Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slipped to re-banded

good evening fellow bandsters. Soooo my band has slipped. It took a while to find the issue but now I am faced with what to do. Have it removed, repositioned or revise. I had success with my band. 70 lbs within a year and half. Yes the filling and unfilling and PBings were not fun, but 9 times out of 10 they were most likely my fault. My question that I am throwing out is if you have had a slip and decided to re-band how are things going? Better weight loss, slower, is it different? Whatever you are willing to share would help me. I do know that I will always need some help with my weight. So that is why I am leaning towards it being repositioned.

thanks

melissa

Hi Mimi,

I have read some of your post where you did mention you would go with the sleeve. If I may? Did you consider the sleeve before rebanding?

Hi Melissa, Im Melissa with a slip also.

mine was my first ever and i had to have emergancy repair surgery. My Dr does not do the sticking of the tummy over the band to keep it in place. my slip was my fault, i ate something with my hand, and it got stuck....extreme pain that i would not wish on my worst enemy =(

after 4 calls to mr dr office and being told i have to wait it out, also after dry heaving for hours and hours, i went in at 9pm to my dr office. my dr met me and did a unfill. not better so he did a xray and came back and said go to the hospital =(

a few hours later repair surgery, and i woke up and felt 100% and went home 30 mins later. Since then i am scared, i do chew my food so small its mush. and i take litte bites, which i didb4 my slip. but now i am very carefull.

i am back up 6cc in my band , i was7.5 or 7 when i slipped.

it was so painfull for thoose 8 hours, omg i never want that again. it was 3 months to the day that i had a slip.

when the dr told me i slipped , i was all ready crying from the pain, but i cried harder, i thought it would have to be removed. he did say that may be the case, he would not know till he got inside and saw.

but now im fine, one thing i notice now that i did not notice b4, is after 5 mins ore so of eating, i let out a hudge burp, then i eate more, its like that is the food moving or something, but it def happens every 5-10 mins, its weird,

feel free to aske me anything !!

hope all is well

Hi Melissa.

thanks for the reply. Yikes, so you just were banded this year? I was thinking that I would be more diligent the next time around. I had feelings during the last two years that if I could remove this I would. But now that I am faced with that, I am totally second guessing that. I have regained twenty pounds so that tells me that I need a "tool" to help me.

Is it always in the back of your mind about slipping again? Did you doctor think it would or did he/she think you would do just as great?

thanks

I was banded exactly a year ago yesterday 8/12/2010 in May 2011 I had to have a reposition of my port and also a fill while I was under which brought my band to 7cc's in a 10cc band....everything seemed to go just fine they discharged me that same day and I was on liquids for 3 days and puree' for 2 days.

I actually couldn't take in no more than a half cup of fluids if that so I was hardly getting in any Water or anything else for that matter. A few days later I couldn't eat or drink ANYTHING at all, I couldn't even tolerate a sip of Water and then I started vomiting things that I have consumed days prior to...which made me think that my food never went down past my band. Once that food came up I couldn't even tolerate my own saliva and every 5-10 mins i would vomit the saliva that had gathered above my band. To make a long story short it was after hours and my doc told me to come in the next morning so he could take some Fluid out my band because he thought I had too much in. Well after about 6 straight hours of vomiting my saliva every 5 mins I was sore, weak, dehydrated and in sooo much pain I ended up in emergency. They did a x-ray and sure enough my band had slipped and right away I started crying because I knew I would have to have emergency surgery and that was the last thing I wanted. Lol this is only half of my story and it hard to make it short but I think it might help u in the end so I'm going to finish it lol...It was late at night and the on-call nurses couldn't find my port to take all my Fluid out because its ALWAYS very difficult to find so I had to wait until 6am for my doctor to come in a un-fill me so it was a total of 12 hours of constant vomiting :( but it was instant relief when he removed the fluid...they did another x-ray and my band slightly went back in place so he said he would leave it like that with no surgery and just keep an eye on it and no fills for me anytime soon...

After that was said and done, my restriction was out the door and I started gaining a little weight after that which I knew I would, it was like starting all over again almost a year later. Well I wish that was the end of my story but it isn't lol The end of June 2011, I experienced a bad case of Heartburn, refulx, and indegestion which brought my restriction level from no restriction to max restriction (still no fluid in my band) I couldn't eat anything, no appeitie at all, barely could drink anything. I wasn't vomiting but I was scared that I had a slip again. I had a very weird but very disturbing pain in my upper right abdomen. I was about to go on a 7 day vacation within the next few days so I wanted to make sure everything was ok so I went to ER again and everything was ok with my band but they said I had gastritis so eat a very bland diet which was ok because I didnt have an appeitie and could only eat about 1/4 cup of food anyway. From June 28th-July 12th I had lost about 20lbs thats how bad it was. I was still concerned so I had a swallow test done and my doc said my band was still good I just have EXCELLENT restriction with NO fluid and I'm ok with that I honestly wish it would stay just like this forever. The pain I was having in my upper right abdomen was from my gallbladder and I've had a ultrasound and a hidascan so I'm just waiting on my results but I'm sure I have gallstones so I may have to have that removed eventually.

To sum it all up the last few months I've been trying to debate rather or not if I should get my band removed, EVERYONE wants me to get it removed and when I was in all that pain I wanted it removed but looking back throughout this last year my band has really helped me, not everyone has bad complications with their band like I did. I started off at 300.7lbs now I'm 245.6 and I still have 70lbs to lose before I reach my goal weight and I know despite all my misfortunes with the band its still gonna help me get to where I need to be. So I decided to keep it and just pray that the complications are long gone!!

I hope my long story kinda helped you out and sorry I couldn't make it shorter!! lol Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!!

A year & a day later...0cc's in my band and I'm at my Sweet Spot!!! :wub: :Banane40: