Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded 01/19/2005

Guest HKHarms

Where are you traveling from ? I know exactly what you are going through because my step father is in the final stages of colo rectal cancer and I was very nervous about leaving him and something bad happening and there being complications but everything went as planned and I was home in no time .. You will do just fine .. Don't worry !! Keep me posted and let me know how everything works out and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers ..

Hi JuliePlunk,

I am traveling from IL. and this morning at 3:30a.m. we got the call from the hospital that they wanted the whole family there. He is going quickly. My husband is from a big family, so they just wanted the kids there. I stayed home with our son and had my sister on standby just in case. I don't know what to do. Do I go or reschedule? I have already taken an leave of absent from work from my recovery and all my plans are in place. Any advice you have would be great.The reason I am asking is he could pass on today or weeks from now. Please don't think I am being cold-hearted, I just don't know what to do. My husband and I are floating the entire bill for this. My airfare alone was almost 1300.00. (that's was for me and my sister-in-law) I have a sister that lives very close and she already said that if I go she will be on standby for our son.

Thanks for Listening, Helena Harms

Boy, tough one! I consulted with mmy husband and asked what he would think if it were his Dad and we were in this fix. He said, I would tell here to go do your surgery. He said he is from a large family and after having lost both his and my parents, siblings seem to be the ones that are the best comfort at a time like that. You know feeling the same loss etc. After having just lost my Mom I also know that it is such a tough thing to go through. I guess as long as he has a good support system and you have it all planned, I would go through with my plan. If you are lucky, he will last till you come back anyway. If not he probably won't know if you are there anyway. Life sure soes throw road blocks doesn't it? I am going to pause and say a prayer for you and your family. The decision should be between you and you husband. Best wishes in your outcome!

DArlene

Darlene,

Congrats on your weight loss .. You can go to www.tickerfactory.com to set up your weight loss ticker for free.

I know the feeling about hunger... I am four days post op and I am having a hard time with hunger. I am trying to adjust to eating less food and more meals .. I think I am over doing it when I do eat because I eat until it hurts and I know that's not right .. I need to get into a support group so that I can do this the right way and be successful. I am always open for suggestions as I am soo scared to do the wrong thing ...

HKHarms ,

You have to do what you feel in your heart is best and follow your gut. This is a life altering decision and will forever change the way you live your life. I know that this surgery has benefitted me because I am a stress eater and since my step dad's diagnosis I have gained weight because I have stuffed my emotions.. I am not able to do this now and it has saved my life I believe. Before you make the decision to make the trip, put your loved one in the hands of the Lord and everything will work out for the best.. God Bless You and Keep you safe on your journey...

Keep me posted and let me know how things turn out ..

Julie plunk,

Thanks for the reply. I am feeling pretty good but not eating much. I am still doing just liquids. If I try more I am so afraid the gas will get worse.

I did have some sugar free ice cream tonight. Went well. Also went and got some defferent types of Soup. Wondering if I shouldn't try some lactaid pills. I wonder if my gas problem isn't comeing from dairy. I think I

may have had some of that troublr before only felt too full and stuffed all the time who knew why I had the gas???

I tried the ticker tape thing but could not get it from the web site over to this one?? I need step by step I guess.

Darlene

Darlene,

I am 5 days post op and I am not having much gas pain at all but I have been taking gas X like every 3 hours and not doing dairy products at all. They say that dairy products tend to make you more gassy and bloated during normal circumstances so in a situation like this it would make it worse I would think.. Have you tried sherbert ? It is pretty good and you can get it in sugar free as well. I know I am having a tough time because I am not sure what "full" is so I am eating til I start hurting and I know that is wrong.. I am too still doing liquids and trying to drink more then I am eating ... I find that I am in less pain this way .. On the ticker .. 0nce you go to the website and set it up , you have to go into your signature on this website and attach the link and it should show up under your signature when you post .. try this and let me know what happens.. Have a great day and keep in touch ..

Dear Julie,

I will try that when I get home tonight. Headed for work first and need to stop at the store and get some of those ever nutritous Protein drinks. I have exhausted (myself) my supplly of the ones I like. I find it interesting you can eat food. I can't have food until another 12 days. Full liquids for me. Like Soups and pudding. I have noticed a slight improvment in gas today. I think it is going to settle down now. I am going to try some laqtaid too. Maybe even some lactose milk for my soups and pudding.

I have had no problem with eating too much cause I can't eat. Will be nervous when that day arrives. I guess this doc is very conservative till you get the stoma healed. Wants no trouble from food and stretching. Glad for you that you can eat. I long to chew!!!

Gotta go to work,

Later.... Darlene

Welcome Julie Ann! So glad that you are right on course. Stay in touch with this website and others for support! To get your ticker, click above on user CP, then click edit signature. Go to tickerfactory.com to make your ticker. Copy the ticker (under edit). Then paste on your signature page. Good luck.Shawn

Darlene,

I am not eating yet either , I am only doing Soups, puddings, Jello ect... I am sorry I didn't make myself more clear.. I wish I coud eat solids ... I am having dreams about food .. lol .. I went to the store today as well and replenished my stash.. I try to keep a variety so that I don't get burned out .. this liquid stuff is getting old but I am determined... what I meant by eating too much is comsuming too much liquid at a time , but I called Dr Jay's office today and talked to his nurse tech and I think I will be ok now ... they are soo helpful. I won't be able to eat solid foods for at least six weeks .. so they say .. I think I will be ok .. I have faith .. Keep me posted and let me know how you are doing and I will do the same ..

Talk to ya soon !

Shawn,

thank you soo much .. I feel that I get the support I need from this website and I am thankful to be a part.. Each day gets a little better I think and as time goes by I hope this new way of life becomes second nature.. I have faith and I know I can do this .. I am determined ..

Hi,

I have sort of been out of touch for a bit. I went back to work and have had a real time crunch. We have even had out of town guests and beleive it or not I cooked for everyone and didn't eat. Wow!! Today we met some more out of town folks for Breakfast (there was a funeral they came for) I thought when I got to the resturant I would have yogurt. WEll, didn't have any so I improvised and talked her into making me a milkshake. It wasn't sugar or fat free but at least it was still liquid. I thought about bringing along my Protein drink but I thought for sure they would have yogurt. I only had a little and felt kind of cold so I didn't have any more and got a cup of tea which I drank all of. Just the first one of many times I will have to "deal" with this decision. I am still just thrilled with the experience so far and I do feel good. Incision is still sore and kind of itchy. I am told that means healing is taking place. I think it means I am allergic to the tape. I have never been even able to use a bandaid. Very sensitive skin.

Work went well. I am a hairdresser and spend a lot of time standing. I think it would be easier to go to work and sit, stand , walk etc., that standin in on place gets tough sometimes. We hairdressers earn our bread I tell you. I don't know any hairdressers that don't have lots of aches and pains. I decided today we all have horrible eating habits. None of us ever eat meals. WE don't take breaks or lunch hours. WE just work on through. 10 hour days as a rule. Hence we eat on the run. I HAVE to find a way to stop that habit>HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!! Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can do this! I can! I can! I can!

DArlene

Darlene,

I know exactly what you are going through because I am going through it also.. it is very scary for me as well but I just have to stay focused on what my ultimate goal is... sometimes it is ok to take short cuts but don't make it your way of life. you need to try to remember that since your stomach is smaller now that you need to eat more frequently so that your body is still getting nutrients just as it would if you were eating three regular meals a day. I am still having a hard time with this myself because I was just like you.. always on the go and fast food is my favorite .. not anymore.... lol

About the ithcing... I talked to Brandi at Dr. Jay's office and she said to get some hydrocortizone cream or Benadryl become sometimes it could be a reaction to the steri strips.. I am itchin' too .. a hot shower seems to help me.. I think it is part of the healing process as well though because all my strips are off ..

Well I need to run, I have to get my daughter ready for school.. Keep in touch .

Have a great day !

Tomarrow it is two weeks since I got my band. I had lost a little more from the get go but I think right afte surgery I was a little dehydrated. Now I am at about 14 lbs. No records but I am staying steady. :) I feel good. I have my usual back problems but that is nothing to do with the band, I have those all the time. I hope as this fat comes off I have less problems.

My itching has gotten better, I think it is mostly healing on the inside. My strips are off too. Friday I am going back to my deep Water aqua class.

I conduct the classes and I have had someone cover them for me and she

doesn't have time to do it anymore. I will just have to do it from the edge till my incision is healed.

My biggest problem is the constant never ending desire to eat more than I should. The week-end was the worst. I am still on full liquids so pudding, cream Soup etc. I don't feel any restriction because it all runs through the band at this point. I feel hungry a lot of the time but have found if I keep an open can of Protein Drink in the fridge and sip it throughout the day it gives me energy and helps with the hunger and I have to have 40 gr of Protein Drinks each day anyway.

Well, gotta go get ready for work. Have a good day Julie and keep in touch.

Darlene:clap2:

Darlene,

I know exactly what you are going through because I think we are in the same time frame... tomorrow I will be 14 days post op and I am having trouble maintaining my food consumption.. I too am still eating too much to fast and making myself miserable everytime.. I have graduated from solid liquids to mushy solids and I had real food today and did ok.. I just over did it.. I have lost 15 pounds and I am now at a stand still. I haven't been doing the protien drinks like I should.. I think I am going to try that this week and see if it helps to surpress my appetite. I am having trouble with dehydration also .. I have to remind myself to drink drink drink.. Where do you do the deep Water aqua classes and what exactly is that ?

Well I need to jump off here and get to bed ... Have a good day tomorrow and keep in touch ..

Darlene ~ Welcome to bandland!!! So glad that your doing okay wishing you a speedy recovery!!! So sorry to hear about your mother...may you bring yourself many happy years because of your decision to be banded!!

Good luck with your continued success!!!