feelings onto paper so that you can look back and see every part of your journey.

Sorry this was long, I just remember having all of those feelings and all of the great and wonderful advice i got from research, friends (new and old), Dr's, strangers, and a whole host of other people.

In case this helps:

YOU MADE THE CORRECT DECISION!

HOORAY FOR YOU! welldoneclap.gifwaytogo.gifhurray.gifparty.gifsuccess1.gifpray2.gifrapture.gifiagree.gifthumbup.gif

The End.

Just remember this is small portion of your journey and it will get better. I know right now it may not seems like it will ever get better. I am 28 days post-op and thought I would never make it to this point. I was very depressed, hated (and still do) the Protein Shakes. I promise it will get better. Keep telling yourself this too shall pass! Good luck with your journey!