Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you love yourself?

Something I've noticed over the years, when talking to people who've dealt with weight issues: We're caretakers, and we suck at taking care of ourselves.

After reading some of these threads today, I see LBT is no different.

So now that you've worked so hard to get where you are -- how are you treating yourself differently? Are you taking more care of everything in *your* life? Or are you still spending all your energy on everyone else?

I used to be that way..I was always shopping for things for everyone but me...but not anymore..I love myself and the new me..I now get my nails and toes done every 2 weeks like clockwork as well as my hair done every 4 weeks like clockwork..when I shop I now only buy for me well sometime my kids and hubby too :)..I spoil myself now..and I love it!

I think I have to be realistic, I'm the mother of 3 children, so they are going to have to come first at various times. I cant go to the gym if one of them is sick, I cant ignore them to meet my own desires. I'm just at that time of my life when I come last in a lot of respects and I'm OK with that. Having the band was the biggest thing I've done for myself in a long time and I did think long and hard about using that money for myself. But I cant continue to be a good mother if I fall down dead in a heap now can I?

My life was and is incredibly busy but I knew one or two behaviours and coping mechanisms were going to have to change and I've worked hard on those.

As for loving myself - well I always have. I loved myself fat and I will love myself thin - not in an over the top way but I've always been self confident and comfortable with my choices. I've never judged myself morally for becoming overweight.

This is a good thread.

I take better care of my hair now, and my nails are painted more often than not. I've been doing my makeup alot lately too, and buying cute shirts just because I want them. I'm also spending a buttload of money to get my teeth all fixed up and pretty.

I take care of myself more now too, but I feel highly uncomfortable with the words "I love myself". I always have and probably always will. I pick at every bad thing about myself and I struggle with those quizes that sk you to write 5 things you like about yourself, I end up making them up. I am working on it though.

Oh - if you're talking hair, nails etc I do less of that now than i did before, I no longer need that as a prop. I spend loads and loads on my hair though, colouring and products. Loving myself really means to me though saving my money for what really matters to me and my family - a new house in a suburb we want to live in. French nails are nice, a renovated Edwardian in a leafy street is much nicer.

But I am thinking of the new bio-ionic permanent hair straightening, going for a preliminary consultation on Friday.

I have been shopping, shopping, shopping! It is such fun to be able to buy clothes in regular sizes. My sister (who is a bandster) and I are taking a cruise next week. We are anxious to wear our new, small, cute outfits. We have always said that we are 2 tons of fun. Since she has lost 70 and I have lost 60 pounds, we will have to figure out a new name.

Like Michelle, I get my nails (acrylic) and pedicure done every two weeks. I get my hair done when it the roots start to show and the grey pops out. I take ONE day a week where I do NOTHING at all. I go shopping when I can and I indulge in some nice quality "ME" time when I can work it in.

My kids are all grown and it is just me and John in the house with my 18 year old son now.

The one thing I wish is I want to get back to Jamaica for a week long vacation. I have been on many trips this year already but not to Jamaica and certainly not on any vacations. I am LONG overdue for a ME time vacation.

I have been doing things more for myself also. & I have to tell you, it is really pissing some folks off! It seems like I was really a doormat for everyone. I am just now getting to where I don't care if they are miffed. They'll just have to deal with it! I have a life too! A new & better life that I am just discovering, or should I say " That I am letting happen". Oh! & I buy lots of clothes now!!

...and here I thought overeating was taking care of myself! :confused: It seems, rather, that some self-denial would have actually served me well. :)

Kelli