Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Regrets after Lap Band Surgery ?

i agree..I wish I had done it sooner... there are days I hate my band but I come back to my senses and realize I want to avoid emotions by eating,,,I think therapy has been so important,,,because I dont eat because I am hungry..I eat because I am sad, mad , lonely, happy...you name it

I went to Australia in August and then had my surgery in October. I regretted spending over $1,500 on a new wardrobe in Australia when I knew I wanted the surgery ( but I really had nothing to wear because clothes aren't in big sizes in Korea).

All those clothes didn't fit me come December :P

LOL!! Well that's a good regret!! hahaha..I can't wait until the day I can say, all my clothes are too big for me! :P

Thank you for sharing..that put a smile on my face (and made me LOL!)! :D

i agree..I wish I had done it sooner... there are days I hate my band but I come back to my senses and realize I want to avoid emotions by eating,,,I think therapy has been so important,,,because I dont eat because I am hungry..I eat because I am sad, mad , lonely, happy...you name it

Definitely can relate.. I realized I had to do something about this weight when I looked up one day and I was eating because I depressed about eating. What kind of sense does that make?? LoL! I have had so many "not hungry" eating moments.. and those are no fun.

Thank you so much for sharing and being so candid! All the best on your journey! :rolleyes:

Yes. I Am regretting it, and I was JUST banded Wednesday. To be honest, I'm hungry-and to not be able to do anything about it IS frustrating. I realize, I'm just as they say, "grieving" food at this point, but I do wonder why I did it. I mean, I KNOW why, but I've never had any type of surgery, and to look down at these incisions, knowing there's something in me that can make me miserable(that is, if I'm foolish enough to eat the wrong things-which I'm NOT..lol..)is kinda scary. The hunger at this point is OVERWHELMING. But I know I'm not "eating" enough at this point(I could only get in about 250 cals yesterday,so..it's definitely NOT head hunger). BUT, I have to remember that I wanted to to do this-noone forced me- and I had the extra blessing of not having to pay a dime towards the actual surgery, so- I will chew slowly and carefully, eat the "right" foods and I WILL succeed! And so will you!!:)..and thinking about when I get to finally have eggs helps a whole lot!

So far, no regrets--and it's only been two weeks, so the post-surgical pain is still a fresh memory. :)

Seriously--I had given up on ever being able to lose weight and be "normal" again. But since I started this journey (beginning with a six-month doctor-supervised diet to satisfy my insurance requirements) I have lost 47 pounds and gained the ability to climb a flight of stairs without stopping, to chase my toddler around the house without huffing and puffing, to go for walks outside with my husband and daughter without feeling exhausted.

This is the best decision I've ever made for my health.

I lost 100lbs with the band (I got mine 12/2004), but I do wish I'd done more research on the band, and the different types. I didn't realize the band fail rate was as high as it was several years post-op. I'm actually looking at having it removed and getting a RNY bypass done.

No regrets at all! Though I kind of wish I did it sooner, but not sure if I was truly ready. Also, the band has given me some restriction, but not a ton (I could get more if I wanted) buy I feel a lot af this is just me and I'm just finally dieting right and the band gave me the kick in thd ass to actually do OT right. So not totally sued if I needed the band

Yes. I Am regretting it, and I was JUST banded Wednesday. To be honest, I'm hungry-and to not be able to do anything about it IS frustrating. I realize, I'm just as they say, "grieving" food at this point, but I do wonder why I did it. I mean, I KNOW why, but I've never had any type of surgery, and to look down at these incisions, knowing there's something in me that can make me miserable(that is, if I'm foolish enough to eat the wrong things-which I'm NOT..lol..)is kinda scary. The hunger at this point is OVERWHELMING. But I know I'm not "eating" enough at this point(I could only get in about 250 cals yesterday,so..it's definitely NOT head hunger). BUT, I have to remember that I wanted to to do this-noone forced me- and I had the extra blessing of not having to pay a dime towards the actual surgery, so- I will chew slowly and carefully, eat the "right" foods and I WILL succeed! And so will you!!:)..and thinking about when I get to finally have eggs helps a whole lot!

Wow..that's some quick regret!! Well, I hope everything works out. You seem to have a great "can-do" attitude, so I'm sure failure is not an option. I definitely understand the concern of something foreign being inside you..but I just hope for the best. I have not been banded yet, but I was told that over the course of about a month the Dr. will gradually fill and, subsequently, tighten the band as the swelling goes down..but they don't tighten everything at once because you'll feel false restriction from the swelling. I hope everything goes well with the healing process! Thank you so much for sharing!!

All the best on this new chapter of your life's journey!! :rolleyes:

I lost 100lbs with the band (I got mine 12/2004), but I do wish I'd done more research on the band, and the different types. I didn't realize the band fail rate was as high as it was several years post-op. I'm actually looking at having it removed and getting a RNY bypass done.

Yea.. In my research I did see that around the 10yr mark it doesn't hold up so well. But hopefully by that time I'll be where I want and need to be..and have even been considering a sleeve at that point or that new non-bypass bypass.. LoL! I don't know much about it, but I am going to read up on it.

Thanks for sharing!! All the best as you continue on your journey and with your surgical decisions!! :rolleyes:

No regrets at all! Though I kind of wish I did it sooner, but not sure if I was truly ready. Also, the band has given me some restriction, but not a ton (I could get more if I wanted) buy I feel a lot af this is just me and I'm just finally dieting right and the band gave me the kick in thd ass to actually do OT right. So not totally sued if I needed the band

I have heard that same thing from some people. I've also heard people say they wish they'd've done this sooner. I was thinking the same thing, but like you...I know I wasn't ready. Mentally, physically or financially. So this is the right time. That's amazing to have lost your weight mostly by sheer will power! Congrats on all of your success and thank you for sharing!!

All the best on your journey!! :rolleyes:

Gonna have to jump in the boat with not doing it sooner. Wish I had felt like this when I was 18 ;)

Gonna have to jump in the boat with not doing it sooner. Wish I had felt like this when I was 18 ;)

Yea, no kidding!! If I'd've known about this about 7-9yrs ago, I surely would have jumped on the bandwagon (no pun intended LoL)! But everything happens for a reason!

Thank you for sharing!

All the best as you continue your journey!! :rolleyes:

Not one regret!!! Well if I could do it again I probably wouldn't tell anyone.

Hmm..that's interesting. Why not? :unsure:

I am only 10 days post op. Not going to hold anything on this one. I had my first break down a couple of days ago asking myself if I made the right decision. Then the next day I got on the scales. I had lost 11 lbs in a week. So I quickly changed my attitude. So at this point, I have no regrets. But just know that I think we all hit that breakdown at some point after we have the surgery. Every day my clothes fit different and that just reminds me on why I did it! I have been getting more creative on food since I am still on the full liquid diet.

Good luck to you!!!!!!

I can touch on not telling anyone... When I was Banded in 2006. I spread the good news ! Happy as can be....

Did I catch all the Sh*t that they could throw at me. Why did you do it, don't you have any willpower? Can't you do it on your own? Why would you do something like that? Are you crazy?

You get the idea. Not 1 person said I wish you luck or anything positive.

So this time around, I learned. It's my business. Except for what I share on here.

You may think that's shallow ! But it's not ! It's just keeping a situation under control, so people don't get carried away with it, because they don't understand it. It can run wild, with all the misinformation.