Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tips for shoulder pain???

It's been 13 days since I've been banded. The pain in my shoulder almost seems to be getting worse!! I haven't been able to sleep in 2 days and I've been feeling crappy. My doctor has prescribed me vicoden but I only took that for a few days because of the side effects. I don't have any liquid tylenol right now - does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this pain?? I'm at my wits end!! I woke myself up about 4:00 this morning with my whimpering in my sleep. HELP!!

Walk more. Use a heating pad.

I have been walking. I went back to work on Monday and after work, I walked the track for a mile. I've been moving more than I normally do.

It's been 13 days since I've been banded. The pain in my shoulder almost seems to be getting worse!! I haven't been able to sleep in 2 days and I've been feeling crappy. My doctor has prescribed me vicoden but I only took that for a few days because of the side effects. I don't have any liquid tylenol right now - does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this pain?? I'm at my wits end!! I woke myself up about 4:00 this morning with my whimpering in my sleep. HELP!!

Do you have a chiropractor? I found that mid back adjustments worked wonders.

I see you live in Keshena. My aunt and uncle live in Shawano. It's beautiful up there!

try the heating pad. it helped with mine alot.

My gas pain lasted 2.5 weeks after surgery. Gas-x will help! It was my shoulder/neck that hurt the most. Take some tylenol to help with the pain and hang in there. You should be on the downward slope of the pain!

Hate to tell you my shoulder pain lasted about 6 weeks and it was like a dagger with every breath. A heating pad was my best friend. I also used chewable or liquid ibuprofen washed down with alot of liquid. Moving around should help get the gas out. From time ot time, I still get a twitch a couple of times a month, but nothing like right after surgery. I think it's the phrenic nerve barking at me. Anyway, don't get too discouraged...it does eventually go away. At the time though it seemed unbearable. Good luck on your journey!

I had surgery 1 week ago tomorrow. My shoulder only hurts when I lay down. I have been up and trying to stay active durring the day. I have spring cleaned a few rooms and will finish up the rest of the house tomorrow. When I get tired I rest for 10 min or so then back at it. Since I have started this, the sholder pain has gotten a lot better. Good luck with your journey.

P.S. Heat does help.

My shoulder pain lasted about 5 weeks. I tried everything walking, heat, tylenol. The heat seemed to combat the pain the best (other than the vicodin which I didn't want to take too much of). The constant pain diminished after about 5 weeks. Now when my shoulder starts to hurt I know that I ate too much or drank to soon after eating. My doctor says its referred pain from the phrenic nerve that is near your diaphragm. So when I eat too much now my band hits the phrenic nerve! I hope it goes away quick for you!!! Good Luck!

Heating pad works the best for me. I'd suggest a massage or a trip to the chiropractor too. And ibuprofen works way better on my gas pains than the hard stuff... That just helps me sleep :-)

Heat! and Gas X

thanks so much for the tips! my dr. prescribed a medication for me. i used it for 2 nights and have been sleeping like a baby ever since. i'm sleeping better than what i did before the surgery!! the shoulder pain is completely gone. :)

today i did some extra cleaning and walking i am 6 days post opt and so far i have felt ok but my shoulder pain tonight has been off the hook. I havent had pain meds in 2 days and had to take some. i am sad to see this can last 6 weeks. Thanks for the tips heat is helping