Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What?! No Caffeine again... ever???

Hi,

I just went to my nutrition class tonight and the nutritionist said we could never drink caffeine again?!?!?!?! Also, no alcohol?!?!?!! She said the caffeine restriction is because of the risk of gastritis. I said "well I haven't has gastritis from caffeine for 35 years... why would I get it after I have the band? She said she didn't know! HAHAHAH! Also, for the alcohol I was like "Are they crazy?" and she said she also didn't know why they restrict alcohol. All I know is, there is NO way I'm giving up either! That being said, has anyone had trouble with gastritis due to caffeine after being banded???

I haven't, and I drink coffee every day. Our docs say there's no reason why you can't have caffeine. Our main fill doc says "I gave up food, I sure as heck am not giving up caffeine!" She's been banded for 7 yrs with no problems.

The thing to do is make sure you don't put lots of sugar or fattening Creamers in your coffee.< /p>

Alcohol you have to be careful of for 2 reasons: the calories in the drink and the extra calories you often consume when you're drinking (e.g. Snacks or you eat more because you are more relaxed). I was told to try and avoid alcohol for those reasons while losing weight, but once in maintenance you can figure out how to work it back in. Plenty of people who are losing still have an occasional drink though.

So I'd say take your nutritionist's info with a grain of salt. Watch your calorie intake & you should be fine!

Oh piffle. I'd take that one with a huge grain of salt. I drink coffee daily still and it hasnt done me any harm.

It's no more dangerous with the band than without. coffee does have its risks but like anything, moderation is probably the key. And apparently Decaf is way harsher and more acidic than regular coffee.

I've cut down on coffee but include 2 or 3 decaf or regular teas a day - because decaf tea isnt harsh like coffee, but mainly because tea is full of antioxidants and is beneficial to your health.

What you have to know is that your nutritionist is ALWAYS going to err on the side of super conservative. I'll bet your nutritionist can't follow her own advice.

At the end of the day, you are responsible for YOUR OWN body and your own health. You make the decisions that are right for you.

You might find you want to cut down on caffeine and also drink far less than before. You have to be responsible to make the best choices for YOU.

I gave up caffeine for my surgery and never went back to it. Caffeine is a natural diaretic, it dehydrates your body. I spent the first weeks out of the hospital fighting to stay hydated to the point that I wasn't light headed, I sure as heck wasn't about to put something into my body that made me dehydrate!!!!! Then when the doc said I could go back to coffees and stuff, I figured I had already done all the withdrawls of caffeine and just haven't reintroduced it back into my system.

I think they do "no alcohol" becasue of the tremdous amount of calories in it!!!!! You can easily drink your entire days calories in 3 drinks, AND don't mention the fact that it slides right past your band and doesn't give you any satisfaction of being full.

Also I think alot of mixed drinks have bubbles, and I don't know about eveyone else but buddles are TOTALLY painful, I swore I would never have pop again after being banded, and 3 months post op I just had to taste what I was missing, OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH is all I can say, I spent 2 hours praying that I could just puke the ick up. And even once the bubbles were gone, by a belching contest to beat the band, the residual pain was still there.

Long post summed up, I think your body will determine what you give up, once you've spent hours begging your body to please do "Something" with whatever is causing your pain, you will gladly never consum it again. :-)

My nutritionist is super strict but even allows caffeine. She just wants us to be careful with pop after surgery and prefers we wait a few months. But she said coffee is okay, just because with the Creamers and such. She prefers no alcohol because of all the sugar and calories, but unless you are a non-drinker (which I am) it is probably pretty hard to completely give it up.

I drink coffee nearly every day, usually a cup or maybe even two if the band will let it go down. Some mornings it won't take more than a couple of sips. I drink starbucks cold coffee drinks or the occasional moolatte from DQ in the later day.

I drink the occasional soda, 1 a week maybe, but it has to be in a cup over ice with a straw. Some of the carbonation releases before I get to it. I had a peach margarita Sunday with lunch, and I've had beer a handful of times since banding without problems.

In my opinion, your body will let you know what works for you and what doesn't. Use care, and listen to it's signals and you should be fine. If your weight loss stalls, if gas or bloat is a problem, or if Pbing or pain is an issue, then re-evaluate your diet. Common sense and moderation is definitely the key.

I'm 6 days out from surgery and never even thought about giving up coffee. Or an occasional "flat" beer or glass of wine for that matter. To me the band is about gaining not loosing. Punishment is not in my wgt loss program any longer. Stick with the Real Rules and I think you will do fine.

Patti

I was told I would have to give up my coffee. NOT ME!!! Nope I only missed my oral caffeine one day. That was the day of surgery.

I told the "knock out doc" and they said they would give me some IV so I wouldn't get a bad headache. My husband said thats all she needs! Caffeine IV!!! I am very creative, even when on my "only liquid" phase, I used my milk and carnation instant Breakfast in my coffee as my cream.

Take away my Java, and I would seriously have a melt down.:)

As for alcohol, my vise was beer. No more of that. No carbination.

So... Wine is good! In modreation though, I am not a big drinker anymore, I did my sowin of my oats in my 20's. :)

Take care!

Schel

I am not banded, but a surgeon I "interviewed" said he actually suggests drinking a little wine to relax everything.

AS for the caffiene, I do have gastritis and it's the caffiene and some foods that set it off. I just hope they will band me with gastritis.

I drink coffe, cappucino's, latte's, and all kinds of alchohol. My doc says we can have anything, even carbonation, but carbonation makes my tummy hurt so I dont have it. I don't know what she's saying about the caffeine, but alchohol should be avoided strictly b/c it's high calorie - but whatever, some people induldge in ice cream, I induldge in a margarita from time to time. I had my 1st alchohol drinks 3 weeks after surgery and I was fine.

I find it humorous when people want to make up their own rules.

jen

Every bandster has to decide which rules to follow for themselves because there is an astounding amount of variation in the information that we are given. My doc and nutritionist both said caffeine and alcohol are fine in moderation (thank God!). :)