Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand recovery with a toddler

I'm currently waiting on approval from insurance for my surgery. I'm hoping for a September date. My doc requires a 2 week pre-op diet, so I'm sure it won't be August.

My question is to anyone who went throught with the surgery and had a toddler to care for. My son is 20 months old and I still pick him up for most things. My husband works nights so it's just me at home getting him in the tub and in the crib. How long did it take you to recover enough that you could lift your toddler and do normal things. I have an office job, so my plan is to have the surgery on Thursday and go back to work Monday.

I do have parents who can watch him for me, but I just don't want to be away from him for that long.

Any advice or experience with this is appreciated. That is one of my biggest fears about getting the band. I'm the main caregiver for my son and he depends on me everyday.

He weighs about 23 pounds.

I'm currently waiting on approval from insurance for my surgery. I'm hoping for a September date. My doc requires a 2 week pre-op diet, so I'm sure it won't be August.

My question is to anyone who went throught with the surgery and had a toddler to care for. My son is 20 months old and I still pick him up for most things. My husband works nights so it's just me at home getting him in the tub and in the crib. How long did it take you to recover enough that you could lift your toddler and do normal things. I have an office job, so my plan is to have the surgery on Thursday and go back to work Monday.

I do have parents who can watch him for me, but I just don't want to be away from him for that long.

Any advice or experience with this is appreciated. That is one of my biggest fears about getting the band. I'm the main caregiver for my son and he depends on me everyday.

He weighs about 23 pounds.

I'm having my surgery tomorrow and I'm a stay at home mom to two 2 year olds and an 8 month old so I will let you know my experience. My husbad is taking a week off, but after that I'm on my own!

I'm still pre-op, but I had my gallbladder removed when my daughter was about 20 months (I think she was around 20lbs then). The first two days were hard with lifting and bending over, but tolerable with some OTC pain meds.... I kept my daughter in bed with me so I wouldn't have to deal with the crib... lol

I'd say take advantage of any help that's offered the first few days. My parents came down to see me when I had that surgery and helped a great deal when I got home.

I think kids tend to understand when Mommy is hurting too... they might not know why, but at least my daughter tended to be a little more gentle and behaved during that time...

Good luck!

I had surgery on the 19th last Fri & today I have been able to pick up my 19 month old, he's 27lbs. I just have to be careful & try to remember to lift w/ everything other than my tummy muscles. My husband has to go back to work tomorrow so I am forced to do it as well. My Dr said I would be fine the day after surgery to lift him, but I beg to differ on that one. I still am not able to bend over the tub though. I'm just going to have to make sure my husband dies that before bedtime. Other than that I feel pretty good. Just be sure to listen to your body, not everyone recovers the same.

THIS IS A GREAT TOPIC TO READ, I HAVE 15 MONTH AND IM SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY AUG 31ST! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INPUT! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US MOMMYS GETTING BANDED!

This was a MAJOR concern for me before my sugery. My son is 20lbs and my daughter is 35lbs. Honestly, I didnt pick him up for a good week. I then was alone with the kids on 9 days post op, and took him out of crib, no pain. Put him in highchair no pain. I let him crawl up my leg onto my lap but didnt pick him up. I am now 12 days and feel great. I picked him up on and off the last 2 days with no pain. Even picked up my daughter and gave her a big hug with no pain or issues. Good luck! hope this helps

Thanks for everyone's stories. This makes me feel much better about the surgery. I'm currently waiting on insurance approval. I'm hoping to get my surgery in September.

I haven't been banded yet but I've thought about this also. I have a 3 year old and a 12 month old (boys) and both are very active and like to jump on mommy. I'm a stay at home mom and my husband will only be able to take the actual surgery date off. I keep imagining my kids jumping on me one day after the surgery and busting my stitches. The day I had my second son (c-section) the first thing my oldest son did was push on my stomach while getting up and it was the worst pain I have ever felt, I kept checking my stitches to make sure he didn't do any damage lol.

I had surgery when my son was about 20 months. He stayed with my parents the night of my surgery and the night after. After that I tried to let him climb into things himself - they're usually little climbers by then anyway. The hardest thing for me was getting him in and out of the crib. I got some help for the first week or so and then back to normal. Just take it slow and easy and you will figure out ways to handle it! Good Luck to you!

I am a stay at home mom. When I was banded, a year ago, I had a 6 month old, 3 year old and 9 year old. I had surgery on Friday and was back up taking care of them by Sunday. It wasn't a big deal at all.