Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My date!

I didn't have Dr. Joffe, but I've heard nothing but good things about him. You'll like him, I'm sure.

Argon;

How are you finding things now that you are almost 4 weeks post op? Did you stay at a hotel overnight by the clinic? I take it the first 24 hours you do nothing but after that, you can go for walks, etc.

Can you tell me what it was like to sit up. I have to fly back to Calgary 3 days later ... should I have anything special with me on the plane to make the journey more comfortable.

How bout I email you with my exciting story!? lol I have it all typed up that I can just copy from an other email I sent, since so many people have asked me about my experience with Cobourn, I've got it handy!

Mandi

Oh... nevermind, I guess I can't email you through here. I'll make a new post with my answers.

Ok... so now that I'm at 4 weeks:

I can eat toooo much, or at least I think so. I can eat damn near anything I want, nothings a problem, I just make sure I chew it really well. I'm sure that will change once I get my fill.

I haven't had any vomitting or anything that I was expecting. I've had stuff get 'stuck' a couple times, but it passed pretty quickly. It's a weird thing to go from super uncomfortable 'somethings wrong' feeling, to instant relief, as I feel it pass..

Yes, I stayed at a hotel overnight after surgery. Surgery was on a Wed, and I left on Friday, so really 2 nights. I went to the clinic before we left to the airport and Marie quickly checked me out, put on a couple extra steri-strips, some were coming off from my shower, I guess.

I flew from Toronto to Vancouver. It was a 4.5 hour flight, and it was hellish. I was going to recommend bringing your pillow with you (to hold your stomach), but I don't think that's necessary. If you feel you need it, you could probably just ask the flight attendant for one. Make sure you have your chewable Gas-X and gravol with you, just in case.

Yours is probably about a 3 hour flight? If you're on Optifast, you might want to take an empty pop bottle or something with you, filled with Optifast, so you can just add Water to it on the plane in case you get hungry. I didn't have anything, and didn't think I'd be hungry, but once they started serving food, I got hungry, and the only thing they had on the 'menu' that I could do, was instant noodles (i was gonna just drink the liquid). It was waaay too gross and I couldn't have more than a few sips. Maybe buy a big 1 litre bottle of Water and bring that with you (maybe even come crystal light to 'spice' it up.) You're going to want to sit along the aisle, so you can get up and do laps around the plane as much as possible (to avoid blood clots). Marie recommended every 15-20 minutes, but the plane was so crowded, and I was kind of embarassed to do that. Do it as much as you can though.

Sitting up for me was not hard. A couple times I had to have my aunt (who came with me), kinda pull me up. I really just felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach. I didn't need my liquid codiene that they prescribed, but if I had been smart, I would have taken some before I got on the plane, to 'take the edge off'. I think I had the worst seat on the plane, it was soooo uncomfortable.

Yeah, the day of surgery, I just went back to the hotel, lied down, watched some tv.... slept off and on, and the next day walked some (to Subway to get Soup minus the vegetables and noodles!).

Getting my fill in about 2 weeks, and I can't wait. I hope I feel it! (not the needle, the restriction!)

Oh... by the way. Dr. Cobourn's going to be in Calgary on May 10-11... I don't suppose you're gonna meet with him then? (that's when I'm getting my fill, from him in Calg.)

Good luck!

Argon;

Your information is very helpful. I have put a call into Marie to see if I can also see Dr. Cobourn on May 10th...she did mention to me that he was coming but at that time she wasn't too sure of the dates. I'm on course in the afternoon so hopefully he has time in the morning. Are you flying in from Vancouver? Do you know if he comes often out West?

Was it Dr. Cobourn who gave you the prescription of codiene?

Thanks again. Any info is appreciated.

Actually, I'm from Saskatchewan... I only went to Vancouver after surgery for a couple weeks, for a visit. I don't know that he does this type of thing often, but he mentioned that since he's getting patients from all over the place now, that he might have to do something like a 'cross canada tour'. That would be nice... even if it weren't all that often.

Yes, he prescribed the codiene, and my aunt (who came with me) went and got the prescription filled for me while I was in surgery, so I didn't have to worry about having to go to a pharmacy afterwards. There's a pharmacy in the same building as the clinic, so that's good.

You are very welcome, ask me anything you need/want to know :P

Mandi

Hi argon! I was just wondering how you were just a few minutes prior to surgery. I mean, from changing and walking to the OR, lying down, that stuff. Now that I'm counting the days, I find my head racing with fears and anticipation. Dont get me wrong I can hardly wait to get banded, I just wish that it was over. I've never had surgery, and I just can't imagine how I'll react just before. I'm sure I wont believe that I'm really doing it. I'm not even afraid of pain (I've given birth 3 times, no drugs) it's just how I'm going to be before I'm put to sleep, I'm really afraid I'll freak out. I even was shaking a bit before my consultation. Any advice you can give I'd appreciate. I cant believe I'm being such a wuss:nervous

Hey Cloe,

I was pretty cool the whole time. When I first got there, I went into the office... there was a bunch of skinny pretty girls there, and I remembered it was also 'The Plastic Surgery Clinic', so figured they were there for boob jobs or Lipo ! lol

I sat there for a little bit... then Rose gave me a key and told me to go use the washroom down the hall. Did that, and when I got back, Rose took me and my aunt to the next room down the hall, which was the "surgical weight loss center"'s office. I sat there for not very long, and then Marie came and introduced herself to me... and brought me to a little exam. room.... where she left me to get changed and then weighed me, took my temp, and blood pressure. She talked to me for a while, and showed me what the band looked like. Then it was time to go in.

I walked to the operating room, saw a couple people lying in recovery on my way in. As I was getting on the operating table, a nurse came in and said "Hey Mandi, Joe says hi!" I laughed and said to tell him hi too. The nurses in the operating room said "Oh, you know him!?" and I laughed and said yeah, that I had met him in an online support group (here!). That was pretty cool. Everything went really quickly. They put something on my chest, compression socks on my legs, some sticky thing on my thigh, and stuck the IV in my forearm. They asked how I was feeling, and all I could think of was "Thirsty"! I don't even remember if I was told to count down or anything... I just went googly eyed and then woke up in recovery an hour or so later!

I haven't ever had surgery before either. But I wasn't worried. I was excited, and like you, just wanted it over with! Everyone there is so nice, I'm sure they'll set you at ease. You could also ask if there's anything you could take a while beforehand to calm you down.... they might do that.

Like I said... once it was time to go into the operating room, everything went super fast. Like... I think I was out within a matter of a few minutes. That's probably good, cause I don't think I'd like lying on my back in the middle of a bright room with strange people all around me for too long.

I hope that helps a little. Ask me whatever else you want to know. I think I was so cool going in, because I knew the answers to every concern I had. (like, asking Dr. Cobourn the day before surgery about whether he's had any erosions or slippages so far... he hasn't!) That made me feel more at ease.

Mandi

Mandi;

I will be meeting with Dr. Cobourn on May 10th at 9:30am at the Foothills Hospital. When do you meet with him for your first fill?

Hi! Did you talk to Marie very recently? Cause I was originally meeting Dr. C for my fill on the 10th, at 2:30pm, at Foothills, but that got changed to Peter Lougheed Center (got an email on Tues.) Maybe he's going to be at Foothills in the morning, then PLC in the afternoon. ?

p.s. Less than 2 weeks for you now! You must be getting excited! Where are you staying in Mississauga?

I spoke to Dr Coburn yesterday and he mentioned his upcoming trip to Calgary and Winnipeg ect.

He said he is training other surgeons to do lap band, and that these physicians will become available to us "westerners" for fill and other post-op follow up as well. He mentioned how rediculous it is for a patient like me (who's from Alberta) to be expected to return to Ontario for adjustments.

I especially love the way Dr. Cobourn talks to you like you have known each other for years and he's "just catching up" with you. He truly puts me at ease.

I had one question for other Cobourn patients...

I had my consultation done over the phone just recently, and I have a date reserved... but as of yet have not been billed or anything for it. Should I be expecting a bill for the consult? It wasn't until I read it on this board that there was a fee for the initial consult...so now I'm wondering.

Any experiences you can share in this regard?

Thanks guys,

Sunshine

Hey Sunshine!

As far as I know, everyone has to send them $200 (usually by credit card auth.) before a consult, but I guess you just got lucky! The consult fee comes out of the $15000 anyways, so if they don't contact for for the $200, they'll get ya when you have to pay for the surgery anyways. There's a $500 deposit that you have to make before they send you your Optifast (along with paying for the Optifast), so maybe they'll just tack it on there?

And yeah, he is very nice to talk to on the phone, I know what you mean :)

Hope that helps,

Mandi

Hi Everyone,

I too am getting excited - my date is June 2 at 12:00 with Dr. cobourn. Is there anyone else here who is going on the same day????

I am travelling home - to Trenton area (about 2 hrs) later that afternoon and am not looking forward to that journey but I am sure they will give me something to ease the pain and perhaps let me sleep most of the way. I am allergic to codeine so I can't take what they usually give.

I start my pre-op diet on Friday and I am having all of my blood work and ECG done on Thursday this week. I also have to send my funds this week.

I bought my opti-fast while I was there for consult and Marie said that I could have 225 cals in veggies - either steamed or raw each day.

I think that I am prepared both physically and mentally for this - I have done all of my shopping - both meds (Oval, tylenol, Calcium, gravol) and food (juice, broth, baby foods etc), made arrangements for someone to "nana sit" my mother for two days and I even bought myself a used treadmill (sitting in my bedroom right now).

I watched the video of the live surgery the other night from Hartford and was impressed with the simplicity of the technique. It is truly amazing! This board has been such a help - I have no fears - just excitement.

thanks to all for the encouragement and for sharing your journeys with us!

jude048

Dr. Cobourn

June2/06

Hi Jude! Think I know you from the other group(s).

It sounds like you're all ready! Is Oval the same as Gravol? I'm sure they'll give you something different since you can't have codeine... maybe Demerol? Woo!

Don't forget your pillow! I forgot mine at the hotel, but it wasn't a problem... it was pretty close by. Would be nice to have for a couple hour drive though.

Congrats and good luck with the Optifast! Let us know how everything goes!

Mandi

hi mandi,

Oval is supposed to be the equivalent of GasX - it is made for infants - so you have to take a fairly large dose - but I couldn't find anything else in liquid form in several drug stores I checked.

I won't forget my pillow - thanks! lol

jude048

june 2/06