Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on a Friday-- back to school on Tuesday?

Hey all- I'm a college student, and the only time I am able to fit my surgery in is the second weekend in September (unless I want to wait until Spring Break, which is not an option for me!).

I don't have classes on Fri or Mon-- so if I have my surgery on Friday early morning, is it possible to be back at school on Tuesday for classes? All my classes are in one big building with elevators, so the walking around is pretty minimal I would think.

Any special precautions I should take? Any recommendations?

Hey all- I'm a college student, and the only time I am able to fit my surgery in is the second weekend in September (unless I want to wait until Spring Break, which is not an option for me!).

I don't have classes on Fri or Mon-- so if I have my surgery on Friday early morning, is it possible to be back at school on Tuesday for classes? All my classes are in one big building with elevators, so the walking around is pretty minimal I would think.

Any special precautions I should take? Any recommendations?

You may want to discuss that with your doctor. I have read on here about people who have been banded just to return back after a few days or a week. I am one day post-op and I don't feel bad. I think If I had to return to work on Tuesday I could as long as I take my time, and dont have to lift. bend , push , or pull. You may be fine with it, but like I said before just talk it over with your doctor.

You should be fine as long as you aren't hauling around a heavy book bag.

Thanks for posting your question. I had a similar one. I plan on returning to work after one week...at least part-time. I don't have enough vacation leave to be off longer. I was back to work in less than a week after my hysterectomy which was done laproscopically. Good luck with your procedure!

I'm doing something similar, I am being banded Aug 17 and returning to school on August 22. Honestly, I think it should be ok. My only concern is my pants potentially rubbing at the incision site? I had my gabladder removed in April and that was a problem then. Best of luck to you!

As long as you wear pants that have a soft or stretchy waistband (I would definately opt out of jeans for now)- they shouldn't bother your incisions, your incisions should be above your belly button.

Also of course you are going to not want to take any of your prescribed pain meds before class- you might not be able to focus and pay attention! And of course if you are driving don't take it before driving, it impairs your ability to drive- and if you got pulled over you can get charge with driving under the influence.

Talk to your doctor about liquid motrin to get you through, that's what I had to do when I returned to work, but I only need to take it for a couple of days.

I was banded on a Monday morning and returned to classes the following Monday. It was Thanksgiving break for us so I only missed 1 day of classes. Everyone has a different experience and I was 33 at the time so I needed those extra couple of days. Be careful about how heavy your backpack is, leave your books in the car and make several trips, the walking actually feels pretty good about then. My only issue was sitting for more than an hour. I spoke with my instructors ahead of time that I may have needed to stand at the back of the room (I didn't need to) but it's good to be prepared. Good luck with your journey!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I guess I'll just make sure to take it easy and limit the weight of my backpack!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I guess I'll just make sure to take it easy and limit the weight of my backpack!

Not sure what your doc recommends but he told me no one should lift more than 5lbs for 6 weeks after surgery and one college book can weight that much. Maybe if you put them in a one of those suitcase like carrier and pull it on wheels that would help.

I am having the surgery on a Thurs morning and returning to work the following Monday on the condition I don't lift, exercise, or do anything remotely more strenuous than walking and sitting at my desk.

I think it might not be bad for you if you are careful. But I recommend you stay home at least for a week for better recovery. You may chill at home, use it for your homework and then go to the college in good health and readiness to learn. Take your time. Surgery is a serious thing, so there is no reason for risk.

15 hours ago, mechanicfamiliar said:

I think it might not be bad for you if you are careful. But I recommend you stay home at least for a week for better recovery. You may chill at home, use https://uk.edubirdie.com/research-papers-writing for your homework and then go to the college in good health and readiness to learn. Take your time. Surgery is a serious thing, so there is no reason for risk.

But first of all, ask you doctor about it