Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had a pretty bad stuck episode and now have question?

Last night I had a rough stuck episode. I got stuck on steak. I chewed the heck out of it, but think I ate to fast and WHAM stuck big time. I dont scare easily, but it hurt so bad it scared me. Anyway I got it moving within 1/2 hour by moving in different positions.

I am just on liquids and soft food, like yogurt today.

My question is I fell like I have had an unsettled stomach since than, is this normal or do you think I could have slipped my band?

Thanks for any advice

I get alot of things stuck. i was stuck for over 2.5 hrs and was about to call the dr when I got it to come out. after getting stuck real bad my belly will hurt for up to 2 days. i only had one fill and that was back in feb with 1.5 cc's and i wont get another because I get everything stuck !! i have to learn to chew and eat slowly first....hard lesson for me. but yes i hurt after a stuck episode...

Amy

Last night I had a rough stuck episode. I got stuck on steak. I chewed the heck out of it, but think I ate to fast and WHAM stuck big time. I dont scare easily, but it hurt so bad it scared me. Anyway I got it moving within 1/2 hour by moving in different positions.

I am just on liquids and soft food, like yogurt today.

My question is I fell like I have had an unsettled stomach since than, is this normal or do you think I could have slipped my band?

Thanks for any advice

After I have had a bad stuck episode I take Tums or an acid reducer each day for a few days.

I doubt you slipped your band. Glad you are having liquids and soft foods today.

Joan

I dont think you slipped your band I think your stomach is just irritated from the episode...Just do liquids for 2-3 days and the swelling should go away...

Thanks everyone. I did go get some tums and was on liquids and super soft foods today and will do the same tomorrow. I had upset stomach until this afternoon!

Your advice is super appreciatef

Thanks everyone. I did go get some tums and was on liquids and super soft foods today and will do the same tomorrow. I had upset stomach until this afternoon!

Your advice is super appreciatef

My first episode with being stuck on steak lasted 3 days. I was miserable! I almost ended up going to see the Doc but I finally got it down using pineapple juice.

Zeniada is right on the money. A few days of liquids then progression to mushies, then back to normal food, will make the swelling go down. Sounds like you may be another that steak is a absolute no, no!

My heartbreaker is no bread. :( I make an attempt periodically and it is usualy not successful.

I find drinking a cup of hot black tea helps a lot when my stomach gets irritated by something I shouldn't have eaten. I suspect the tannic acid as well as the warmth are soothing; the oral surgeons I used to work for had people use warm tea bags to sooth pain from extractions.

My heartbreaker is no bread. :( I make an attempt periodically and it is usualy not successful.

I find drinking a cup of hot black tea helps a lot when my stomach gets irritated by something I shouldn't have eaten. I suspect the tannic acid as well as the warmth are soothing; the oral surgeons I used to work for had people use warm tea bags to sooth pain from extractions.

Llyra, Do you toast your bread? It makes a huge difference. I will toast wheat bread then slice it across the center to make 2 very thin slices of bread for a sandwich using a large knife of course. I then chew very well and eat small pieces and I do fine. Interesting thing is that I cannot handle non toasted bread nor hamburger/hotdog Buns, thus, it seems that the doughier the bread is, the harder it is to get through the stoma. Try toasting the bread, if you haven't already tried. jake

I'm just a newbie being only banded for 8 days but aren't you supposed to stay away from steak and bread because of the risk of getting stuck?

It depends on your level of restriction. I don't know about steak as I am not a red meat fan, but I eat bread almost everyday with no problems at all.

Everyone tolerates different foods. I have eaten steak one other time since bring banded no problem. But last fill gave me more restriction so Im guessing I cant anymore. I cant eat bread at all since banding

re: "aren't you supposed to stay away from steak and bread because of the risk of getting stuck? "

Yes.

For a period as defined by your Doc's orders, and your ability to tolerate such.

Even with careful chewing, I was unable to eat burger meat, let alone steak, for nearly a year postOp. I relied on a small blender to chop it up completely, with a little touch of something such as NF mayo or other. I ate far more tuna for a year postOp than steak. And dry chicken still doesn't work well for me.

The bread issue, thankfully, has resolved. PreOp I'd get specialty bread, inhaling 1 loaf on the way home from the bakery. Not too smart in any case. I was a bread-o-holic. Now I don't care for it very often. Toasted and thin works better for me too. I don't do such as Buns, English muffins, and a wide variety of biscuits that used to comprise a large portion of my daily eating.

After about 2 years, I actually could eat part of a piece of pizza, thin crust. And that isn't all that good any more either. Pasta I can tolerate about once every few months, but no longer live for that huge plate of the stuff. A few bites is plenty.

It's a delight to find how satisfying 'eating to live' can be, instead of my old 'live to eat' life style.

re: "aren't you supposed to stay away from steak and bread because of the risk of getting stuck? "

Yes.

For a period as defined by your Doc's orders, and your ability to tolerate such.

Even with careful chewing, I was unable to eat burger meat, let alone steak, for nearly a year postOp. I relied on a small blender to chop it up completely, with a little touch of something such as NF mayo or other. I ate far more tuna for a year postOp than steak. And dry chicken still doesn't work well for me.

The bread issue, thankfully, has resolved. PreOp I'd get specialty bread, inhaling 1 loaf on the way home from the bakery. Not too smart in any case. I was a bread-o-holic. Now I don't care for it very often. Toasted and thin works better for me too. I don't do such as Buns, English muffins, and a wide variety of biscuits that used to comprise a large portion of my daily eating.

After about 2 years, I actually could eat part of a piece of pizza, thin crust. And that isn't all that good any more either. Pasta I can tolerate about once every few months, but no longer live for that huge plate of the stuff. A few bites is plenty.

It's a delight to find how satisfying 'eating to live' can be, instead of my old 'live to eat' life style.

Yikes....I'm a prebander and live on this site for all kinds of insight into what my life is going to be like....seriously, this freaks me a little. I do not want to have to live on mushed tuna and chicken, mashed potatoes and yogurt. I am totally willing to do small bites and chew till I turn purple but I love meats and that is a good Protein, right? I'm a little concerned now. I can give up bread, no problem, but the thought of giving up a good steak once in awhile (even if it is just a few bites) makes me a little sad. I'm just concerned of what I'm going to be able to eat now....when I get to that point of real food again.

Your journey may be a bit different than my own. I eat steak several times a week now. In fact last week went out to a nice restaurant and GOT a marvelous steak!!! OK, I brought most of it home and ate 2 more meals off of it....still, quite enjoyable. Buttermilk soaked for 3 days and then grilled medium rare. With a special Yukon Gold-garlic-butter mashed potato, and a wonderful Australian-styled salad, so they claimed. But regarding what the Band leads one to eating in the early post-mushy phase, I think is quite individualistic. I couldn't eat regular salad either for over 6 months.

Hey Slm2007.. I was banded in Nov.. and I eat steak about once a wk... You really do have to be careful with size of the bite and still chew, chew, chew... Grilled chicken does me in... If I do the grilling and don't overcook it...it's fine, but my hubby tends to overcook everything he puts on the grill. I made Chicken k-bobs last night and they were great... I rarely have to resort to canned tuna to get my Protein in. I do eat alot of 93% lean ground beef with spag. sauce over 1% cottage cheese...that's my favorite!! that and really lean BBQ..(pork loin in crock pot with vinegar based bbq sauce)..just a few bites is all it takes...but it sure does taste good. It's normal to be concerned, but everybody's band is different!! Good luck BamaMom~ Amy