Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Appointment was today!

I had an appointment today to see Dr. K for my pre-op exam. Surgery suddenly became very real!

I was weighed in, and found that my scale is 3 lbs off of the office one. Then Dr. K came in and we went over paperwork. I got my three prescriptions, and Dr. K went over instructions for when to stop drinking Water and eating the night before, asked me how the diet was going, checked blood pressure and listened to my heart and lungs, and pronounced me fit for surgery!

I told him that I had been reading posts and posting myself on this forum, and he was concerned that I was getting some misinformation. I let him know that he has an awesome reputation on LapBandTalk.com, and he was happy to hear that ;)

He also went over what would happen on the day of surgery, from the moment I got there until I went under. He said that my husband could give him our cell phone number, and Dr. K would call him from the operating room as soon as it was over, to let him know I was okay, which is great! Now my husband doesn't have to sit in a hard hospital chair all day, he can come home and try to relax a little before coming to get me in the afternoon.

Dr. K also explained that he would look to see if there was a hiatal hernia, he does on every surgery, and if there was one he would take care of it without additional cost. He also said that if the opening between the diaphram and the stomach was too large, he would fix that too, to prevent complications with the lap band later on. He told me where the incisions would be - 5 total; one near the breasbone to retract the liver, one on each side of my belly so he could work with his laprascope with both hands, one on the stomach to put the lapband in, which is the biggest one, and another one for the port.

He made sure I knew where the surgery center was, asked if I had concerns - I did have one. I know most people can fly within days, but I'm a local. I just found out there's a meeting I have to go to in California at the end of April, and it was stressing me out because I would be in the mushies phase. It would be very hard being in a hotel trying to order cottage cheese or mashed potatoes or soft cooked meat, and I didn't want to go. I don't want to have to do that until I could at least eat normal food. He just smiled and said to tell Natalie how long I wanted to be on a "no fly" order and she would type it up. So I don't have to fly until May 15th. Ha, take that, company meeting! I think it really made me feel better.

As for exercise, he said I just can't lift anything, but I could start on my treadmill as soon as I felt ready, so that was great news too. I figured that also counted heavy luggage for travelling, so it counts towards the reason I can give my company that I can't fly ;)

I asked Natalie to take my photo before I left, so now we have the "before" photo. My husband took some of me as well, side and front and full face and side face, plus we measured everything from biceps to calves, so I can see results.

I am ready for my new life! 5 days to go....

OOoooh! You know I'm interested in your pre-op as we have the same doctor. I was just going through all my information and getting it all sorted out in preparation of the trip/surgery. My pre-op is on your surgery day - I'm going to tell him that the person he fixed up earlier in the day was my friend ;) .

What were the three prescriptions he gave you (I want to look them up because I'm weird)?

Is the picture thing something they do normally?

I'm flying the very next day, lol. Two hour flight won't be too bad. Plus, I'll have my husband to do the lifting for me. And about the hiatal hernia thing - awesome!

OOoooh! You know I'm interested in your pre-op as we have the same doctor. I was just going through all my information and getting it all sorted out in preparation of the trip/surgery. My pre-op is on your surgery day - I'm going to tell him that the person he fixed up earlier in the day was my friend ;) .

What were the three prescriptions he gave you (I want to look them up because I'm weird)?

I'm flying the very next day, lol. Two hour flight won't be too bad. Plus, I'll have my husband to do the lifting for me. And about the hiatal hernia thing - awesome!

The three prescriptions are Loritab - for pain. Then Zofran ODT for nausea, and Keflex to make sure any infection gets wiped out before it gets started. You start the Keflex the day after surgery, 3x per day for 5 days.

He also wants us to use a product called Hibiclens for 2 days before the surgery - it's an antibacterial wash, the same stuff surgeons use when "scrubbing up" for surgery. It actually builds up an antibacterial layer on your skin, and he's never had anyone get infections in the incisions when he's had them use this. I bought the generic brand because the drugstore was out of the actual name brand.

You also need to use Dulcolax (he says suppository but says you can use whatever you feel best about) to empty the pipes before surgery - he said we do NOT want to have to strain during the first few days. I don't like the idea of that, so I bought the Dulcolax granules you dissolve in Water, I'll take that instead.

We can have nothing to eat 8 hours prior to surgery and nothing to drink, no gum or anything like that at all, 4 hours before surgery. Not even Water. My surgery is at 9am on the dot, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Spot, my friend, we are in GOOD hands :)

Oh I forgot, the picture! It says on your clipboard that they want to take a photo, but you don't have to. I actually reminded them because I want them to put it in my file and take one when I've lost a lot :D

Yay!!!!Congrats Woodlass!

I also had my pre-op today. Yes, it is very real, now. I'm ready. Less than a week left!

Congrats to you too!!

Spot, my friend, we are in GOOD hands :)

Good to hear! Thanks for giving me the skinny on what goes down at the pre-op!

laxatives, huh? Not something a person with urgency issues wants to hear, lol. However, with this pre-op diet we're doing, things have definitely stopped, um, moving so easily. So maybe the laxative thing won't be as bad as I'm thinking it might me. I might get some of that today (like you, NOT the butt kind, lol) and see how it all works out and such, lol. Sounds like I should probably pick up some yeast infection treatment since we're going to take antibiotics.

So the medications are all liquids?