Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight after 7 weeks!

Hello all! I am just posting because I need support. If you are going to put me down or lecture me, please don't respond!

I got banded August 17th, 2011. I had my first fill a week and a half ago. I have noticed that I am eating FAR less. I had a full appetite prior to being filled. I am tracking my calories, doing my best to keep it right at 1200. I am walking (not as much as I should be, but my home had a black mold infestation and my husband and I have been VERY ill!!, we are moving this week, so walking will pick up).

I have lost 5 inches off of my hips and 6 off of my bust. But, NO WEIGHT! I had plans of going to Mexico in late April, and my husband and I want to renew our vows. I dreamed I'd be 80 pounds lighter and I could finally get some pictures of me in a white dress that I can actually stand to look at (we got married in January of 2010, and I was at my largest). That doesn't seem like an achievable dream anymore!

I lost 60 pounds preop. So, I know I can lose weight. I know I have the motivation. They keep telling me that sometimes it takes 2-3 fills before weight starts coming off. I just don't get why one person can lose 30 pounds without any fills, and then there are those like me who have lost nothing after one fill.

I was 409 in November of 2010. Today I sit at 347, STEADY.

Please send me your stories, and encouraging words!! Negativity is not appreciated!

Just think- losing inches makes you look a lot better in a white dress ;) I'd take visible, lost inches over pounds that showed on my scale but not on my body any day!

I want to start by saying I am not banded. OK....now I want to say... Sounds like you hit a plateau that you didn't expect now that you have the lapband BUT CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Your weight loss has been incredible! You are doing all the right things and you are losing inches. You are too focused on the numbers on your scale (I know its hard to not get upset about the numbers). My advice is keep going to the doctor. When you go to the doctor maybe ask if you need to change up your diet, calorie or Protein intake. Good Luck and enjoy your weight loss..200's is just around the corner!

I'm in the same boat as you. It sounds like you have gained muscle and thats why you haven't lost. Just keep trying to work through it. I have read from others that this happens and then it comes off. Stay positive and keep working as hard as you have been.

Carisa welcome to the wonderful world of disgruntled bandster land! I'm with you! I was banded 09/02 and the only time I've dropped pounds was after my fill 2 weeks ago. I dropped 4lbs and no one knows y. I didn't eat much after my fill so maybe that's it but I can't continue on liquids forever. It's driving me mad. Before I had my baby I lost 60 lbs in about 8 months just by low carb and working out. Now nothing. So I dunno what to tell us.

make sure you are drinking lots of Water, eating lots of Protein and moving as much as you can. It will happen

I've been losing inches waaaay faster than pounds. It's strange! I'm down 3 pants sizes but only 20-22 lbs since surgery. Yes, it's frustrating to not see the numbers on the scale move... But at least the numbers on your tags are going down! Here's my logic- I don't walk around with a big 263 on my forehead telling the world how much I weigh. But they do see my ass in my jeans and they can tell that it's 3 sizes smaller! I'll take what I can get.

Just stick to what you're doing. It will show :-)

I havent really even dropped that many sizes. I'm still a 18, just a little looser thats all. No one has noticed or said anything except my husband so yeah I'm discouraged.

I was banded 8/31, and have no fills yet. I am due for one in the next 2 weeks. I am down almost 30 pounds, but only one size in clothing(and still same bra size). So i guess it depends on the physical makeup of your body. Your weight is just a number.. when you can wear 2 to 3 sizes smaller, thats awesome! I cant wait to be able to donate my fat clothes, and go shopping! And i agree, get plenty of Water and Protein. Good luck!

I do need to up my Protein and Water. Just not clear on how that will make that big of a difference??

I haven't dropped shirt sizes, but down one pant size and down two lounge pant sizes. I know I focus too hard on the numbers. I guess reason being that I took off so much preop and now I have this tool that should be making it easier.....and nothing!

Thank you for the responses and encouragement!! Keep it coming. Each response helps that much more!

The reason you have to increase your Water is because it helps to burn fat, maintain your feeling of fullness, and it actually increases your metabolism. Lean Protein helps with feeling full and it gives your body the fuel it needs to keep going.

you can do this! Talk to your doctor and your nutritionist. My mindset during the early weeks (between my first two fills and prior to my first fill was to maintain. If I could maintain, and not gain, I was happy. don't give up! keep going, you're body has lost a lot of weight, so maybe this is it readjusting itself.

or

Maybe you're not eating enough calories and your body is going into starvation mode?

You could try upping your calories a bit, continue to exercise, increase your Water and Protein and see what happens.

Sorry this is so disjointed, I'm just thinking andi its coming out of my fingers! :unsure:

I am in the same boat as you. I have actually had two fills and it seems the my hunger is actually increasing. I have lost and gained the same 4 pounds over and over. I know that it takes a while for the band to get to the "sweet spot" but I would love to see some weight come off. It is all just so frustrating. I think it feels better just to say this SUCKS! I know noone can fix it for me and I really know all of the advice I would give someone in my position. Sometimes we don't need someone to fix it but really just to understand or let us vent. So I am venting. THIS REALLY FREAKING SUCKS!!!!!!! I JUST WANNA LOSE WEIGHT AND FEEL AMAZING IN MY OWN SKIN BUT INSTEAD THIS PROCESS IS KILLING ME ! LOL try it maybe it will help. It is even more effective if you scream it!

I'm one of those people that have lost 30 pounds without a fill. I'm 6 weeks post op. I'm not sure why some people lose without a fill than people who have a fill. I'm only down 1 pant size. I know that everyone loses weight differently and I can only tell you what I do. I drink 8-10 glasses of Water a day. The majority of my diet consists of rotisserie chx, tuna and vegetables. I eat between 800-1200 calories a day mon-sat. On Sunday I up my calories to 1500 calories. I'm not sure why increasing calories on that day works but when I wake up on Monday, I'm usually down about 3 pounds from the previous day. I've maintained about a 5 pound weight loss per week. I walk about 4 times a week for 30 min. I think increasing water and Protein is good advice. And maybe increasing some calories but don't quote me on that one. Good luck to you and congrats on your weight loss thus far!

Indeed stroganoff this sucks hard!!! I've been an angry b**** since being banded. I don't know why my mood is swinging? Perhaps its the lack of calories or what. I don't have a clue but something has to give. I'm even evil at work which is shocking.

My insurance allows for me to visit the nutriionist 5 times a year. I think its very helpful. When I go, she looks at my eating over the past 3 or 4 days and gives me suggestions on how to change things in order to get the scale moving again. She also gives great suggestions on foods/combinations that would help me achieve it. I'm currently in the same boat with the scale not moving. I have started doing races and working out more so I think I need to adjust my nutritional needs. I have made an appointment and I'm looking forward to it. Don't get discouraged, it happens and it will pass. Good luck!