Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it all worth it to you??

Absolutely! I was tired of being the "fat lady" in the choir. I now have church people don't remember me fat. I guess the biggest complement I've gotten was from a lady new to my church who thought I was my daughter-in-laws mother because we are both tall and thin. She is 4'10". I am only 5'3", so tall for her. But my d-i-l is 5'8". My own daughter is only 4'10", but my son is 285 and 5'10". Good luck on whatever you decide. This was my best choice, and my son has started the process to be banded, hopefully, this summer.

Thank you so much! What an encouragment. I don't participate at church as much as i want because of my size. I actually stopped singing as well, because i didn't want to be up front . thank you for this!

It's beeen very worth it to me. I'm only down 25 pounds with a long way to go, and each day is it's own struggle, but it's worth the struggle for better health.

I am 16 months out...100 lbs down, was 260 now 160....was 22/24 and 2x/3x now 8/10 and medium, size 10 shoe now a 9...was a diabetic, no longer...was not having cycles, now regular...clean bill of health except for a little bit of high cholesterol thanks to my heriditary. 4 lbs from normal bmi NOT morbidly obese. Barely able to finish 15 minutes on a treadmill, now running 5k, 10k and 10 milers.

Sure I have my moments (mostly in my head) where I wish I could eat a bunch of food or even order my own (such a waste now, I usually eat off of my husband's) Sure I also have physical moments (stuck, unpleasantly full from a bite or 2) but they are worth it all...the bigger picture is clearer to me now....future kids (I'm 34 and the LB was a motivator for me for kids), and if I don't have them, I have my health (something that was always a nag in my head and heart and a bad taste in my dr's mouth(blah blah blah, you're fat, you're this) Personally I think he thinks I'm hot now(though I was pretty on point at 260:)

So there's my story....the lapband is your own choice..I chose it and it works for me!

I have had the band for a little over a month. I find that i can eat smaller amounts and I'm not hungry. I have lost about 20 lbs since surgery. I have eaten big bites and have felt like a piece of food is stuck. That hurts but only for a few minutes. It is my own fault. The times I have done this, I was eating with my kids and not paying attention.

I feel better. I can exercise longer. I have more energy. I did this to prevent health problems I was on the verge of---I have sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and was on the road to type 2 diabetes. I don't want to die young because of my obesity. I have two children that I want to live for...they are 2 and 6 years old.

Do what your gut tells you to do. The one thing I will say is that my dad, aunt, uncle and a good friend who all had gastric by-passes. They all lost a considerable amount of weight in the beginning but started to gain the weight back. I don't think that you learn to change your behaviors and then you figure out how to stretch out your stomach back out with the bypass. At least with these ones, that is what happened. With the band, you have to change some of your behaviors right off the bat to be successful.

Good luck!

I got the band when I realized I was planning for a retirement that I knew I would never get to enjoy. I've only lost 36 lbs so far but I feel so much better. Today I fit into size 16 pants down for 24 at my biggest, I don't even remember the last time I wore this size.

NO REGRETS.... I read negative things too before getting the band and I remember feeling just like you..I was at the point of being so stressed out and scared but I decided it was truly my last resort! I had some rough times especially at first...had a really bad week after surgery, I did lose weight but I couldnt even drink at first, I didnt even feel like I had the band for the first several months and went through bandster hell for a while but I just took it day by day and followed the rules ( with some slip ups) and stuck with exercising. It all finally just came together. iv lost 65 lbs in 8 months and feel soooooo much better...all the good that comes from this out ways the bad that COULD happen. I refused to make the decision based off what negative thing MIGHT happen...and Im so glad I thought that way. I still get scared that somethign will happen to my band..I was self pay and I wil be on my own if anything does ever happen but like one poster said..just follow the rules and take care of yourself and your band! Good luck!!

Thank you all so very much. I know i am making the right decision. And you all are really an inspiration. I hope to be where you are one day soon. I know that it will take a lot of hard work on my part, and a lot of changes. And i am sooo ready for this :)

100% worth it..... I see my doctors every month, go to monthly meetings which have the nutritionist and psychologist (free, part of the doctors team) if I have any questions it's a great forum..... I consider the band a partner, to be successful I need to do be mindful of what I'm eating, do my exercising, and chewing everything so that my band will allow me to be successful. For me, I truly believe it's has saved my life.

I am about 20 months out....

I wouldn't trade ONE day, not ONE.....

I am down almost 200 pounds, I am having a Tummy Tuck, boob lift, arm lift on June 17th.

I had ONE problem since getting the surgery, and that was getting a fill, and then two weeks later, it got tighter yet (which does happen, sometimes an overfill isn't realized for a few weeks) and I have .5cc taken out, and it's been smooth sailing since.

PB = Productive Burp

Stuck = Happens before Productive burp

Stuck is essentially when you haven't chewed your food well enough, or the texture is wrong (read: dry meats, doughy bread, etc) and instead of sitting in your pouch, it gets stuck where your band is around your stomach. The first time it happened to me, I told my mom it felt like I had swallowed a shoe. Generally, there is some pain, and your esophagus/top of stomach will contract to try to make that food move. Your saliva in the back of your mouth will change in consistency to normal "spit" to a thick slimy substance, to try to help lubricate what's stuck in your band.

After some time, people will either PB (productive burp) and call it PB/Slime....... meaning a bucketload of slime came up with it, or it will go down.

I had a secondary procedure done with the Lap--Band®, called fundoplication, and some people who have fundoplication cannot vomit or PB. I am one of those. I cannot vomit at all. I've had stomach flu twice since getting the band (I have kids...... it happens) and I can hear my stomach contents trying to come up...... it doesn't happen. Generally, it takes the express route the other way.

In addition to PB...... I actually get what I call "warnings" where I will get some slime in the back of my throat, and a tight feeling by my band. I know right then if I STOP and WAIT, that in a few minutes, I can start eating again, without incident. I've learned to listen to my body very closely!

Mostly..... for me..... the band helps keep me eating CONSCIOUSLY. I pay attention to every bite, I make sure I chew, chew, chew and chew some more! No more mindless eating for me!

:D

Thank you! I was wondering if PB's are like forcing yourself to throw up? I don't like throwing up, depending on how much it hurts, i might rather wait it out till it passes, instead of throwing up :(

A thousand times YES, it was worth it! I did a 5K three months after surgery. Ask me when was the last time I did that??? I can move so much better, my joints almost never hurt (used to hurt daily), I'm in smaller clothes, I can tie my shoes and paint my toenails without discomfort, and I'm a cheaper date! I am looking so forward to being at my goal weight, but I already feel so much healthier.

I have never PB'd so can't help you with your question, other than to say that not everybody does. I have felt uncomfortable pressure from taking a too big bite or not chewing enough, and you learn when you get that feeling, to SLOW down or stop eating altogether.

It is scary to do something so life-changing, and I think you are doing the right thing by getting as much information as you can.

Thats good to hear! I cannot wait to be able to paint my toenails or just be able to do normal regular every day stuff that i haven't been able to do in forever. Thanks for sharing. It was soooo encouraging!!! Congrats on your weight loss!