Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello??? Does lap band work???

LapBand WORKS!!! You need more Protein.....

It has taken me 15 months to lose 73 lbs....................I even had 1 month where I didn't lose a single pound.

I never gave up - just (1) more to go!

The 1/2 cup thing is BS... It's about 4oz of Protein, then about a 1/2 cup of some kinda veggie, and a starch.

I eat

Breakfast

2 eggs

1 lite 100 cal english muffin

and a Tomato

lunch

3/4 cup tuna or chicken salad

2 crackers

dinner

4 turkey meatballs, with marinara and cheese, or a lean cuisine

and usually in there a snack, like a bowl of oatmeal.. and thats about 1200 calories.

YES some people are so tight they can't eat anything, but I eat a fairly normal diet, I'm just never hungry.

Also don't worry, you are just healing. It takes about 6 weeks for everything to even out.. and normal weight loss is 1-2lbs a week.

I am with all the others in that I question your 300 calorie a day diet. Your bodys metabolism will not work if your calories are that low.

hey, thanks for giving me an ida of what you eat..thats helpful...i ate a bowl of Soup one day and wanted to die from the pain..then the throwing up...but i felt my heart was being crushed...hard lesson learned about too much too fast...it was about 3/4c. i cant imagine eating as much as you are at once. im terrified. lol

but seriously, thanks for giving me an idea of what a "normal" diet for someone looks like. i appriciate it

The 1/2 cup thing is BS... It's about 4oz of Protein, then about a 1/2 cup of some kinda veggie, and a starch.

I eat

Breakfast

2 eggs

1 lite 100 cal english muffin

and a Tomato

lunch

3/4 cup tuna or chicken salad

2 crackers

dinner

4 turkey meatballs, with marinara and cheese, or a lean cuisine

and usually in there a snack, like a bowl of oatmeal.. and thats about 1200 calories.

YES some people are so tight they can't eat anything, but I eat a fairly normal diet, I'm just never hungry.

Also don't worry, you are just healing. It takes about 6 weeks for everything to even out.. and normal weight loss is 1-2lbs a week.

What your surgeon has told you--whether that's accurate or you have misunderstood--is different from what most of us have been told. That alone, would make me question what he has advised you to do. Personally, I always question. Medical errors are something like the top 3 reasons for deaths in the US each year!

It's definitely hard to figure out what to do when you hear 10 different things from 10 different people :)

This is something like what my diet looks like now that I'm totally healed (and it's normal for you not to be able to imagine eating this much considering you're so close to surgery-- you probably couldn't!):

Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee, followed 1/2 hour later with a Zone Perfect Protein Bar

Lunch: salad with chicken and cheese, or leftovers of some kind: today I'll be having about 3/4 cup of leftover fajita chicken (chicken with onions and peppers) topped with a dab of sour cream

Snack: somedays-- not every day-- but if I am hungry late afternoon I will have a couple of ounces of hard cheese or maybe some low carb crackers with hummus

Dinner: Protein and veggies-- for example, 4 turkey meatballs with marinara sauce, or a piece of fish or 3 oz of steak with a side of steamed veggies. Sometimes I have a quesadilla made with one whole wheat tortilla, cheese, and shrimp folded in half (usually I can't eat the whole thing though)

Right now, though, you're probably fine! You are still healing and figuring things out and your body will catch up to you eventually.

Well, all, I had a long heart to heart with the nutritionist at the drs.......he said 1/2cup of food 2-3 times a day, with at least 1/2 of it being Protein. he said some people lose inches first, then the scale catches up.

I'm going back to the Atkins shakes. At least I know they worked during pre-op. solid food isn't doing the trick...So, wish me luck! :)

I'm glad you're feeling more up-beat! It's amazing how much everyone's diets vary. Mine's 4 oz of Protein, then up to a cup of mushy veggies, then no more than 1/2 c of grains if I want them.

i doubt i can question his credibility, since he is one who goes around the country teaching others how to do this surgery, etc... Hes a master something or other for the allergan company (i forget the title). He's supposed to be one of the best in the country with tens of thousands under his belt, no deaths, no sentinal events at all associated with his care.

i think i may go against his orders though and add a snack to the mix or something.. but im thinking muscle since i have lost so many inches. ive lost 10 inches in just my bust, waist and hips alone, which is phenominal. 14 inches total gone.

Losing Inches is awesome! I've always said, I don't care what I weigh as long as I can fit into a size 10! I wouldn't look at the scale, honestly....inches are what count. I've always seen people advise that.....ignore the scale for now, how do your clothes fit, are you feeling better....that is what is imporant. I would see about more calories though, that just seems like you are starving your poor body and how is it going to heal without nutrition? That would concern me....300 calories is nothing...I get that in my Protein shakes alone.

I refuse to "stop eating" and go to just shakes or an unrealistic life-changing diet. If we do that, it's just crash dieting and we are bound to gain it all back when we start eating food again.

I prefer a healthly diet in realistic caloric ranges (1200-1500) because I know it is a change I can stick to for life. True, I might not lose 10 pounds in a month, but at least the weight is coming off in a healthy way and I'm more likely to keep it off.

yeah i hear ya......my poingt all along is there is no way to get that many calories in 1 1/2 cups of food a day..... lol

I refuse to "stop eating" and go to just shakes or an unrealistic life-changing diet. If we do that, it's just crash dieting and we are bound to gain it all back when we start eating food again.

I prefer a healthly diet in realistic caloric ranges (1200-1500) because I know it is a change I can stick to for life. True, I might not lose 10 pounds in a month, but at least the weight is coming off in a healthy way and I'm more likely to keep it off.

It sounds like your body is in starvation mode. When I was first banded I was on an excelerated schedule to get back to regular foods too. pudding is not proper nutrition. I have to have minimum 70g of Protein a day. Your body needs a certain amount of certain foods to function. I was eating scrambled eggs and pureed fish, meat, Beans to get Protein. I hate the powders and shakes personally.

I am surprised that you were cleared for that strenuous of exercise so soon. I had to wait weeks before getting in a pool. I was told to go slow regardless.

True....I have to add Snacks so I actually eat about 5-6 times most days in small amounts totalling about 1200 calories. Before I used to eat 2 much larger meals which was obviously terrible on the metabolism :(. But hey, I'm no expert. If I was I'd have been skinny a long time ago. LOL

yeah i hear ya......my poingt all along is there is no way to get that many calories in 1 1/2 cups of food a day..... lol

yeah, i was cleared. i was walking an hour the day after surgery.....i was cleared to go to the pool after 6 days. Hes heavy into exercise and feels that most drs are too easy on their patients. we got fat by being lazy in his eyes i think and we wont do well if we remain so. i think thats the way he thinks anyway

i cant get that much Protein in 1.5c food a day....45 at the most...

It sounds like your body is in starvation mode. When I was first banded I was on an excelerated schedule to get back to regular foods too. pudding is not proper nutrition. I have to have minimum 70g of Protein a day. Your body needs a certain amount of certain foods to function. I was eating scrambled eggs and pureed fish, meat, Beans to get protein. I hate the powders and shakes personally.

I am surprised that you were cleared for that strenuous of exercise so soon. I had to wait weeks before getting in a pool. I was told to go slow regardless.