Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. My name is Doreen, I will be having my Lap Band Surgery on May 4, 2011. I have a Great support system but I'm sure I will need to talk to others who have gone through or are going through what I'm going through. I have a wonderful cousin that has had the LB for 2 years now and it's nice to talk to her but she lives 2 hers away. She has worked very hard and went from 360 lbs to 147 lbs and this is what hard work does, I know that you have to be committed to this and I'm so ready to do my part. I'm 54 and weigh 229 and am considered morbidly obese. I look forward to making friends here and wish EVERYONE much success!

Sincerely, Doreen

hi Doreen, My surgery is also on May 4th. I weigh much, much more than 229 though and if I ever see that number pop up on my scale, i will jump for joy! I am kinda wavering between uncertainty and certainty, afraid and not afraid, so that is what I am currently struggling with. I hope i can decide for sure before the 4th!

are you required to do the 2 weeks of liquids before the surgery? I am and I start that on the 20th of April. at this particular moment I am going through some last moment panic and trying to think of all the things I won't be able to eat post banding...and i am eating those things! NOT the best choice, but like i said, it's panic.

at any rate, i wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Hello everyone. My name is Doreen, I will be having my Lap Band Surgery on May 4, 2011. I have a Great support system but I'm sure I will need to talk to others who have gone through or are going through what I'm going through. I have a wonderful cousin that has had the LB for 2 years now and it's nice to talk to her but she lives 2 hers away. She has worked very hard and went from 360 lbs to 147 lbs and this is what hard work does, I know that you have to be committed to this and I'm so ready to do my part. I'm 54 and weigh 229 and am considered morbidly obese. I look forward to making friends here and wish EVERYONE much success!

Sincerely, Doreen

hi doreen since u know yr surgery date wondered if u can help me im 30 and single mum of 4 ive been on diets, pills u name it for 9year and wen i was losin the weight i ended up pregnant but now i cant have more kids i cant lose the weight ive been t doctors ive attended senimar and wen i rang to see if anything was happening my doctors recepionist said she can tell me i been banded but i had t sit n wait on a letter i agree with the committed thing i no this is not the solution but i know it wud truely help and that it will make me healthier and then i wud be able t make my kids happier ive tryed so hard on my own im just getting restless now x so can u tell me how long u waited for t see consultant then getting yr date

Hi Kelly-Ann, yes, it depends on your insurance and what they require. Most require you to attend the seminar and some require you to do 6 month ( once a month) dietairy class sessions. Mine did not. Then you meet with your surgeon after that and your tests they have to send a letter of nessissity to the Insurance co for approval of the surgery and that could take a few days to a month or two it depends on how fast your Insurance co responds, I had my approval in 1 week! And it depends on your surgeon. I met my Surgeon on Feb. 28 for my consult she agreed I needed the surgery. Then she had tests set up for an upper G.I. you HAVE to hace a Psychology Consultation ( 1 visit ) unless they feel you need more which is highly unlikely and you have to meet with the Dietitian twice. My Surgeon's office set it all up in one day to get it over with. After my upper G.I. I had to meet with her again because I have a floating hiatial hernia and she wanted to discuss what would happen during surgery. The Surgeon has to have these test results befoer they can set a date. At this time ( April 1st we picked a date for my surgery) I could have had it done today or next Wednesday but I have a wedding to go to on April 30th and I'm doing a reading for the couple at the church so I couldn't miss it.I have a wonderful surgeon!So in all it really took only a month. You can call your insurance co to see what they require for you to be approved. Keep in touch and let me know how you make out and GOOD LUCK !!

hi doreen since u know yr surgery date wondered if u can help me im 30 and single mum of 4 ive been on diets, pills u name it for 9year and wen i was losin the weight i ended up pregnant but now i cant have more kids i cant lose the weight ive been t doctors ive attended senimar and wen i rang to see if anything was happening my doctors recepionist said she can tell me i been banded but i had t sit n wait on a letter i agree with the committed thing i no this is not the solution but i know it wud truely help and that it will make me healthier and then i wud be able t make my kids happier ive tryed so hard on my own im just getting restless now x so can u tell me how long u waited for t see consultant then getting yr date

Hi, I too was worried about all the things I wouldn't be able to eat but realized that wasn't as important as my life!!!!! I was supposed to have mine last year no date was set I chickened out. I had a few dreams that didn't turn out too good. But I finally decided that if I didn't do something now, then the rest of my life wouldn't trun out too good for sure. My cousin weighed 360 lbs before her Lap Band surgery, with hard work she now 2 years later weighs 147 lbs and says it was the best decision of her life. I to had the same thoughts but then I think of all the things I can't do now and THAT makes all the differance in the world. Don't think of what you can't do rather then what you will be able to do. I hope you don't change your mind and if you don't we can be in this together. My goal is to go zip lining and rock wall climbing when I go on my cruise next January. Yes I do have to do the liquid diet the same day. The reason behind that is so the surgery will go smoother and to get some of the fat off around our liver and heart and to help in the healing process. Good Luck and stay in touch. I too am eating the things I like now but in moderation untill the liquid diet begins. Again GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

1. hi Doreen, My surgery is also on May 4th. I weigh much, much more than 229 though and if I ever see that number pop up on my scale, i will jump for joy! I am kinda wavering between uncertainty and certainty, afraid and not afraid, so that is what I am currently struggling with. I hope i can decide for sure before the 4th!

are you required to do the 2 weeks of liquids before the surgery? I am and I start that on the 20th of April. at this particular moment I am going through some last moment panic and trying to think of all the things I won't be able to eat post banding...and i am eating those things! NOT the best choice, but like i said, it's panic.

at any rate, i wish you the best of luck on your journey.