Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally told my family today

So the only peope that new about my surgery last week was my husband and a couple of girls at work. So I told my mom and sister today and then told my step mom (who is suppose to tell my dad for me cause he kinda of hard of hearing).

They all took it very well. They asked alot of questions and then said that they were proud of me that I did it and said they couldnt wait to see me skinny. I was kinda surpised by their reaction. I thought I would get a little bit more of why did you want to do this and you could do it on your own and other things. But they were very kind and supportive. My step mom actually wanted to me to talk to her daughter about it and see if i could talk her into it as well.

So now I just have to lose the weight and make everyone proud of me :D

BTW. Seven days post op and still have no hunger

Hi Hope, I'm glad it went so well. I needed my family's support financially to help pay a few bills early on so I told them pretty early. I was amazed at how well they took it too. But I know they love me and just want me tone happy. The only person who hasn't been supportive is one of my coworkers. She is big too and seems to think this is the easy way out, like I'm cheating by doing it this way. The good thing is she is really working at trying to lose weight too and I am really happy she's doing well at it.

That must be a relief! I wish I could tell my fmily I am just not at that point yet. I was thinking geeze ii=t's only 33 days before my surgery and only my best friend knows and she doesn't ask any questions about it.

I think it's great that you have such a wonderful support in place!

Congrats to you on your surgery and courage to tell. It's a big step and I know you are pleased with their reactions. Glad to hear your doing well after your surgery. Stay positive and keep reading these boards...I still find them very motivating and somehow I am more accountable when I'm active on the board :) Best of luck to you...you'll be skinny before you know it!

Yay for a supportive family! That's great for you :)

I still haven't told anyone but my husband and father (who lives far away). My mom is coming to visit in just about 3 weeks and I'm over 70lbs lighter than when she last saw me in October. I haven't even told her that I'm losing. I'm not sure if I'll tell her or not but I might.

Congrats!!!

I had a really hard time telling anyone, I felt embarassed because i felt like i needed that much assistance with my weight that i had to go to a doctor. but im starting to feel indifferent to the whole thing now, i mea its my life and i did what was best for me and my family.

cdaffa206bb0eac_black.gif

My whole process started last April and it took until I got my insurance approval in December to tell anyone! The only people that knew what I was up to were the circle of doctors that were involved. It was really difficult for me in my own mind. It's what my health pyschologist and I talked about FOREVER. But I know my family and I know they would have questions, questions, questions. So I wanted to have all the info and the approval before sitting them down and telling them.

I must admit that I did enjoy having my own secret for all those months. There was no pressure in case I failed. When I did tell my family, I guess I was expecting a bigger response. I think I would I have gotten more of a reaction if I told them I had a dentist appointment next Tuesday. But that was a blessing. No push back. Questions. And a "let us know when you are going in."

My circle of friends were supportive, happy and excited for me. And since surgery, my parents have been more supportive than I ever thought they would be. As a move away from my surgery date, I find that I am more willing to discuss openly. I am not ashamed or embarassed but it is a private decision but I am not afraid to "come clean" and share my experience with those who want to know.

The one person I have haven't told is my close friend who lives in California. I just can't bring myself to give her the info over the phone. But I am getting closer to that time.

I have been pretty quite about it just some close friends and my husband and son. But my 4 year old Granddaughter knows about it and tells everyone, people she sees while we are out to eat and at the store. She asks me crazy questions about it all the time like she asks me when will I take it out and she will ask me when she see me eating something she says,“Grandma is that healthy for your band.” She loves to talk about it and I just think it is funny.

Cheri