Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped Lap Band??

I was just curious- how do you know if your band has slipped? What does it feel like? Can vigorous exercise cause this?

Thanks everyone!!!

I was banded about a week ago and was wondering the same exact thing!

I was just curious- how do you know if your band has slipped? What does it feel like? Can vigorous exercise cause this?

Thanks everyone!!!

mine just slipped, and i did not know, but i was in such pain and throwing up and throwing up.

It started withagetting stuck, then i threw up, and kept throwing up, im sure that is what did it, but i will tell you this , OUCH, pain so bad i could not walk or talk.

just had surgery on thurs to repair it !! thank goodness, it may have had to been removed.

melissaNY :Banane23: :Dancing_shocked:

lea- I had surgery May 31st and I was curious bc I find myself getting nervous that if I exercise or lift something, its going to slip!!!!

Melissa- Thanks for the info! Im sorry you had to go through that but at least you back on track now!!!!!!! I wish you both the best of luck!!!!!

I was banded 2 years ago. Recently I developed acid reflux. Then I was at the point was I could barely tolerate soft foods. I was constantly bringing everything back up. When I reached the point of not even being able to tolerate icecream and having difficulty with liquids, i knew it was time to see the doctor. An esophagram showed that the band had slipped slightly. They removed 2 cm, and now i can even eat cheeseburgers... and the acid reflux is gone.

Exercise should not cause the band to slip. However constant PBing can. If you are constantly PBing or experience a lot of pain, go see your doctor.

I am a PA and have 4+ years in AGB care, fills, and have performed over 7000 barium swallows. Slippage and prolapse are being used as one in the same and they are NOT. Slippage is when the fundoplication (stitch) breaks loose and the band physically slips downward on the stomach. Prolapse is when stomach from below the band "mushrooms" up through the band, usually caused by an intense vomiting episode. However, both can present the same way.

1. epigastric pain and most described as "pressure" around the lower stenum.

2. Nocturnal reflux, liquids are "rolling" around in the back of your throat when you lay flat on your back at night. This will also make you cough and not sleep well. This is not good! You are at risk of aspiration pneumonia! Get up and sleep in a recliner.

3. Unable to eat solid foods and some liquuids without vomiting up soon after.

4. One day you feel fine and the next day these symptoms appear.

See you provider ASAP!!! An unfill will usually correct the symptoms but if your provider does NOT look at it under fluoro, no one will know what happened. The point is, THESE SYMPTOMS ARE C/W 1. SIMPLY A PIECE OF food IS CAUGHT IN THE BAND. 2. THE BAND IS SIMPLY TOO TIGHT SECONDARY TO A FILL OR POSSIBLY SWELLING AT THE STOMA. 3. IT IS A PROLAPSE (MILD TO SEVERE) . 4. IT IS A SLIPPED BAND.

iF YOUR PROVIDER DOESN'T LOOK AT IT WITH AN X-RAY OR FLUORO, YOU WON'T KNOW.

IF IT IS A PROLAPSE, YOUR BAND WILL ALWAYS PROLAPSE AGAIN AND AGAIN. SLIPS MAY HAVE A CHANCE TO BE REVISED BUT PROLAPSE SHOULD BE CONVERTED INTO A GASTRIC SLEEVE.

Prolapse is under reported because providers are NOT using fluoro to diagnose band complications. Simple unfill procedures correct most all band related complications and in the case of prolapse........prolapse is going to be an ongoing problem. Cash pay banders beware.

Thanks, bandwhisper. I found the info very helpful.

I went to the aftercare center yesterday to get a fill and under fluroscopy they told me I had severe slippage of my band, they removed all the Fluid (8cc) from my band and told me to come back in two weeks and we would review again. I had no idea that my band had slipped, no vomiting, no pain, no anything. They are going to send the film to my surgeon to review as well, I am very nervous and hope that I have not damaged something that will need to fixed surgically. This morning, I feel a little sore, and I expect that is normal with everything trying to go back into place. I went ahead and called my surgeon to see if can request the films sooner and just give me some piece of mind.

I am a PA and have 4+ years in AGB care, fills, and have performed over 7000 barium swallows. Slippage and prolapse are being used as one in the same and they are NOT. Slippage is when the fundoplication (stitch) breaks loose and the band physically slips downward on the stomach. Prolapse is when stomach from below the band "mushrooms" up through the band, usually caused by an intense vomiting episode. However, both can present the same way.

2. Nocturnal reflux, liquids are "rolling" around in the back of your throat when you lay flat on your back at night. This will also make you cough and not sleep well. This is not good! You are at risk of aspiration pneumonia! Get up and sleep in a recliner.

See you provider ASAP!!! An unfill will usually correct the symptoms but if your provider does NOT look at it under fluoro, no one will know what happened. The point is, THESE SYMPTOMS ARE C/W 1. SIMPLY A PIECE OF food IS CAUGHT IN THE BAND. 2. THE BAND IS SIMPLY TOO TIGHT SECONDARY TO A FILL OR POSSIBLY SWELLING AT THE STOMA. 3. IT IS A PROLAPSE (MILD TO SEVERE) . 4. IT IS A SLIPPED BAND.

IF IT IS A PROLAPSE, YOUR BAND WILL ALWAYS PROLAPSE AGAIN AND AGAIN. SLIPS MAY HAVE A CHANCE TO BE REVISED BUT PROLAPSE SHOULD BE CONVERTED INTO A GASTRIC SLEEVE.

Prolapse is under reported because providers are NOT using fluoro to diagnose band complications. Simple unfill procedures correct most all band related complications and in the case of prolapse........prolapse is going to be an ongoing problem. Cash pay banders beware.

I went to the aftercare center yesterday to get a fill and under fluroscopy they told me I had severe slippage of my band, they removed all the Fluid (8cc) from my band and told me to come back in two weeks and we would review again. I had no idea that my band had slipped, no vomiting, no pain, no anything. They are going to send the film to my surgeon to review as well, I am very nervous and hope that I have not damaged something that will need to fixed surgically. This morning, I feel a little sore, and I expect that is normal with everything trying to go back into place. I went ahead and called my surgeon to see if can request the films sooner and just give me some piece of mind.

I have had an issue with my port site area bothering me,i had my surgery june 28th and it was sore about 2 weeks and then i felt great.I just went on vacation lastweek and had a great time,maybe was in the ocean to much because after a long day of riding the waves and swimming the pain came back almost the same feeling I had after surgery in that area, kind of like a pulling and I cannot lay on that side of my stomach.I dont know if maybe i strained something..but a little nervous,has anyone else ever felt this pain before?

Scared. I had surgery 6/9/09 and have lost 55 pounds. Feel great, running and still losing consistently. I have about 30 to go.

I went in for a fill about a month ago and had to go back within 2 days because I couldn't even keep Water down.

They removed what they put in. I was fine.

Recently I have had horrible reflux at night. Shot up to my nose last night - yuck.

Today I can't even keep water down.

Not sure if it's blockage or slippage.

I don't want to have my band removed - I have come too far. I don't want the sleeve or any other surgery.

I am a self pay and can't afford any further surgery.

I don't want all of my fill removed for fear of gaining again :( HELP!

Erin,

Maybe you need to have a bit more removed. I was banded 2 years ago also. Suffered for a long time with difficulty eating and PBing. The developed acid reflux. I'm self pay also, so hestiated on going for an adjstment.

I'm glad I finally did, as the acid reflux cleared up instantly and I can eat anything now - which is a bit of a worry, since I have started to put a bit of weight back again. I probably should go for a small adjustment, but I'm going to try to hold off for a bit until the weather gets cooler. I found that I have more difficulty swallowing when the weather & humidy is hot. Does anyone else experience that?

Joan

I had my band since 2004 and until about a year or so ago, I've been experiencing acid reflux, night coughfing and regurigation. I reciently had to have the Fluid removed and I'm scheduled for a scoping next week. I've gained almost 40 pounds and feel terrible - emotionally as well as physically. I am so dissapointed in my self for gaining and I knew I was gaining, I just was enjoying my life with my new love and put myself behind him and his needs and wants. I am so depressed and angry but anxious too put this behind me and get my fill back and unfortunately start over again. I've lost 105 pounds and can't stop thinking about what it was like to be that weight again. I don't want to be 100+ pounds again. I have to find a way to keep my relationship going and put myself first. Any suggestions???

I had my band since 2004 and until about a year or so ago, I've been experiencing acid reflux, night coughfing and regurigation. I reciently had to have the Fluid removed and I'm scheduled for a scoping next week. I've gained almost 40 pounds and feel terrible - emotionally as well as physically. I am so dissapointed in my self for gaining and I knew I was gaining, I just was enjoying my life with my new love and put myself behind him and his needs and wants. I am so depressed and angry but anxious too put this behind me and get my fill back and unfortunately start over again. I've lost 105 pounds and can't stop thinking about what it was like to be that weight again. I don't want to be 100+ pounds again. I have to find a way to keep my relationship going and put myself first. Any suggestions???

Good luck next week. Hope rge scoping shows only a minor slippage, and you can get a refill and be back on your way to loosing again. I only had 2 cms taken out, but I can't stop eating. I've put on 5 lbs in the past few weeks, and at this rate, I will gain everythinbg back quickly. One consolation, is that what I'm consuming is no where near what I used to, but I'm woried that I'll strethc out the pouch.

I know I need to get back on track, and start planning my meals. I just keeping saying tomorrow....

Thanks, bandwhisper. I wish the doctors can take the time and explain as you did. That is EXACTLY what was

happening to me, I infilled my band and next spet is remove, but I do not have money and all the doctors will not do anything withour at least 2,000 in advance.....

quote name='bandwhisperer' timestamp='1311268826' post='1642798']

Scared. I had surgery 6/9/09 and have lost 55 pounds. Feel great, running and still losing consistently. I have about 30 to go.

I went in for a fill about a month ago and had to go back within 2 days because I couldn't even keep Water down.

They removed what they put in. I was fine.

Recently I have had horrible reflux at night. Shot up to my nose last night - yuck.

Today I can't even keep water down.

Not sure if it's blockage or slippage.

I don't want to have my band removed - I have come too far. I don't want the sleeve or any other surgery.

I am a self pay and can't afford any further surgery.

I don't want all of my fill removed for fear of gaining again :( HELP!