Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Lap Band patients? Timeline?

I've been in contact with my primary care doctor, inquiring about WLS and how to get the process started. She said based on my weight/height from my last visit (2008), I qualify, she just needs to get current information of height/weight to give a referral. So, great!

Basic overview-- I'm currently living in Texas, and would need to go out to California for the process/surgery. I'm trying to get everything done in one lump of time (months long is okay, prepared for a few months at least), because I will be living with my parents during this time. I've asked my doctor if I could have a doctor here to send her my height/weight information, so she can send off the referral and get into the class ASAP. She did say I could have an evaluation done here, and she will send the referral based on that information. I asked this because, if possible, I can get her to refer me while I'm still out here, and not have to go out to California until the classes start.

I've sent her another message asking for a little more detail about the process because she said she "can't tell [me] how long it is between a referral being sent and the appointment being made. I hear it can take some time. It is depended on how many referrals they receive."

She's going to be out of the office until Tuesday, and I'm anxious and want to know more from those who have gone through this process! (Yes, I'm being impatient, because I'm excited to start this process! Ha)

Questions:

-How many referrals I receive? Can I get more referrals? How? From who?

-How long did it take for your first appointment/classes to begin after your referral?

-I know the classes are 12 weeks long, what can I expect?

-How long did it take to get a surgery date after the class?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for any information you can give me!! biggrin.png

The first thing u need to do is call your insurance company and ask if the procedure is covered. Then u will need a physical and. Complete blood work makeup from your PCP. Have you gone to any infoational meeting, that is where u get the application to meet with a surgeon, b prepared thatcan take up to 2 weeks to get an appointment and the surgeon will tell you to bring the referral letter with you to meet him. You have to go through steps, lots of steps that could take up 6 months, meeting w/ a dietitian, getting a psych evaluation etc. An X-ray, some other issues ruled out like sleep apnea and such. I'm finding out that it is a long process, the least time is averaging 3 mos but most of the time it is nearly 6 mos.

The first thing u need to do is call your insurance company and ask if the procedure is covered. Then u will need a physical and. Complete blood work makeup from your PCP. Have you gone to any infoational meeting, that is where u get the application to meet with a surgeon, b prepared thatcan take up to 2 weeks to get an appointment and the surgeon will tell you to bring the referral letter with you to meet him. You have to go through steps, lots of steps that could take up 6 months, meeting w/ a dietitian, getting a psych evaluation etc. An X-ray, some other issues ruled out like sleep apnea and such. I'm finding out that it is a long process, the least time is averaging 3 mos but most of the time it is nearly 6 mos.

Thanks for your response! I have already called my insurance, and know the procedure is covered. I'm in contact with my doctor who is willing to give me a referral when she gets my updated height/weight eval (like I said in my original post). The classes alone are 3 months long... so there's no way it's only going to last 3 months. I'm looking for people's input/experience about Kaiser specifically.. :]

I was like u, wanting it bad, like NOW! The reason why u need to call your insurance companyis because there is s form of questions u have to asjk them if this and thatis covered and then u send that form w/ your appl to the Bariatric center where u will have it done. It's a pain in the rear but all worth it in the end!!!!

I was like u, wanting it bad, like NOW! The reason why u need to call your insurance companyis because there is s form of questions u have to asjk them if this and thatis covered and then u send that form w/ your appl to the Bariatric center where u will have it done. It's a pain in the rear but all worth it in the end!!!!

A form? When I called and spoke with them, they let me know it's covered and I need to get a referral from my primary doctor to start a 12 week class. I asked if there was anything else I needed to do, and they just said I had to speak with my doctor to get the process started...which I'm doing now. Did you go through Kaiser insurance? Just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases!! They just didn't say anything about a form! lol.

And yes... I'm ready now! I wish I would have made the decision awhile ago!

Hi there! I too am going through Kaiser. I got the referral from my PCP on Sept. 9th about a week later I got a call to schedule a one on one appointment with the Health Education department. I had that today (Oct 6th). Now I am waiting for them to call me and schedule the mandatory informational meeting (about an hour long) regarding all weight loss options and weight loss surgery. After that meeting I can then sign up for the 12 week class for the surgery.

So far it has been much easier than I anticipated. I had heard Kaiser was almost impossible to get to cover the surgery and I am not finding that to be true. The only thing that is a bummer is even after the 12 week class, then you have to meet with the surgeon and he has the final say if you get the surgery or not. So basically you can go through the 12 weeks for nothing. The NP that I met with today said there isn't any diet and you don't have to lose any weight before the surgery. They do like to see a small loss, but she said to make sure not to gain. She also ordered a sleep study for me to check for sleep apnea.

I hope this helps you. The timeline is kinda hard to predict. My PCP said that there was a long waiting list for the 12 week program, but the NP today didn't say anything about it. So I am hoping that I can start the classes next month :)

I haven't updated this in awhile, but I figured I would after reading your post. Are you going through Kaiser Fontana?

I got my referral August 5th, and was scheduled for orientation September 16th (I did not have to meet with the NP, I guess because my BMI was high enough). They said from the orientation that it's usually 1-2 months to get into the classes (used to be 6 months), sooner depending on your availability (the more open you are, the easier it is to get in earlier). Thanks to a cancellation, I was put into the classes that started October 4th. I get the impression they're trying to move things along quicker and make the process easier.

The big thing I noticed at the orientation though, is that Kaiser is not big on the lap band. They do the bypass and the sleeve in house, but if you're getting the lap band (or are over 65 for any surgery) they send you somewhere else (San Diego). The reason is because they're doing a lot of revisions lately. I initially thought I would get the lap band, but after much research (and long before orientation), I decided the sleeve was a better fit for me.

As far as losing weight, they ask you to lose 10% of your weight by the end of the 12 week class. I didn't start dieting or doing anything really before because I didn't want to lose weight before the class started and not have that count! Ha, kind of stupid, I know, but I didn't want to hit a plateau later. Apparently you just want to do what the ask of you, get your labs done ASAP, and be a "good student" because they will put you ahead of those who don't.

Hi there! I too am going through Kaiser. I got the referral from my PCP on Sept. 9th about a week later I got a call to schedule a one on one appointment with the Health Education department. I had that today (Oct 6th). Now I am waiting for them to call me and schedule the mandatory informational meeting (about an hour long) regarding all weight loss options and weight loss surgery. After that meeting I can then sign up for the 12 week class for the surgery.

So far it has been much easier than I anticipated. I had heard Kaiser was almost impossible to get to cover the surgery and I am not finding that to be true. The only thing that is a bummer is even after the 12 week class, then you have to meet with the surgeon and he has the final say if you get the surgery or not. So basically you can go through the 12 weeks for nothing. The NP that I met with today said there isn't any diet and you don't have to lose any weight before the surgery. They do like to see a small loss, but she said to make sure not to gain. She also ordered a sleep study for me to check for sleep apnea.

I hope this helps you. The timeline is kinda hard to predict. My PCP said that there was a long waiting list for the 12 week program, but the NP today didn't say anything about it. So I am hoping that I can start the classes next month :)

I haven't updated this in awhile, but I figured I would after reading your post. Are you going through Kaiser Fontana?

I got my referral August 5th, and was scheduled for orientation September 16th (I did not have to meet with the NP, I guess because my BMI was high enough). They said from the orientation that it's usually 1-2 months to get into the classes (used to be 6 months), sooner depending on your availability (the more open you are, the easier it is to get in earlier). Thanks to a cancellation, I was put into the classes that started October 4th. I get the impression they're trying to move things along quicker and make the process easier.

The big thing I noticed at the orientation though, is that Kaiser is not big on the lap band. They do the bypass and the sleeve in house, but if you're getting the lap band (or are over 65 for any surgery) they send you somewhere else (San Diego). The reason is because they're doing a lot of revisions lately. I initially thought I would get the lap band, but after much research (and long before orientation), I decided the sleeve was a better fit for me.

As far as losing weight, they ask you to lose 10% of your weight by the end of the 12 week class. I didn't start dieting or doing anything really before because I didn't want to lose weight before the class started and not have that count! Ha, kind of stupid, I know, but I didn't want to hit a plateau later. Apparently you just want to do what the ask of you, get your labs done ASAP, and be a "good student" because they will put you ahead of those who don't.

Hi there! Thanks for updating! Yes I am going through Kaiser Fontana. I am glad to hear things are moving so quickly for you!

I am excited to get started, especially after meeting with the NP yesterday. I wonder if the 10% loss is a case by case basis. I am border line on my BMI, but I have two medical conditions, one which prevents me from losing weight since my hormones are so messed up and my metabolism is non existent. The NP yesterday said that I would not be required to lose any weight, just to try not to gain anymore. Hmmm. guess I will see at the informational meeting. It will take me a lot longer than 12 weeks to lose 10%. I have been almost the same weight for 13 years, even after Weight Watchers, personal trainers and several medically supervised diets. I can lost about 10 lbs then my body stops and gains it all back. They are not even sure that WLS will help me but at least it is a "tool" to help me out since all other avenues have failed.

Good luck! I bet you are so excited to be started on your 12 weeks!!! I hope a get a call to schedule my orientation meeting soon!!!smile.gif