Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2006 January Chat

I'm just checking in from Auburn MA - not banded yet, but am going through the Brigham and Women's program (the UMass program just takes TOO LONG!).

Have already met with my surgeon, Dr. Ashley Vernon, and got to meet with the nutritionist at the same appt, so now am waiting for my psych appt on March 6th (am feeling really nervous about that, as i've never seen a psychologist before for anything). Hopefully that will go fine, then the surgeon said they could submit my request to insurance about 10-14 days after I see the psychologist, and then can schedule surgery.

So I'm hoping for surgery sometime in April or May this year (with UMass, I think it would have been sometime next year, at least, that was the impression I got when I was researching).

I'm luck in that I have Harvard Pilgrim for insurance, which I understand is REALLY good about approving surgery - I'd have to think they will save money as I currently pay over $100 in copays alone for my monthly medications, and I hope to get off most of them after surgery.

Just wanted to say Hi - I like this forum/board, but I know a lot of Massachusetts people are over on obesityhelp (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/posts.html)- I find their board format much more difficult to read, and really like this one better.

Everyone wish me luck with my psych appointment!

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome Jill. I was just banded this past Monday and I'm still hurtin. I went really well though per my surgeon, no problems at all. I was a boring case hahaha. Anywho, I had mine done with Dr. Jones through Beth Israel. Best place to be is a hospital in Boston if you ask me. Good luck with your appointments and getting a date. The Psychologist eval is nothing if it's anything like the one at BIDMC. You'll have to fill out a survery and then sit with the LCSW for about 30-45 min. They just want to make sure you're having the surgery for the right reasons. Good luck with it all.

Sherry

Hi JillN,

I had my band done by Dr. Vernon last June. She is awesome!!!! Not only is she so tiny and cute, she is a great doctor and extremely friendly. I also have Harvard Pilgrim. I got a YES, the day after it was submitted. Good luck!!

The psych eval is only to see if you are okay to make the decision to have surgery. I am sure that you are competant (sp).

Hmmm I'm going let this thread stay and I'll start a new one for March if that's ok with everyone. I'm a little slow hahahah didnt' realize this was the january 2006 thread and I never started a new one for Mass lol Guess I was busy planning my banding :)

hello Jill welcome, Sherry good to see your up and about, yes guess we missed february .. had a fill this month, a generous fill 1.5 cc on top of my 1cc, I only lasted 24 hours it hurt so bad just to drink.. had 1 cc taken out now I feel great and am losing

Hi Tess, Yea I'm up and about but still got a sharp pain thats on my left side that will stop me in my tracks. I have a call into my surgeons office so I'm hoping they answer my question on that tomorrow. It almost feels like there is a stitch inside that is pulling or something.

Congrats on your fill.Glad to hear you got it fixed to a comfortable level. I'm nervous about my first one.

Flower girl, after the doc puts some saline into your band it becomes tighter around your stomach making the stoma smaller. It takes longer for the food and liquid you've taken in to move to the lower stomach therefore you feel full longer and won't eat as much. :confused: Hope that helps.

Sherry

Just wondering how all my fellow MA bandsters are doing -- especially the newbies....I am pretty plateaued right now -- no loss, but no gain. i went to the Dr and he said to wait on a fill until I am no longer losing. (I've lost 14lbs since my last appt in Dec, but nothing in about a month). He said to make sure I had stopped losing before getting a fill since I have restriction and my body might just be catching up...........and then show a loss again. He didn't want me over restricted. Better safe than sorry I guess, but I hate working so hard at it to have no reults............ check in when you can.....

Howdy Bandayed

Sorry to hear about the plateau but, I bet ya have results very soon. But YOU'VE DONE GREAT! I hope I do as well :couch2:

I just got my band on 2/13 at BIDMC w/Dr. Jones and I'm finally starting to feel more like myself. Still a deep brusing thing or something going on under my left side ribs but, still doing much better. I can tell ya I'm tired of liquids hahaha. I have to wait until 3/1/06 for my post-op visit and hopefully then they'll tell me I can have something with substance to it.

My boss has been super! I went back to work on Tuesday this week and she outright told me she didn't want me working full days. To take 1/2 days and make sure I heal up and get better. I thought wow...but in the meantime I'm thinking OMG how will I ever catch up with my work lol. Everyone says...it's time to take care of you Sherry, take the time she tells you too. But....I guess I'm just not used to putting myself first. (Kinda why I'm in the shape I am I suppose :) )

I had a great experience with BIDMC and all the staff members there. They were great!

Hey Sherry -- glad to hear you're doing better. Did you know that BIDMC considers liquids anything that will go through a straw? That means you can have yogurt, cottage cheese, blended Soup, cream of wheat, liquidy mashed potatoes, applesauce etc..... It's much more lenient than most other Docs liquid phases. Hang in there -- it seems long now, but once it's done, it's like it never happened. The next stage isn't that much different -- 3 weeks on mushies which since our Doc is so lenient on liquids, is almost the same...........And do take it easy -- healing well now can make your band experience that much more successful!

Nooo I didn't know that hmmmm. I was just going by the examples they had in their booklet. Thanks for letting me know. So basically no solids like steak or chicken for 3 more weeks?

Hi All.my Name Is Debbie.i Am From Littleton,ma.west Of Boston.near Acton And Concord.i Was Banded 01/31/05 At St.eliz.med.ctr.in Boston,ma.i Had 7 Mths.of Pre-op Before I Was Banded.dr.pecquex And Dr.o/donnell Are Great Surgeons.i Am A Nuclear Medicine Tech.at St.eliz.med.ctr.i Have Been There For 10 Yrs.i Am Having A Lot Of Complications From This Band.i Would Like To Hear From Others Who Have Had Problems With Their Bands.i Have Only Lost 30lbs.it Has Already Been 13 Mts.its Not Agreeing With Me.i Have Gerd,bile Gastritis,esophgeal Dismotility,vomiting,ulcer,ibs,abd Pains And Keeping My G.i.dr.in Very Good Business.hope To Hear From Others Real Soon.deb.

Debbie,

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I don't really have any answers for you. I just wanted to give you my prayers and support. What have your doctors said about all these problems you are having?

Cathy

Wow sorry to hear you're having trouble with you band Debbie. I do hope it subsides and things get better for you.

:)Hello my name is Rosa..I am from Massaschusetts.."

My Dr is Dr.Burritt Haag at 2 Medical Office Drive.

I am 57 yrs old mother of 2 wonderful children who are very supportive of what I am about to have done...

I am just waiting for Missy to call me with a date,I do have bc/bs as an insurance.

I have done alot of research on the lapband and find it to be my best choose other members of my family had Dr.Haag and she has lost 60lbs since Nov 2005..very happy with him..made me feel very postive and he has done quite alot of this procdure this is his speciality.

I will be going to BayStateMedicalCenter of course and because of my bmi must stay over which I really do not mind because the care at BMC is excellent...

wt 264 height 5'0

bmi 52

wish to lose at less 60 or 70 lbs if God permits..:nervous

So would love to hear from others who have had Dr Haag to tell me their experience.

Thank you for having me on your site..:)