Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I was banded March 24th and had a hiatial hernia fixed. I wanted to share and hear others stories because I didn't know what to expect (see what is "normal"?). I have four 1/2 inch holes and one 2 inch hole right in the middle and my port is right below it. I thought the port was supposed to be on the side and all the holes 1/2 inch. My port area is still quite swollen and sore, but I no longer say ouch when I turn over. I gained 6 pounds on surgery day - I assume from swelling. It took almost a week to loose that. I've lost 3 pounds since then. Since I'm hardly consuming any calories at this point, I thought I would loose weight faster. One shake a day, which I have to consume in two or three sittings, and Clear Liquids the first week. I'm in the second week and I get to add some Tomato Soup, and a few thicker liquids. I can only consume about 1/3 cup at a time, so I guess I am still pretty swollen. I'm getting hungry now, so I just have to consume something a little more often. I get to go to mushed food on Thursday for a week and then a week on soft whole food. Then I have my first doctor visit 4 weeks after surgery. I'm glad I did this, but I am still very nervous.

Hi Khaki,

I was banded on 3/29/11. I had a hernia removed/repaired too with the same amount of sutures. My port is to the left and my mid section is still swollen. I took measurements of my waist when I started the pre-op diet and my waist is 1 inch wider. I have lost 20lbs, so maybe I have more weight loss coming after the swelling goes away. I've actually been able to intake about 3/4 cups on the liquid diet in 3 or 4 small meals. I just went to mushy/puree food today and I could only handle 1/2 cup of food or 4 oz. I ate that at 1-1:30 and I'm just starting to feel hungry now. I have never chewed a meal that slow in my life, but I felt satisfied.

I had a bad dream last night dreading solid foods because I can not get sick. LOL. I took my time and it was fine...thank goodness.

I guess everyone's tolerance and capacity will be a little different, but one thing is for certain we are all taking in much less than before surgery.

Hi

I was banded on 15/03/2011. I was in a huge amount of pain post op for about 4 days then it eased. I maintained a liquid diet for the full 2 weeks and have moved on to mushy foods. I can eat just about anything without any problems and feel fine. In comparison to you guys, i've not lost any weight only 3lbs and I dont understand why.

I am now getting hungry, really hungry but am satisfied with smaller portions. However the frequency of them is accelerating. I have cheated today for the first time and had some chips and a bit of cake. Not a huge amount but enough to feel the pressure on the band and I don't feel good for it.

One question - Has anyone suffered from a permanent stitch upon walking? Its brought on instantly and is very uncomfortable.

I went to a restaurant a few days ago and was worried about what I could have. I chose the jacket potato and tuna mayo. I ate about half a portion. it went well, better then I thought.

Not told anyone about my band other then my boyfriend so having people to talk to about it is really nice xxx

I also have 3 incisions...4 are abotu half an inch and the biggest is near my port. That's pretty typical. They have to make the one near the port the biggest to secure the port to the abdominal muscles. The shorter ones are all from punctures for the laparoscopic tools.

Tough day here...hormones makign me want to binge. PMS sucks.

I am also a March 15th Bander as well. The gas pain was so bad I ended up in the Er 6 days post op. Well I am now into 3 weeks & can finally eat soft Protein only. I am so sick of Cottage cheese & tuna I could scream. Now I am so hungry that broth & Jello will not help. Any ideas on pre moisened meat? I cant have veggies for 3 more months or fruit until 75% weight loss.

Through my insurance they gave us a list of foods that work for soft moist meats. On that list is sliced deli meats, canned chicken and turkey in Water, egg substitutes and egg whites, canned turkey chili, canned Beans (mashed), bean Soup, baked fish, and smooth Peanut Butter. I hope that this list helps you to have some variety. I know that the limits are very trying! :)

Hey all! I am 5 days post op and is STARVING!! I go to my follow up appt. On Friday I hope he puts me on mushies. I need some substance!!

I am also a March 15th Bander as well. The gas pain was so bad I ended up in the Er 6 days post op. Well I am now into 3 weeks & can finally eat soft Protein only. I am so sick of Cottage cheese & tuna I could scream. Now I am so hungry that broth & Jello will not help. Any ideas on pre moisened meat? I cant have veggies for 3 more months or fruit until 75% weight loss.

I had corned beef today, which I thought was a great moist meat. I was online looking up receipes and stumbled across this meat. I was able to puree the corned beef with some potatoes.....duh corned been hash. I have been craving this meal since 3/17/11. My mom was so sweet to cook a brisket just for me. It was worth the wait. I quess I could have just purchased a can and added Water to puree. I measured the portions to 4oz. to avoid overeating. My doctor told me to puree whatever I wanted to eat from the 3-4 week menu and just add a little Water to liquify the food. I hope this helps you with meal ideas.

Hello All, I was banded on March 16th and also had a hiatal hernia repair. They gave me a good fill during my surgery at 6 cc's. I am a fairly active person. After surgery my surgeron had me on 7 days of clear liquids and then 2 weeks shakes...in that time I lost 12lbs and since I started on foods i gained 3lbs! I am so frustrated, Ive been to the gym for the past 4 days and did 45 minutes of cardio with an average heart rate of 145....why am I gaining weight. I have having coffee, EAS shake for Breakfast, 1 EAS shake for lunch, a greek yogart for snack and 3oz Protein and 3 oz veggies,,,along with the gym its consuming about 700 calories - how can I possibly gain weight. HELP...so frustrated...anyone have the same problem?

I was banded 3/31. I feel great other than the incisions on my stomach. My trouble is I can't get enough Protein in after drinking my ounce of Water every 30 minutes I'm full or can't get anything else down. I'm also very afraid of vomiting while newly stitched. Anyone else having these issues

i was banded 3/31 also on 4/2 i had to go back in cause no liquid was getting thru,it has only been the last 2 days where i have been able to keep liquid down.

hi i was banded on the 7 march 2011 i have a 7cc band with no fill as yet i was wondering if any1 is having a problem with portions im pretty much able to eat anything except bread with out problems i have a big problem with drinking small amounts of fluids im a gulper and small sips just dosent quench my first, can i do any damage by drinking lots im not sure, i have lost 8 kg since my op and due to induction of normal foods no weight loss this wk . im not eating no where near the amount i was eating before and a lot more healthier but i dont ever feel full i stop myself wen i think ive had enough an its very hard to tell if ive eatern too much ive not had no pain except from bread an have recovered very well im just a bit worried that im doing this all wrong i dont want to streatch my pouch or cause any damage to my band thanx for reading my post and any answers to my concerns would be very appreciated xx

hi i was banded on the 7 march 2011 i have a 7cc band with no fill as yet i was wondering if any1 is having a problem with portions im pretty much able to eat anything except bread with out problems i have a big problem with drinking small amounts of fluids im a gulper and small sips just dosent quench my first, can i do any damage by drinking lots im not sure, i have lost 8 kg since my op and due to induction of normal foods no weight loss this wk . im not eating no where near the amount i was eating before and a lot more healthier but i dont ever feel full i stop myself wen i think ive had enough an its very hard to tell if ive eatern too much ive not had no pain except from bread an have recovered very well im just a bit worried that im doing this all wrong i dont want to streatch my pouch or cause any damage to my band thanx for reading my post and any answers to my concerns would be very appreciated xx

Hi Doodle.1,

I know were not suppose to overfill our pouches to prevent stretching/slipping. I find it interesting that you are not feeling anything after eating or drinking. I feel pressure after I eat or drink a certain amount to let me know when to stop. I have been sipping my liquid, but I still feel pressure after a certain amount. I think if you drink more frequently you'll be less likely to gulp the Water. Make sure you talk to your doctor about the quantity you can handle.

I was banded Mar 29, I haven't even weighed my self since. I am so frustrated with the gas pain. it hurts so bad. I was not prepared for this. The surgery it self is not that painful its the darn gas they fill you with. I need this out of me so badly. any suggestions other than walking my feet off and gas x or mylanta????

Hi Doodle.1,

I know were not suppose to overfill our pouches to prevent stretching/slipping. I find it interesting that you are not feeling anything after eating or drinking. I feel pressure after I eat or drink a certain amount to let me know when to stop. I have been sipping my liquid, but I still feel pressure after a certain amount. I think if you drink more frequently you'll be less likely to gulp the Water. Make sure you talk to your doctor about the quantity you can handle.

wow I can't eat much either. only sips of drinks and maybe a few bites since March 29. i have to make myself drink. but my stomach hurts and is full of pressure under my breast when i try to eat something. my stomach is beginning to growl but I am too scared to eat much.

Hi everybody,

I was banded March 10. Everything went great for the first three weeks then one night I made a bad food choice. I ate a piece (yes...only a small piece) of pot pie WITH the crust and definitely paid for it. After two days of feeling nauseated, I decided to call the doctor when I started dry heaving. I guess I thought that if I was stuck it would eventually pass through but the nausea got so bad that I couldn't function. I went to the doctor, she took out the 3cc's that they had put in during the surgery. She said I should feel immediate relief but I still felt nauseated so she gave me a steroid shot to reduce swelling. She explained that my stomach was probably swollen and it was probably the crust that did me in. I had to be on liquids for a week and now I am progressing to mushy foods once again. I think I learned that I need change a lot of things about how/why I eat things I shouldn't. There is no way I want to go through that again so I've been trying to be careful. The scary part for me was that the doctor said this is not uncommon and it will probably happen again. Not if I can help it!

I was banded 03/15 and am eating small bits of chicken now and mushies. The problem is for the first 3 weeks I wasn't hungry and now my hunger is really picking up and out of the weight I have lost, I have gained two pounds back no matter that I am still eating very little. This sucks. Does it get better with the first fill? I miss that full feeling where I wasn't ever hungry. Any March bandsters have a first fill yet? Does it help. I am dying for a fill and wish I didn't have to wait the full six weeks.