Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating it all b4 surgery!

I started the process back in July of '10 and needed to complete the 6 month thing but my husband lost his job and insurance. I just recently started the process over. Fortunately, with my new insurance, I had to do my psych visit and they used the other visits from this summer. Round 2 has taken just over a month and I've received my approval and am scheduled for testing on March 28th and surgery on April 11. I am so excited and really didn't think it would be this easy! I am feeling a little anxious. Ok, a lot anxious! I feel like I need to eat everything! When I read others posts and research more and more, I feel a lot of anxiety. I have not had surgery before besides my tubal. I am thinking that it's my nerves and I am an emotional. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

hey,

I understand how you feel i just recently was able to get back on my parents insurance after new laws changed and my mom said i should get lap band while i have insurance and i was so against it at first because surgeries scare me. I have only had my gall bladder removed. I been back and forth emotionally this past couple weeks then i jus feel yuck all the time tired sore and i know cuz the weight and too young to feel this way and looking at before and after pics makes me feel better and excited new cuter clothes my first apt to see about getting lap band this thurs. Just think of it as a positive thing to do for you and cuter clothes lol. I hope this helps you and good luck!

I started the process back in July of '10 and needed to complete the 6 month thing but my husband lost his job and insurance. I just recently started the process over. Fortunately, with my new insurance, I had to do my psych visit and they used the other visits from this summer. Round 2 has taken just over a month and I've received my approval and am scheduled for testing on March 28th and surgery on April 11. I am so excited and really didn't think it would be this easy! I am feeling a little anxious. Ok, a lot anxious! I feel like I need to eat everything! When I read others posts and research more and more, I feel a lot of anxiety. I have not had surgery before besides my tubal. I am thinking that it's my nerves and I am an emotional. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I was thinking that I wanted to eat it all before surgery (4/21) but after wondering what it is that I wanted, I could come up with nothing! I guess because I know that everything in moderation. So, dont fret. that is just one more thing that you don't have to worry about. I think that Pasta is going to be the hardest thing for me, but I know that there is a day (not soon) that I'll be able to put it back in my menu! Good luck!

Dora

Ahhh last supper syndrome. Great thing about the band is that no foods are off limits really. If you want pizza, have a slice, or make your own flatbread pizza at home. A lot of people think that being banded means you're automatically done away with certain foods when really that is untrue. It all depends on the level of restriction you find best for you. I eat bread, rice, etc. while others cannot.

Congrats with getting everything scheduled so quickly. Some "food for thought" be careful about the last supper syndrome! I know it's tempting but any weight you gain is weight that's going to keep you that much further from your weight goal. Lapband or not, it's just that much more you're going to have to work to get off

Agree with previous posters. I don't have any food (knock on wood) that I can't eat now. Somethings I choose not to have everyday but can have small portions on special occations. Example, I don't keep bread, crackers, chips in my house; but at family dinners if there is fancy bakery bread or good crackers and cheese I can have some.

Another thing I do is go to costco every couple weeks and try the samples. Now that my relationship has changed with food there are some things that I don't even try because I'm not that interested. Once they were giving inch square pieces of their pepperoni pizza (which is soo good). Having that one inch piece was good enough. I did'nt need to buy a whole slice which is like 500 cal.

So much of the band is mental. Presurgery is the time to reevaluate your eating habits and start facing those demons now. A lot of people come on post banding and complain the band is'nt stopping them from eating unhealthy food. The truth is it won't. Some people get restriction from their fills within a month or two; it took me 6. Until you get restriction it will be a willpower diet. I would recommend starting now so that you are'nt trying to create a healthy eating attitidue while dealing with physical pain from surgery

I'm still in the early stages and I've totally let loose with my eating! Any craving I give in to because I know I won't be able to after surgery. I gave up iced tea/soda for Lent and that has helped me reel myself in a bit.

Silly me I am in "last supper" mode right now. We are having a nice dinner tonight (everyone is going to be home) and I start my pre-op diet on Thurs. I think it is something we all exhibit in some form or another. good luck

I just got banded TODAY!

I went thru a lot of anxiety, all the way up to them putitng me unde ron the surgery table (of "am I doing the right thing?') I know I did, but even now I'm scared. I ate some Tomato Soup, Jello, then tried some yogurt and my chest started to hurt...so I put it away for supper later. It just scares me to not know exactly what is going to happen, how much I can eat, etc. a fear of the unknown.

anyway I first saw my surgeon like 2 months ago (?) and had lost 7 pounds...so m y "start weight" was down. I was told to lose 10 pound sint he 7 days before surgery. so for about 4 weeks I was in last supper mode (bush)...fast food, pizza, all my favorites. Then i began the preop diet UP 5 pounds according to the nurse. That alone caused me more anxiety. Then for the past 3 days all I;ve wanted to do was treat myself the night before surgery to an entire order of Phad Thai noodes with beef...but I opted to treat myself to reasonable servings of chicken breast, rice, and asparagus instead. Soemday I'll have Thai again (my all time favorite food), but I know it'll be several weeks away and a very very small serving.

anyway, you are so not alone. I think this is very common. If you feel the need to bond with some foods before you begin a preop diet (if you have a preop diet) I say do it...but in moderation. Just within reason. :)

Thanks for all of your responses. Sometimes it's a great help just to know that you're not alone. I am going to continue to take things 1 day at a time. I really enjoy this site because there is really so much good information here! It is really helping me get through all of this...

Did your doctor give you a post op eating plan? I ask because I was on clear liquids(broth), and Protein Shakes (just milk no fruit) for 7 days. I did not move to full liquids until day 8, and yoghurt and pudding until day 15. I had no stomach/pouch pain post op. Based on my experiences and doctors orders I would stick to Clear Liquids with Protein shakes for now.

I am 2 weeks banded and I can say that will power still plays a huge role! I have very few foods where I fill a restriction, but I'm not up to eating everything yet! I had trouble eating for the first 4 days, but after the majority of the swelling went down, I had to count calories and watch what I ate in preparation for my first fill and my first "restriction".

In my pre and post op seminars, I have learned that losing is still a product of watching everything you eat and exercising. The band is a tool to help you feel full. It is much easier to get into the mindset of moderation before surgery because there are so many things that can go wrong with your healing and stretching of your pouch after surgery! My doctor says that everyone id different and some people can eat anything while some still have problems with breads and veggies. Good Luck with your weight loss!

I think all of the post op people went through the phases of the "last supper sydrome". A friend of mine at work kept saying that to me and at one point really upset me. What i kept telling myself was that i would have to modify my eating. it would not be the last time i ate a cheese burger but i may have to eat it differently. I began looking at my favorite foods and trying to find different ways to prepare them in a healthier way so i will be able to eat them too. If during my mushy food stage i wanted something the fam was eating. I usually just added some chicken broth and pureed it with my mixing wand. May not have looked as apetizing but tasted the same and i felt more comfortable sitting at the table with my family and enjoying dinner with them.

I even started planning my menu for my soft food stage and even my favorite Desserts too. So it is not the last time you will eat your favorite food. you will just have to modify it. Good Luck on you Journey!:D