Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can understand that people are very terrified of anesthesia because they aren't in control of what happens to them. It's an odd feeling waking up and not remembering anything! Here was my experience:

I received some Versed in my IV in the pre op area (it has sedative and amnesic properties) to relax me. I was wheeled into the OR and asked to slide over on the table. By that time I was feeling pretty loopy and not completely aware of my surroundings. A mask was placed over my face and I was asked to breathe deeply (it was just oxygen) and a white medications called Propofol was put into my IV. This is commonly used to induce anesthesia so you won't be aware of being intubated. This does tend to burn especially if you have small veins like me but once you feel it, you will be asleep in seconds. The last thing I remember is telling the anesthesiologist about a cruise I just took in February (instead of asking you to count backwards they usually ask you to "pick a vacation spot" so you will have happy thoughts while you're going under) and bam! I was out and remembered nothing until I woke up in the PACU an hour later. Your vision might be blurry because they usually put some ointment in your eyes to keep them moist and protect them while you're asleep. This will go away in an hour or so.

You really should try your hardest to quit smoking. Not only does it prevent possible complications during and after surgery, it's better for your health overall. You don't want to get the Lap Band and lose all the weight but keep smoking right? Be the healthiest you can be! Good luck, and don't be scared!

the one time i was put under was for a colonscopy.. i remember being told (while the sedative was being placed in my IV) Imagine you're on a beach drinking margaritas. I remember looking up and that instant saying I feel drunk! lol next thing I know it's like a blink and I'm awake. One second unconscious and the next Bam! Conscious. Like I could continue my sentence. lol Just that tipsy feeling of drinking and that is all. It's all good. :lol:

I have been under MANY times and while people say you can't dream while under (even the nurses say this) I always come to right smack out of a crazy dream! Maybe I am just dreaming while in recovery....like I have come out of the anesthesia and now I have actually fallen asleep and have started to dream? I'm not sure but it always happens to me.

I also have epilepsy and I dream while I'm coming out of a seizure.

It's very much the same feeling to me, the coming out of a seizure and coming out of anesthesia.

I've been put under a few times, and the worst thing I can say about the whole thing was a slight buring feeling in my hand (IV site), and that only happened once .

I'm being banded in May. I have never had to be put under, and I am *SO* scared of that! If any of you would calm my fears of this, I'd LOVE that. I'm a smoker of about 1 1/2 packs a day too..I'm trying to quit before the surgery but it's really really hard. Help me to not be so scared of going under please..Also, did any of you dream or anything while you were out?

``Samantha

The last thing I remember is my doctor saying "you aren't going to remember anything after this moment". Next thing I knew I was in recovery and they were telling me to wake up.

I didn't even feel going to sleep on this one, but when I had a c-section I remember a numbness coming over me for about 10 seconds and I was out.

You will do great! Good luck!

Hi Miss Sammy,

I'm also getting banded this month (the 24th!) I've been put under between 20-25 times, and remember approximately 15-20 times. I also have asthma (not sure if it's similar with smokers, but I'm guessing maybe?) Anyways...just be completely honest about your smoking so they can be prepared for it! Basically this allows them to guess what MAY happen so they can prevent it from becoming serious. For me they will have a nebulizer and oxygen ready for me and have to coach my breathing when I wake up sometimes. They will keep a pulse ox on you to measure your oxygen levels and will not allow it to go below a certain amount (if it does, they will give oxygen!). I've never woke up and remembered any form of dreaming. A lot of them will talk to you while they're putting you under and you'll stop midsentence when it really kicks in. It's actually a relaxing feeling and not painful at all. I've had 17 surgeries between 2007 and december 2010 so YES I do understand and I do have breathing issues that have to be addressed. It's not the same for everyone, but my mom has had several surgeries as well and we've both had the same experiences. Don't be afraid to tell them that you are in a lot of pain as they will give you more pain medicine. Be completely honest about your history, smoking and the amount of pain you have so they can help you. I hope you're able to quit smoking soon! Good luck

I'm being banded in May. I have never had to be put under, and I am *SO* scared of that! If any of you would calm my fears of this, I'd LOVE that. I'm a smoker of about 1 1/2 packs a day too..I'm trying to quit before the surgery but it's really really hard. Help me to not be so scared of going under please..Also, did any of you dream or anything while you were out?

``Samantha

I had never had anesthesia prior to my banding, I was sedated for my upper endo. But for anesthesia it was my first. I'm an LVT so I've done anesthesia on hundreds of animals, so I was very aware of the risks. Though I do know though it has risks it's also safe. It's very rare we have a anesthetic death at my job. I was a littlenervous but so excited to start my new life. As for my experience I was given (I assume) versed to relax me before they injected (again I assume) proposal and next thing I knew I was waking up. Though I was in a great deal of pain when I woke up the nurse was right there to give me pain meds I think they said it was fentanyl and I fell back asleep. I woke up again and was still painful so they gave me more and I again fell asleep. The next time I woke I felt a lot better and after I proved I could stay awake I was wheeled downstairs until I was ready to leave.

So you'll be fine

This was my 6th or 7th time under general anesthesia. I recall the anesthesiologist telling me I'd feel funny soon...saw him start to push the IV meds in and about 3 seconds later while the mask was on my face (they also have you inhale some oxygen and goofy gas) I said "yeah that's the good stuff." They all laughed, I breathed deeply a few more times, then woke up in recovery.

I also work in the operating room on occasion, and plese be assured they are well prepared for emergencies. You are hooke dup to a heart monitor, an oxygen sensor, an IV, plenty of meds to correct issues like blood pressure dips/peaks, there's a code cart (an extreme situation that requires the paddles etc). If anything bad were to happen, the OR is one of the best equipped places to be for help. ;)

``Samantha

I have to agree with a lot of the posts here. I have been put under twice and it's not nearly as bad as you think. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I was really nervous and cried before surgery. But, they inject the Fluid and you are OUT within seconds. After that surgery, I woke up and was really loopy. I was saying all kinds of crazy stuff, but that was also because my whole face was numb and I was so confused by that I started laughing and then I would start crying. At the time, not so funny, but now it's pretty hilarious to think about. I basically went home and slept it off. However, I did get very sick and threw up for 24 hours between sleeping.

My second time being put under was just three months ago for orthopedic surgery. I was on the operating table and a few seconds later I was out like a light. I woke up in recovery and they were asking me about my pain. Then, I fell back to sleep and woke up in my room. I was still a little loopy after that surgery and remember singing the subway $5 foot long song and saying "okaly dokaly" a lot! haha. :lol: They gave me a pepcid before that surgery, so no nausea afterward - thank God! It really isn't nearly as bad as you think. It's like a great nap. Good luck with your surgery and don't worry at all! I'm looking forward to my great nap for my surgery!!

Haha, I kind of look at it the same...I don't want ppl to think I'm a junkie but the feeling is kind of fun! (after as many surgeries as I've had, you have to find a bright side to it....) so I always try to fight going to sleep and it makes me giggly. Also for nausea they have a great shot for that they can put in the IV that works wonders! So if you're nauseous, ask for something for it. I've still never gotten physically sick from surgeries, whenever I got nauseous they'd give me a shot and it would go away. :)

I have to agree with a lot of the posts here. I have been put under twice and it's not nearly as bad as you think. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I was really nervous and cried before surgery. But, they inject the Fluid and you are OUT within seconds. After that surgery, I woke up and was really loopy. I was saying all kinds of crazy stuff, but that was also because my whole face was numb and I was so confused by that I started laughing and then I would start crying. At the time, not so funny, but now it's pretty hilarious to think about. I basically went home and slept it off. However, I did get very sick and threw up for 24 hours between sleeping.

My second time being put under was just three months ago for orthopedic surgery. I was on the operating table and a few seconds later I was out like a light. I woke up in recovery and they were asking me about my pain. Then, I fell back to sleep and woke up in my room. I was still a little loopy after that surgery and remember singing the subway $5 foot long song and saying "okaly dokaly" a lot! haha. :lol: They gave me a pepcid before that surgery, so no nausea afterward - thank God! It really isn't nearly as bad as you think. It's like a great nap. Good luck with your surgery and don't worry at all! I'm looking forward to my great nap for my surgery!!

Haha, I kind of look at it the same...I don't want ppl to think I'm a junkie but the feeling is kind of fun! (after as many surgeries as I've had, you have to find a bright side to it....) so I always try to fight going to sleep and it makes me giggly. Also for nausea they have a great shot for that they can put in the IV that works wonders! So if you're nauseous, ask for something for it. I've still never gotten physically sick from surgeries, whenever I got nauseous they'd give me a shot and it would go away. :)

Thanks for the tip! I will mention that when I go in for surgery! I definitely agree.. it is fun. What a great nap!! :D

I used the electronic cigerette (cigotine) to quit smoking. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day for 15 years. I bought the cig and still smoked a regular cigerette once or twice a day for the 1st few days of use then continued to just use the electronic cigerette for 3 weeks. They sell cartridges with different millagrams of nicotine so you can wheen yourself off it. It really helped me quit and I would recommend it to anyone trying to quit. I havent had my surgery yet but have been under anestheasia twice. Nothing to be affraid of, you just get sleepy and fall asleep just like you would when you go to bed at night.

Hope this helps a little :rolleyes:

I used an electronic cigarette too!!!! I've been smoke free for almost 2 years!! I smoked for 14 yrs previous to that. Those things are wonderful, even though they're not marketed as a smoking cessation, I would say they absolutely work wonders.

OP, I would give it a try if I were you. I was a smoker during 3 previous surgeries and it's a bear waking up after having that breathing tube down your throat. You feel like you need to cough up your lungs. I'm not saying that to scare you, but there is a difference going under as a smoker and a non-smoker. I felt much better (lung-wise [i made up my own word]) after the lap-band and being smoke free.