Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello to any & all that read my post. Thank you!

I am at just nearly 8 months since my surgery...... and my life has changed... improved in so many ways. I have lost nearly 100 lbs since I started this journey, and I am thrilled and thankful.

And here is why I am posting. I have so far to go still to my goal.. and need to find others who are on this same journey. Guess I am needing a sort of buddy/accountability partner.

My deal is that I had a fill on Mon Jan 31. Just a 1/2 cc the doctor said. It was terrible! I couldnt keep anything down & lost like 12 lbs before I could get back in to see him on Friday Feb 4. He took out the 1/2 cc he put in just five days before. Loved the weight loss, but clearly that is not how to do it!

So idk, I think the experience sort of messed with my head a little bit.. and I took to eating Soups and yogurts and smoothies..... and in the four months since, I haven't lost any weight......... and I feel like I have returned to some bad habits.

I want to do this............ I want to get to my goal........... I really do!

I got a fill yesterday. Another 1/2 cc in. I also got a reminder about doing solid Proteins. Of course today I am still on mushy... but I am trying to think and plan for tomorrow and the days after...... and find my self worried..........

Could I have stretched the pouch to the point that it wont work?

Would I know if the band has slipped?

What if I cant eat solids... and I cant lose on liquids?

Do other people have these experiences?

I am looking for friends who I can walk along with on this journey-- and am open to helpful insight & would love some encouragement!

Thank you for "listening"

Tracy

Gosh, I don't know what to say except please don't stop. I have only been banded since 2/23/11 and have only lost 43 lbs so congrats on your 100 pounds. This morning i was officially at 220.4. You are so close to wonderland, If the overall big picture is causing you stress, set a mini short term goal with me to get to wonderland with me. It will encourage you to get back on your eating right and exerciae plan. I am only 5'1" so when I look at that I have another hundred pounds to lose then it gets overwhelming. That's what I have done. My next goal is to hit wonderland and that is in 20 more pounds. After that, my goal is to hit 150 and then 120. It's just easier for me to break it down to make it more manageable. I also tacked a pair of jeans the size I want to be in on my wall in my work out room so it stairs at me all the time. I heard someone say to tie a bikini that you like around the frig door as a motavator. Come on chicky poo. we can do this. It's time......................woo hoo.

Tracy - I don't mind answering any quesitons. Feel free to email me at anytime.

Could I have stretched the pouch to the point that it wont work? - it's highly unlikely that you've stretched your pouch. Especially by just eating Soups and yogurt

Would I know if the band has slipped? - Yes I think you would......nothing would stay down - which is pretty much the same as being too tight

What if I cant eat solids... and I cant lose on liquids? - Of course you can lose on liquids - that's why they have medfast - you just don't want to! You want to be able to eat soilds. Some people have to be on liquids for several days after a fill. Pretty much my first year I could only have Protein drinks for Breakfast. I don't LOVE Protein Drinks - but I drink them because I want the Protein. EAS Myoplex Lite has 170 cals and 20 grams of protein.

Do other people have these experiences? - yes and no! LOL that's what's so interesting about the band - everyone is different. I took me about a year before I thought I finally had it figured out......then this past 4-6 months.....it changed again.

Here's the deal for me......I always get in 55-65 grams of protein EVERY day. I don't care how you have to do it: Protein Drinks, fat free greek yogurt (I like dannon vanilla - little cals and 12 grams of protein. Between my Protein Drink and my yogurt, I get 32 grams of protein for breakfast......more than half my days worth. The protein helps keep you full and helps you keep you hair and build your muscle once you start really getting into your exercising.

When things are feeling tight - I also eat fat free refried Beans with cheese - a staple in Texas. LOL

Another favorite of mine is spring mix salad with fresh chicken salad. Roast a chicken, remove all the skin and de-bone, chop up the meat, add onion, celery (chopped very small) & lite mayo if you want. It's a great way to get green veggies and protein. Or just by one from the store and do the same. I tend to have trouble with eggs, but not with shrimp......go figure.

And here's my weakness - bread - any kind of bread - so I needed to stay so tight that I just couldn't eat bread! Now, since I've reach goal, I had 1/2 cc removed and I can eat more - including a slice of thin crust pizza.....which is a big deal for me. I have gained 4 pounds - but with the humidity here - I'm just swollen.

But I will tell you that since I've had some Fluid removed, I've been a little freaked out about being able to eat more food. But, I'm slowly getting over that!

Another thing - once you get that first fill that really restricts you - you can no longer eat the way you were - you are limited not only on quantities, but also types of food. Before my first fill, I was able to go eat Panda Express - Seasame Chicken. After the fill - NOT AT ALL! And I was pretty frustrated - but my frustration came the restriction coming 3 months after my surgery.....I felt I should have been that tight from the begining. So if you think your too tight and can't keep anything down.....it could be you just need to change what you are eating.

Also - I signed up (on my laptop and my iphone) with Livestrong.com. I enter in all my food and exercise every day while I was losing. You put in how much you want to lose a week - mine was 2 pounds and it tells you how many cals you get a week to hit your goal. Also - I didn't eat my extra excercise cals - I just left them on the table.

Sorry for the rambling - I was bound and determined not to pay $9800 out of pock and for each of my fills and not lose my weight....

I hope this fill puts you in a good place in terms of your band. You want to be able to eat solids for sure, at least a couple days after the fill. Follow your doc's instructions on that. Setting mini goals is a great idea. How about adding in an excersise goal? If you already are working out, set mini goals to increase what your doing. If your not, set a small goal to get started. Maybe some light cardio like a brisk walk to start out. You can gradually increase your duration/intensity. A goal can be to workout for 20 minutes 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Reward yourself when you meet a goal, just not with food. Maybe buy a new top or get a spa treatment. Excersise is tough to start, took me about 4 months post op to hit the gym. Good luck! You can do it!

I am glad i read this post. I am so discouraged with my band. I was banded on dec 15 2010 and have only lost 25 pounds.. I have had 3 fills and cant wait to get another. After reading this I am a little bit encouraged not 2 give up..

Thanks

Don't give up, and don't let your anxiety over eating solids get the best of you! Probably you've been getting in too many calories on liquids-- I think it's easy to forget how calorie-laden things like smoothies can actually be and we don't count it if we're drinking it. Start slow with the proteins-- after a fill, I am on liquids for two days and then my first meal post-liquid is refried Beans. Then I just move on to solid Proteins, take it very slow, chew chew chew, and see what happens.

I think it takes long-term abuse of chronic overeating to stretch the pouch. It seems highly unlikely that you've done that. Also, people with slips tend to know it-- they can't keep anything down, including Water. It sounds to me like you might have a bit of an issue with anxiety and the band. Understandable! But if it's getting the best of you, it might be time to make an appointment with a psychologist to work on it. Luckily, anxiety is pretty easy to treat and it's better to get it sooner than later-- even easier then :)

Thanks so much for your reply & encouragement! Unfortunately, I think that you are probably quite right-- my "head" has gotten into a weird spot & I need to be working on that-- as much as making different food choices!

I do feel quite anxious about eating solids-- and I think here is the thing........... I was wanting to not have to think so much about eating-- I just wanted to get to that "eat to live" kind of place--- Not "live to eat" So doing things like smoothies and yogurt and Soup, made it easier to do that. Now I will be working on that element much more.

Since my fill on Wednesday, I had just clear liquid on Wed; Protein drink and yogurt yesterday. Today I successfully added some almonds and very soft cheese and about an once of roasted chicken.--concentrating very much on chewing & small bites. I have kept everything down, and drank plenty of water-- so I am hopeful that tomorrow I can add a bit more solid.

Thank you so much for your reply-- it helps to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences. I will be in touch!

Tracy

Don't give up, and don't let your anxiety over eating solids get the best of you! Probably you've been getting in too many calories on liquids-- I think it's easy to forget how calorie-laden things like smoothies can actually be and we don't count it if we're drinking it. Start slow with the proteins-- after a fill, I am on liquids for two days and then my first meal post-liquid is refried Beans. Then I just move on to solid Proteins, take it very slow, chew chew chew, and see what happens.

I think it takes long-term abuse of chronic overeating to stretch the pouch. It seems highly unlikely that you've done that. Also, people with slips tend to know it-- they can't keep anything down, including Water. It sounds to me like you might have a bit of an issue with anxiety and the band. Understandable! But if it's getting the best of you, it might be time to make an appointment with a psychologist to work on it. Luckily, anxiety is pretty easy to treat and it's better to get it sooner than later-- even easier then :)

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

LOL, well let me be clear........ while I had taken to lots of Soups and yogurt............ I certainly found that much of the time I could also eat many other things (poor choices) fairly easily. Which is part of what is so confusing to me. You mentioned that sense you have been loosened you can eat a slice of thin crust pizza-- I could eat thin crust pizza pretty easily during the past several months. But I never eat any bread-- I love bread......but I am terrified of it getting stuck! LOL

As I think back over the past four months, I think I had no significant restriction at all.

I have heard/read that intake at a meal should only be about 1/2- 3/4 cup of food. Would you say that is about what you are doing?

Another question, I notice you say you have a Protein drink and yogurt for breakfast-- do you drink the drink and wait an hour before eating the yogurt?

I plan to work up to thin sliced deli turkey and eggs this weekend. And will really focus on small bites, chewing and going slowly. I am sure those things will make a difference. Like you, I really really do not want to waste the time and financial investment I have made to wls-- Please know that your encouragement and answering questions helps so much!

Tracy

Tracy - I don't mind answering any quesitons. Feel free to email me at anytime.

Could I have stretched the pouch to the point that it wont work? - it's highly unlikely that you've stretched your pouch. Especially by just eating soups and yogurt

Would I know if the band has slipped? - Yes I think you would......nothing would stay down - which is pretty much the same as being too tight

What if I cant eat solids... and I cant lose on liquids? - Of course you can lose on liquids - that's why they have medfast - you just don't want to! You want to be able to eat soilds. Some people have to be on liquids for several days after a fill. Pretty much my first year I could only have Protein drinks for Breakfast. I don't LOVE protein drinks - but I drink them because I want the protein. EAS Myoplex Lite has 170 cals and 20 grams of protein.

Do other people have these experiences? - yes and no! LOL that's what's so interesting about the band - everyone is different. I took me about a year before I thought I finally had it figured out......then this past 4-6 months.....it changed again.

Here's the deal for me......I always get in 55-65 grams of protein EVERY day. I don't care how you have to do it: protein drinks, fat free greek yogurt (I like dannon vanilla - little cals and 12 grams of protein. Between my Protein Drink and my yogurt, I get 32 grams of protein for breakfast......more than half my days worth. The protein helps keep you full and helps you keep you hair and build your muscle once you start really getting into your exercising.

When things are feeling tight - I also eat fat free refried Beans with cheese - a staple in Texas. LOL

Another favorite of mine is spring mix salad with fresh chicken salad. Roast a chicken, remove all the skin and de-bone, chop up the meat, add onion, celery (chopped very small) & lite mayo if you want. It's a great way to get green veggies and protein. Or just by one from the store and do the same. I tend to have trouble with eggs, but not with shrimp......go figure.

And here's my weakness - bread - any kind of bread - so I needed to stay so tight that I just couldn't eat bread! Now, since I've reach goal, I had 1/2 cc removed and I can eat more - including a slice of thin crust pizza.....which is a big deal for me. I have gained 4 pounds - but with the humidity here - I'm just swollen.

But I will tell you that since I've had some Fluid removed, I've been a little freaked out about being able to eat more food. But, I'm slowly getting over that!

Another thing - once you get that first fill that really restricts you - you can no longer eat the way you were - you are limited not only on quantities, but also types of food. Before my first fill, I was able to go eat Panda Express - Seasame Chicken. After the fill - NOT AT ALL! And I was pretty frustrated - but my frustration came the restriction coming 3 months after my surgery.....I felt I should have been that tight from the begining. So if you think your too tight and can't keep anything down.....it could be you just need to change what you are eating.

Also - I signed up (on my laptop and my iphone) with Livestrong.com. I enter in all my food and exercise every day while I was losing. You put in how much you want to lose a week - mine was 2 pounds and it tells you how many cals you get a week to hit your goal. Also - I didn't eat my extra excercise cals - I just left them on the table.

Sorry for the rambling - I was bound and determined not to pay $9800 out of pock and for each of my fills and not lose my weight....

I drink my Protein drink on the way to work - about 7:30 & have my Greek yogurt between 9:30 & 10. I have a cup or more of mixed spring salad, with a 1/4-1/2 a cup of chicken salad for lunch about 1. I try really hard to have lite cheese & a fruit around 3 & than cook whatever for dinner. I also have a weight watchers snack (ice cream - that kind of thing for a snack). I try to eat about every 3-4 hours & I don't take longer than 1/2 an hour to eat. At the end of that time, I through it away

And remember, it's 1/2-3/4 cops of chewed food. I pretty much follow weight watchers. If you been on that program before, there's no reason to stop now!

Wow! That is enormously helpful!! That is very similar to what I have been doing-- with regard to breakfast-

I did not know it was 1/2 - 3/4 cup of chewed food. That changes things quite a bit! LOL

I have tightened up quite a bit since my fill on Wednesday. Really concentrating on chewing and eating slowly. It is helping.

Now if I could figure out how to email you inside this site! LOL What is your name, by the way?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Tracy :)

I drink my Protein drink on the way to work - about 7:30 & have my Greek yogurt between 9:30 & 10. I have a cup or more of mixed spring salad, with a 1/4-1/2 a cup of chicken salad for lunch about 1. I try really hard to have lite cheese & a fruit around 3 & than cook whatever for dinner. I also have a weight watchers snack (ice cream - that kind of thing for a snack). I try to eat about every 3-4 hours & I don't take longer than 1/2 an hour to eat. At the end of that time, I through it away

And remember, it's 1/2-3/4 cops of chewed food. I pretty much follow weight watchers. If you been on that program before, there's no reason to stop now!

My name is Terri