Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I start eating less

You are correct. You can eat (and eat alot) around the band. I just dn't think that way since I try to eat my protiens first, etc, so the band definitely makes me full sooner and eat less than I normally would.

Awesome! And that's how it should work :)

You will get more restriction when you have more fills but the fact remains that the band isn't going to reach out it's hand from your stomach and keep the fork/spoon away from your mouth. The band CANNOT and will NOT "make" you stop eating less. Yes it makes you fuller quicker and when you overeat the sensation is not the most pleasant, but nothing about the band will keep you from eating. Only you control what goes in your mouth; not your band.

Self-control is key as is willpower, without it the band does you no good.

My 2 cents.

Yep. Read this:

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

I feel too many people don't understand how the band works. I know it's a lot different than I thought it would be... but yes, mostly you have to control what you eat.

I agree with this. I have had three fills and most of the time the band helps me a LOT and prevents me from eating too much. Of course, before the band took over, I had to do this myself and still do at times. There are still, and I imagine there always will be, certain foods that I can eat and eat and eat. When I eat these foods I have to exercise the most control so I don't blow it completely. Also, we all have bad days. Don't kill yourself over it. Just follow the eating rules and be sure your bad days don't outweigh your good days so you continue to lose weight! Good Luck!!!

The band will never do all the work for you. You need to exercise some control over yourself and your eating habits. Buckle down and do this! You wanted it enough to have surgery - follow it up with a commitment to yourself to take good care of yourself.

Yes, in GENERAL, the band will eventually force you to eat less. However, if you eat certain foods, it won't matter, you'll be able to eat forever, if you so chose. For example: Ice cream, latte's, for me nachos!, and you'll figure out other foods that will just go down with no problem. Avoid them!!!!

I agree with comments that the band is only a tool but I'm not sure I agree that the band cannot and will not make a person eat less. If that is not the purpose of this specific tool, then what is its purpose? The band cannot make a person eat the correct foods but it certainly can make a person eat less of it. Else, why get go through all the pain and trouble of getting a band if it doesn't make you eat less and stay satisfied longer with less food?

I agree, restriction of food consumption is certaibly the reason we all have the lap band. It can be really hard when you don't have restriction, most us have not learned or mastered healthy eating. I would suggest getting some support which makes you accountable. No one likes to report bad news, stay focused.

Very interesting article/website. It makes a lot of sense what it says. It is easy to forget what the lab band actually does for you and how it works.

Thank you for sharing!