Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year out and really need some help.

So I am 13 months out from surgery. I have lost around 60lbs and have taken my BMI down to around 29. I have gone from a size 22 to a size 8/10. But I have been gaining and losing the same 5lbs for the last 6 months.

I've been having a lot of problems getting fills. Currently I am 10ccs in an 11cc band. I am restricted some what (I PB if I eat too fast) but I was able to eat a whole steak at the weekend plus sides. I shouldn't be able to do that! I saw my doctor yesterday for a fill. I asked him to add 0.2 to my band. This resulted in me throwing up saliva for the next hour. I told him to remove it again as I have work today and I couldn't take time off if it didn't improve. When I was at 10.2 my stomach really hurt. I would like to say this is the first time it has happened but this has happened the last 4 times I've had a fill. Is this normal? How do you feel when you get a fill that is close to your capacity? I was up to 10.8ccs 6 months ago but because of these problems I keep on losing fill each time I try to get filled!!

I am desperate to get down to my goal weight of 130lbs (I"m currently 163). I know it's not a huge amount of weight but I also feel that my compulsive eating is rearing its ugly head again. For the last year my eating has been good. For the most part I was making good choices. For the last month (in relation to stress) I have been making bad choices. I know I need to get rid of the carbs but I don't want to diet as this just leads to me yoyoing. What do you suggest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the problem here is you've been misinformed about how the band works, and what it's supposed to do for you. When you swallow a bite of food, it passes through your band and into the larger portion of your stomach in under a minute. So the band really isn't going to stop you from eating a whole steak. It sounds like you keep trying to get tighter and tighter, thinking that'll keep you from overeating?

If you read the first link in my sig (and the second too if you have time) I think it might shed some light on your current problem.

I think it's more emotional than physical. Take a week or two off (no weighing on the scale, no counting calories...). Focus on what you're eating; don't watch TV and eat, savor each bite. Then see if you listen to your body and stop eating when you feel restriction (not fullness).

I'm only six months out. I don't blame you about not wanting to diet; I don't either. But I am willing to make some changes. Congrats in the 60 pound loss!

Thanks for your replies.

It's definitely emotional to some extent. Obviously I have made changes in my diet otherwise I wouldn't be maintaining my weight.

I agree with you Rachel about restriction, and the articles make sense.

I think I really need to focus on why I have the urge to eat all the time. Right now it's probably related to stress about work and my master's degree thesis. Also boredom in the evenings. Binges are definitely not what they used to be. So that's a good thing. But I definitely feel like I'm not going to lose more weight until I cut down on what I'm eating.

First of all,,, I don't know how you can eat a whole steak? Breakfast steak, maybe, but a big one ,, know way....

The throwing up from the fills mean you are in the RED ZONE.. You don't want to be there at all.

Do you journal your food, and exercise? Try myfitnesspal.co it's free ! A lot of people from here are on there.

It helps me keep track. So if I am still hungry, I know what I can still have, by it telling me how many calories

I have left to have. I try to stay between 800-1200 a day.

Take a look at it, and see what you think.

I am Losingintime on that site.