Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for a support group in western washington puget sound area

Hello my name is Teresa

I was banded last tuesday june 21. I am starting to feel a bit better but I think that i am having some possible depression and am not sure what to do about it. I am looking for support from other banders that might be dealing with or have gone through a dark period and how it was resolved or is being resloved.

thanks

Teresa

weight.png

Hello my name is Teresa

I was banded last tuesday june 21. I am starting to feel a bit better but I think that i am having some possible depression and am not sure what to do about it. I am looking for support from other banders that might be dealing with or have gone through a dark period and how it was resolved or is being resloved.

thanks

Teresa

weight.png

Hi Teresa,

I'm not sure where you were banded, or which area you live in. Your band profile says one thing, but your surgeon info says another. I'm across the Sound from you (I think.) Have you asked your surgeon's office about support groups? Some will have their own group, or a counselor you can talk with about things. If you happen to be military, you may be able to ask Madigan Hospital or your primary physician if there are any groups they can recommend in your area. If you're actually in Bellingham, give a call to Dr. Walt Medlin's office - he runs a support group that is open to any bariatric patient. When I attended a meeting last year, it was all bypass patients, but they were very welcoming. If you can't find any place to go to, post your questions here. There are lots of folks at LBT who have been right where you are. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance.

After I was banded I had a period when I was wondering what the heck I'd done to myself. I was sore and feeling pretty sorry for myself. I could only drink a little bit of Fluid at a time, and I was feeling pretty much on my own. I was mourning the loss of being able to eat like I had pre-surgery. But I had read about so many band success stories, I knew I had to just dig in my heels and follow through with the plan I'd started for myself. Within a few weeks my discomfort was gone, I was back to eating real food (from a bandster's perspective,) and I was up and around like normal. My biggest life journey had finally gotten started. And I have never looked back. Six months later I am well down the road toward my goal, and I am absolutely delighted. Nothing I have ever done for myself has been as rewarding.

Hang in there. It does get better. Good luck!

Dave

Hi Teresa!!

I know there are some WLS support groups out of St Francis in Federal Way. I am going to start attending them next month (as I missed all of this month's groups). They might help, but I agree with Dave, check with your doctor, they might have ones already in place that you don't know about. Good luck!!!

Hello Dave,

I actually live in port orchard near bremerton. I had my surgery in everett but that is quite a drive for me to attend a group up there. I am a mother of 2 boys and am a full time student so my time is limited. I am out of school for the summer and am working on finding a group that is a good fit for me.

I really appreciate your honesty about how you felt after surgery. For me it is hard to describe but you said it perfectly. I am just afraid of failure. It is nice to know I am not alone.Thank you for responding and the encouragement and also for the inspiration. You should be very proud of yourself!

best of luck to you

Teresa

Master Harper,

Thank you very much for responding and I will be looking into the ones in federal way.