Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Trouble Breathing - 2 days Post OP

So I was doing really well that the hospital released me fairly quickly. I checked in at 6 AM, surgery at 8 AM and officially released at 6 PM that same day. I thought all was fine. I had some pain while laying down (besides of course the incision wounds), but it started getting better as I passed gas late that night. I didn't have the best night, I kept waking up every 2-3 hours from pain (which I took meds for) or because of some necessity (toilet, walk, etc). I thought tonight would be much better...and I am so wrong. Here I am again, up at 4:30 in the morning. This night my problem was with breathing. I've been trying to use this plastic breathing machine the hospital gave me, and just practice breathing in deeply when it's not around. Up until this point I've been more or less OK. A few hours before I started going to bed, I don't know if it was because I did a little bit too much walking today, but I started coughing as if I had some 'congestion'. I could feel/taste a little mucous in my throat as the night progressed, but since then it's stopped. Now trying to fall asleep was hard. I keep getting this pain on my right side where my incisions are, but not on them. It's almost like it on the upper part of my rib cage. It really makes it hard to get comfortable, so I've already taken a few naps on the couch where I can sometimes find that comfort. Wherever I chose to sleep though, I would always wake up from not breathing. I've never had sleep apnea in the past and I don't know what to do. Maybe a position I can try or adding more pillows to one area? I'll try calling the hospital in the morning but I'd like to avoid going if I have to, if anyone has some decent advice. See, my hospital is in Manhattan, and the usual 15-20 minute commute home Friday night to my Queens apartment was over an hour due to traffic being held up by police men checking cars. That ride was hell...Anywho, if it was bad on 9/9, I'm sure going into Manhattan on 9/11 would probably be the craziest day ever and one I'd very much like to avoid.

I had the same symptoms you are experiencing. I had surgery Thursday and I'm just starting to feel like I can breathe normally. I had a lot of pressure in my chest and had to cough up some phlem. I wonder if its the gases from anesthesia working its way through our system? My hospital didn't give me a spirometer so I've been huffing and puffing on my own to make.sure my lungs are.clear.

I used maalox plus with simethicone for gas and had my Dr give me different pain meds and it made a.world of.difference. I also slept in our recliner off and on since laying flat caused a lot.of pressue in my shoulders.

I used maalox plus with simethicone for gas and had my Dr give me different pain meds and it made a.world of.difference. I also slept in our recliner off and on since laying flat caused a lot.of pressue in my shoulders.

Oh! I'll have to call my doc and ask about that! Seems like I've been feeling the same way. I've also been having a lot of pain and stiffness in my shoulders as well as my neck. I'm so tired but I just can't sleep! It's torture! I wish I had a recliner, it might make this a lot easier D:

Prop yourself up with a few pillows. I did that on my couch and bed and it seemed to help. I also had to lay for a few minutes and just take some deep breaths and it seemed to allow me to get comfortable. As soon I was able to start taking the liquid hydrocodone and got some good sleep it was like night and day! Sorry you had to go through the weekend like this!

Call your doctor or go to the ER you could have a pulmonary embolism do it now.

Hey guys thanks for the quick response. I was able to talk with one of the nurses and she told me that it sounded like I had swelling which was constraining my air when I laid down. She prescribed some children's liquid advil for me and to prop myself up with some pillows in bed (like you said Jackie). Seems to have done the job, because I feel 100% better and was able to sleep 5 1/2 hours straight with no issues (longest amount of sleep so far)! I also feel a lot better from last night/early this morning as far as pain goes. I don't know if it's because I'm drugged up on pain meds and anti inflammatory meds or if I'm finally healing faster, but I feel great!! Thanks for all the support...I was kinda freaking out this morning lol.

But I called the nurse, did what she said and I'm not having those symptoms anymore. Do you think it's that serious? I feel 100 times better, no more breathing problems. I honestly think it was just the position I was laying in plus the swelling. I don't have any more coughing or phlegm in my throat and I can breathe pretty deeply on my spirometer, and it's been like that 8-9 hours already that I'm feeling great.

I had the same thing and I'm still alive.....I think expelling the gas from anesthesia, gas and swelling has a lot to do with it. I'm feeling a lot better myself and the only time it hurts to take a deep breath is when I have a spot of trapped gas.

I also want to say again that I DID call my dr on Friday and he had me come to his office. He said he wanted to check my heart rate to make sure it wasn't elevated bc that would be the sign of a problem.

HI Veronica,

You did the right thing, called the nurse. Sounds like you are doing much better. You also got great advice from this forum! I can recommend a heating pad if you have one. It has helped me for shoulder pain and also when my stomach felt kinda achey. Walk, walk, walk, it will get the intestinal gas going as well as the CO2 they used to inflate your abdomen during surgery. THAT is what is causing your shoulder pain, the CO2 just tends to settle in the shoulders for some reason.

Glad you are doing better!

Thanks guys! Great advice! Yeah...I didn't believe doctors when they told me every ache and pain was gas, gas, gas! Seems to be the culprit though! It's probably the only thing that's been bothering me lately. Even the pain from my stitches (getting up, sitting down, moving around) has become nothing more than a quick pinching feeling. I'll have to try a heating pad!

You did the right thing if you call your doctor he will just tell you to go to the ER (trust me my husband works for a bariatric surgeon and these types of calls happen all the time he won't risk telling you it's nothing with out seeing you, nurses can do that surgeons no) anyway I slept on the couch for almost a week it helped a lot laying down was simply unbearable I'm surprised you were able to. Also the pain on the right side is totally normal the pre op nurse told us it's very common and it's one of the medical mysteries haha

Good luck you're doing fine and you will get thru this and forget about all of it a few months... I totally forgot about the breathing thing which my husband thought was the funniest thing in the world to watch me do