Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 bmi looking for support.

Thinking of getting a band:

At 5'4 I've been 170-190 pounds since I have been 20. I am really uncomfortable with myself and worried about only getting bigger as the years go by, because I'm only 23!! I bought myself a $600 elliptical, and was able to get down to 176, but I feel stuck here, haven't lost in 6 months. My job is really laborious (CNA) and I thought it would help me loose weight. I think it only make it worse though, because I come home from work with a sore back, and exhausted with no energy to work out. I only manage to on my days off.

Since the FDA deems me obese according to my bmi, is there any chance down the line that insurance companies will start to lax and cover a lap band? I have Tricare, but only until June. Should I start preparing now? Go to my doctor, tell her I'm interested, she prob won't take seriously-- tell her I'm gonna work harder on my elliptical and intake and if It doesn't work, when insurance starts to cover, I want it.

I also need a co-mo. I'm not diagnosed with any, but might be able to find one. I do have soreness in knees back and feet, but not on days I don't work. My bp is pretty high for my age. 140/80ish. My grandma takes meds for hypertension and early onset dementia that is exacerbated by her high bp and obesity. I might have some form of GERD. After a decent size dinner I feel a lot more hungry than I did before I ate, I heard that it can be acid pain read as hunger by the brain.

I don't really know. I'm embarrassed to go to my doctor right now. Some support, or am I just crazy? Some people who use the lap band end up much healthier (bmi) than I, and I think it could help me loose 60 to get at my healthy weight.

Thanks!

Kneena,

I too am a low BMI (barely 30). I made the decision to do the lap band procedure for several reasons (my surgery is tomorrow March 9):

1) One of my co-workers who was also a low bmi (approximately 32) and had the lap band procedure. She looks amazing, not just skinny, but HEALTHY. Her only regret is not having done it sooner.

2) My own health issues. My health had declined rapidly over the last 12 months due to severe arthritis in my spine resulting in scoliosis and nerve pain. Yes, a year prior to my meeting with the WLS group, I was running 2 to 3 times a week and always in the gym. Now, walking can be a struggle at times. I rapidly gained weight over that twelve month period. 50 pounds to be exact. 140lbs to 190lbs.

3) I don't want to live my life in denial of food. I want to be able to share a beautiful gourmet meal with me husband (and yes, I do mean split the entree between the two of us) and not feel deprived or denied afterwards.

Kneena, I suppose I finally realized with out some form of intervention or assistance, I would spiral out of control. My husband agreed. Together, we made this decision for this WLS after much research, questions and interviews. Better to stop this problem now, then pay a much larger price later.

Steph

Hi Steph,

That sounds like good reasoning for getting the lap band, and I'm so excited for you! I assume that you have to pay out of pocket, since insurance companies are going to take their time lowering their bmi standard? I'm sure your doctor is supportive because of your scoliosis. I don't think I would be able to get my doctor to support me.

I am married too, and I know the only way my husband will be supportive is if the surgery is covered, since we are both young and need to save money.

Good luck with your journey!

Nina

We are paying out of pocket, but after all of the money I have spent on Nutrisystem, HCG diets, Diet pills, Weight Watchers, and Physical Trainers, in the long run, this is not that much more than all of those programs put together, but with added benefit of life long results.

Yes, the very few people who have I have told about the procedure are very shocked to say the least. "But you're not fat", "but you look healthy", "but why don't you just try this diet or a little more willpower"? (This coming from skinny and overweight friends)

Even with a low bmi, the simple things of just shaving my legs in the shower, painting my own toenails, putting on tights or pantyhose and lacing up my shoes is just ridiculous. I am just not comfortable in my own skin. And I wake up every morning thinking "What will I NOT eat today in order to try and lose some weight"?

My surgeon said that the FDA will be lowering the standards for LB surgery, and hopefully the insurance companies will follow suit. However, i could not wait that long. My insurance won't even begin to look at me as a candidate unless I was OVER a bmi of 40 with co-morbs. Plus a one year waiting period. That was not a possibility for me. I am fairly certain as I neared that point, I would have been disabled and mostly likely in a wheelchair. My neurosurgeon informed me that my back looks like that of a 60 year old woman (I am actually 39).

Best wishes in your decisions and your journey in finding the right path for you, but to finally answer your question, NO, you are not crazy for considering the lap band procedure.

kneena:

i totally hear you. i'm 5'4" 175 but very small boned, so it's a lot of weight on me. i have high cholesterol but it wasn't enough to get anthem to pay for it so i paid for it myself. had the surgery last week and it's only been 4 days. i've never had other surgeries, the past few days have been a little tough for me (people who have had c sections, for example said band surgery was a piece of cake!) but mainly because i've been home alone having to take care of myself. if you had someone to care for you, big difference i suspect. i decided to do it because i couldn't get rid of this 50lbs because of taking antidepressants and because everyone in my family has type 2 diabetes, so hopefully i can stave it off.

anyway, keep researching and thinking about it. go to the dr and get tests done to see how your blood sugar, cholesterol and bp are. your regular dr may try to talk you out of doing the surgery, so take it with a grain of salt and do your research. find a good lap band dr in your area and go talk to them. if your insurance won't cover it, you can finance it!

good luck.

Many people ask me if they should consider the band or not ( as they talk to my doc who gives them my info) and the question I always ask them is, is it better to wait until your fatter to get banded or get banded before you get to the point where insurance would cover you?

I was banded at a bmi of 33 but I wish i had gotten banded sooner. I knew my weight was going up and I should not have dragged my feet. Why wait till your bigger? That means your body changes more, stretches more and it means you have more to lose.

I paid out of pocket and never regretted it. I have had weight issues for years and all the money I put into Dr Berstein diet, weight watchers etc equals to half of what I paid for my surgery!

I had a BMI of 34. I don't regret the decision. Since I was paying out of pocket, I went to Mexico for the procedure. But prices here in the Dallas area are dropping fast too. If you are able to get proper support after the surgery or are close to Mexico, I would get it done there and save the money. But I had tried LA Weightloss, Jenny Craig, Medifast, and a hospital gym program. Overall I think you will save money in the long run. I have 15 lbs to go before my first goal of being smaller for my best friend's wedding. I'm a bridesmaid.

I am 5 foot 5 inches and 180lbs...so I appreciate your post. I am also going to be 38 this year and diet & exercise don't cut it anymore. Anti-depressants put weight on me too. I am paying out of pocket for single-incision lap band and I think this surgery will save me so much money. I am a huge fasion person and I have to buy a new pair of designer jeans every 10lbs. I have spent a fortune due to my many different sizes. Plus I am hoping to save on restaurant and food costs.

Wish there were more before and after photos of 30-35% BMI lapband patients. It's new for our weight group and a tough decision. I'm scared about going into such an extensive surgery and the pain afterword.

I'm actually excited about eating less and don't care about the diet requirements.