Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been researching bariatric surgery for over a year & chose the lapband. I'm a 55 yr old nurse & took care of more than my share of gastric bypass patients & felt I just couldn't go that route. My surgery is scheduled for tuesday, the day after my birthday. So, needless to say there will be no cake for me this year. This is my present to myself. My Dr told me in January that I won't live 5 more years with the condition my kidneys are in if I don't lose the weight now.I had to do the 6 mos supervised weight loss which I balked at initially but am now happy I had to do it. I have lost #37 since february on a low carb diet & have really gotten into my new lifestyle. I'm not even sure I will need a fill since even now I never get hungry between meals.What I was wondering is if you never have a fill do you still have stuck episodes,pbing or still have to take the tiny bites & chew,chew,chew?

I am having my surgery on the 23rd of August as well...... I am very nervous. I have research for over a year as well and I have also been on this website for over a year. I pray this is the right road for me!!!

I have been researching bariatric surgery for over a year & chose the lapband. I'm a 55 yr old nurse & took care of more than my share of gastric bypass patients & felt I just couldn't go that route. My surgery is scheduled for tuesday, the day after my birthday. So, needless to say there will be no cake for me this year. This is my present to myself. My Dr told me in January that I won't live 5 more years with the condition my kidneys are in if I don't lose the weight now.I had to do the 6 mos supervised weight loss which I balked at initially but am now happy I had to do it. I have lost #37 since february on a low carb diet & have really gotten into my new lifestyle. I'm not even sure I will need a fill since even now I never get hungry between meals.What I was wondering is if you never have a fill do you still have stuck episodes,pbing or still have to take the tiny bites & chew,chew,chew?

First of all, congratulations on getting the band. This is a life saving and changing part of your life. I too, would have turned into my mother with heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and everything else that my mom had later in life. I chose the band to get the weight off safely and slowly. I am almost 3 years out at goal and never had one single fill. I do have days I can eat chicken and then again can't eat chicken, depending on my band. It is very fickle, I never know for sure what I can eat and not eat. I do get stuck but it is my fault from eating too big of a piece or not chewing enough and eating too fast. I still occasionally go back to my old ways of eating like the house is on fire, but I keep it in mind, especially when I get stuck and it is a constant reminder to me. You will do fine, I lost 90 pds and am in size 10 from my size 22's, I am on NO medication and feel like a youngster again, I am 58 years old. Good luck and keep in mind that slow is better, it is going to take time to train yourself for eating properly. I still battle head hunger every now and then but I do believe this is a lot like alcoholism, it never goes away, it is always there and you need to keep it in check one day at a time. You have to eat every day and that is what makes it so hard. Have a wonderful day of your new life with the band.

Happy Birthday!!! I am saying the same thing now - I will be 47 on November 11 - I am shooting to have surgery (pending insurance acceptance of 3 of my 6 month weightloss) around my birthday too and said the very same thing, if I can make this happen by then it will be my present to myself - a better healthier, pain free life. If those 3 months of weightloss requirement that I did earlier in the year are not accepted then I will do 3 more months pushing me into January so then I guess I will consider it a New Years Resolution only thing is like most of us I have been there and done that resolution so would rather not - I would rather enter the new year already on my way.....Good Luck and keep us informed as to how that Birthday Present is working for you.

Hello!!!! I am almost 10 months out no fills!!! I am down 52 pounds!!! I can eat whatever!!! I never been stuck but I dont push my band either!!! It a slower process I think when u dont get fills but it ok slow and steady win the race! Best of luck to you :)