Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone lost interest in food long after lap band surgery?

I was banded on August 26th, 2010 and I haven't had a fill since Feb 15th (I had a small amount of fill removed on Mar 8th). In the first weeks after surgery, I often had little interest in food. I mentioned in the topic description that this post has more relevance to people a few months or more out of surgery because it's quite normal to lose your appetite soon after a major operation. My current post is unrelated to that usual loss of appetite. Nine months after surgery, I've now suddenly lost interest in food. For a few weeks at the end of April, there would be days when I'd only eat something like 2 eggs and a 30 cal rye crisp for the whole day. That's it. I started eating normally a week later (at about 1100 calories, which is my daily target).

For the past two weeks, I'm finding again that, by each day's end, I've only eaten about 500-600 calories and I have to make an effort to then get to 800-900 calories. It's common for people to have a day or two like this, particularly when they're busy and they forget to eat, but I'm not even busy! I should be snacking like crazy because it's my summer break and I'm not working this summer. I spend most of the day at home near two fully stocked fridges.

I'm not doing this intentionally to lose weight. I know that some people eat only 700 calories/day on their diets, but I would rather lose slower (1-2 pounds/week) and be closer to meeting the 1200 cal/day health guideline for females. I also know a fair amount about biology and I'm cognizant of the risks of eating poorly. While I'm not seriously concerned for my health in the long-term (as this is probably just a weird phase and I'm still making an effort to meet my nutritional needs through supplements), I'm just wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing months or more after surgery.

I have to force myself to eat. I haven't had more than 700 calories a day in months. I'm a bit distressed by it. Unfortunately, I am eating once a day. I don't like it either. I thought going to the gym would increase my appetite. After two weeks of intense workouts (burning 600 calories in an hour), I am sitting here at 7:00pm having eaten nothing today and not looking forward to forcing down some salmon and cauliflower.

I think Reverie said she wondered if her brain was banded rather than her stomach. I feel the same way. I keep thinking I should just ride the wave as long as possible but, frankly, I am starting to feel a bit concerned.

I've noticed that I am gradually losing interest in food. I still crave one meal a day (usually lunch), but that's it. I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, and I usually drink Water until it's time to go to bed. I'm enjoying it.

No, I am not. My nutritionist said getting less Protein was ok as long as my protein comes from high quality sources but she still wants me to add more. I just can't bring myself to eat except for once a day.

Are you guys getting all the Protein you need? I was told I had consume 64 grams of Protein a day. Doing that alone is almost 400 cal, That's with the Whey protein drink and a protein shot drink.

I make sure to get enough protein and I take a high potency Multivitamin for vegetarians, plus a Vitamin D pill every day. Unfortunately, most of my protein is now coming from Protein shakes. Relying on Vitamin and protein supplements goes against much of what I feel to be a healthy approach to food and I feel that I ate healthier pre-band (except for the massive portions) than I am eating in this last month. I'm thinking this is just a phase. As I mentioned, if I weren't forcing myself to eat more, I'd usually end the day at about 500 calories. Today, I've eaten 368 calories according to my calorie counter, with 40 grams of protein, mostly from a high quality whey isolate powder. Before I go to bed, I'm going to have another scoop of protein with a full cup of 2% milk to bring up the caloric and nutritional content. And I'll definitely have some fruit and veggies. That'll bring me up to 650 or so calories. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to eat more calorie-dense items that don't take a lot of time to prepare or eat, but those are somewhat difficult to find for a vegetarian looking to keep fat intake down to 24g a day. The problem with losing interest in food is that you can't be bothered putting an effort into preparing and cooking when you don't really want to eat.

CheckYes, I think you should purchase a really high quality and good tasting Protein Powder if you haven't already. I find Protein drinks really easy to consume even when I don't want to eat anything. On days when I manage to eat 800 calories, I can usually get in 100g of protein largely with the help of whey. There's obviously a limit to how much people should get from supplemental sources as opposed to whole foods, but at least we'd be getting our protein until our appetites come back.

I have felt that way from time to time. My NUT finally convinced me to make myself have a Protein drink on those days. I don't like doing it but if my calories are too low then I dont lose and I definitely want to get my protein in so I don't start losing my hair.< /p>

I've noticed that I am gradually losing interest in food. I still crave one meal a day (usually lunch), but that's it. I have a Protein shake for breakfast, and I usually drink Water until it's time to go to bed. I'm enjoying it.

Maybe I misunderstood; are you only having one Protein Shake and Water in a whole day? If so, aren't you concerned about not getting in any veggies and the rest of your Protein? I know where you're coming from to an extent--obviously, since I started this thread--and I'm glad that you're enjoying your lessened appetite, but I think you should try to consume more than that and get your protein to an adequate level. Otherwise, your health, including your metabolism and muscle-mass, will decline severely. This is why CheckYes and I are somewhat concerned about our lack of appetite. I find using a calorie-counter useful because it tells me how much more I need to eat to reach certain nutritional targets. Calories and potassium are the only targets that I'm having a hard time meeting.

I have a soy Protein Shake that tastes good. I'm vegetarian so only can do whey if it is organic. I just don't want to drink it. I have two cups of coffee in the morning with a spoonful of honey in each and then nothing but Water until 7:00 when I eat four ounces or fish and about a 3/4 c of some sort of veggie. I do either have a sugar free Popsicle or a sugar free pudding about two hours later.

I do take a Centrum chewable, B12 sublingual and a B-Stress complex.

This has been how I have felt since the day of surgery. I have no fill, never hit bandsters hell and apart from some Hair loss (that no one but me has noticed), I am feeling good. Not having an appetite is something I have never experiences before.

I wouldn't say I have lost interest in food but I have lost interest in certain types of food/restaurants - mainly fast food type of places.

I haven't lost complete interest but I sure am not food obsessed like I used to be and alot of times, I have to force myself to eat a meal. I am thinking this might be part of why I have been stalling or slow in my loss, I am not eating enough, which is quite an odd thing considering the person I used to be before my surgery. I just don't think about food too often, not in the way I used to in any case, unless I am anxious to try out some new recipes I have concocted.

Oh no, I eat one good meal a day. It's usually lunch. I'll have a Protein drink for breakfast, a good lunch and I'm pretty much set for the day. I may have a few almonds or something like that as an evening snack, and I drink most of my Water after lunch. I'd say I'm getting about 1000 to 1200 calories a day. I could probably make an effort to get more protein though.

I have no interest in food at this point - 10 months out. I have to force myself to get the calorie and Protein goal.

Thank you ladies! My husband is on me daily to eat. Most mornings I feel to tight (mental), I just know that my tummy is not yet open for business. I will have a coffee to get started, then some Water to do my meds. I look up and it's 3 and I haven't eaten anything. Yesterday I had a coffee, a shake and 2 bites out of a club sandwich. My tummy was still closed to business and I was fast reaching for my enzyme tablets! Two weeks ago I ate a hamburger no problem, I just never know what will go. I think it's best not to eat just to eat, but if we don't eat enough and get that water, we don't loose weight. Catch 22

I haven't lost complete interest but I sure am not food obsessed like I used to be and alot of times, I have to force myself to eat a meal. I am thinking this might be part of why I have been stalling or slow in my loss, I am not eating enough, which is quite an odd thing considering the person I used to be before my surgery. I just don't think about food too often, not in the way I used to in any case, unless I am anxious to try out some new recipes I have concocted.

W-E-P-N-S .... Love it ....

This topic is so interesting to me as I've been a starver/binger all my life so not eating scares me as much as eating (health and metabolism problems). Thanks for sharing ....