Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2006 January Chat

HI All,

I'm from Worcester, MA and very happily banded a litle over three weeks ago! It is SO nice to be on this side of the band... Congratulations to those of you who are scheduled for upcoming surgery! I really think this is the best thing I've done for myself in a very long time! Glad to hear from others in Massachusetts!

Hello All...went through Pre-op today :) Getting ready for next week.

Mary....have you had any trouble getting used to your band? Any pointers for us newbies.

Hi Sherry,

COngratulations! It will be here before you know it! My biggest suggestion is to have everything you need on hand at home before surgery, and don't be afraid to take pain meds if you need them for a few days! (I certainly did and they helped tremendously!) I was grateful to have my husband home with me a few days to help me get in and out of the chair, and be sure to walk and drink as often as you can.Everyone is different, so you may not experience much discomfort. Personally I felt like a tractor trailer truck ran me over, then an elephant got out and stood on my chest! LOL! It didn't last but a few days though, and I know it was worth it already!

Don't worry about the eating part... you really aren't hungry at all for at least a week! The protien shaks are very imprtant so be sure to have plenty on hand. Once you're past your liquid phase, it's easy to keep to reduced portions of "mushies."

So far so good for me... I won't get a fill until the end of February, but I know I can make it that far with what I'm doing. I don't have a lot of restriction, but DO feel SOME... I definitely start to feel a "heaviness" in my chest if I eat even a little more than the recommended 4 oz.

What hospital are you going to? Congrats! You will do great! Keep me posted!

Thanks for the input Mary. I'm going to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. Dr. Jones is doing my surgery. I've already got my clear liquid Proteins and I also have chocolate whey Protein that's very good. I wanted to make sure I was going to like it so had a few shakes from it. I've such luck shopping at Ishophere.biz. They've been very helpful plus you can try some free samples when you order. You just tell them what you'd like to try and you can pick up to 3. If you don't pick they'll just throw 3 in for you to try. The liquid concentrate in fruit punch is awesome and has 15 grams of Protein per serving. Not a bad way to get in your protein and your Water. I was curious if you'd feel any restriction at all but, can't see how you wouldn't truthfully. We have normal stomachs used to big quantities and then we've squeezed it to a trickle :). You're very positive and that's a BIG help. Thanks so much for your input. I hope this week flies by :) My hubby has taken the same week off so he can help me out. He says it's to make sure I drink all my Water. I have a tendency to go long periods without drinking...I've been getting better at it though :D

Sounds like you've done really well so far! Anyone else out there ready to share you experience to us Mass folks? Come on now......share the wealth heh heh

Thanks for the website info, I'll check it out. I lived on Carnation Instant Breakfast for those two weeks which got pretty boring. the fruit punch sounds like a great alternative. My doctor doesn't fill the band at all with insertion... the restriction felt is mainly from the swelling around it, some people don't feel any restriction till a couple fills out. I'm glad for the amount I do feel at this point, hopefully you will too. Good luck!

Mary

Hi all...I'm from Southern Worcester County and was banded at U-mass last July....Glad to see some postings from MA!!!

Well Sherry, tomorrows the big day! just stopping by this morning to wish you well. now I'm off to work (hopping the snow stays away 12 hours at work is long enough dont want to have to do 16 ..lol) Your in my thoughts and prayers

Hey Tess thank you very much and I hope you it's not too busy for you today at work. The snow certainly is beautiful but I don't like driving in it lol. I'm hoping the snow is cleared from the highways by 4:30am because we'll be headed to Boston around that time. I've started my "day before surgery" diet plan given to me by the surgeons office. Basically light eating then full liquids for dinner and Clear Liquids afterwards. So I'm not nervous yet but I'm sure packing later on will do it.

Thank you Mary...I haven't gotten nervous yet but, I've just started packing. Knowing people care really helps. Thanks so much.

Sherry

Sherry- I hope everything went well for you today.... just think, by the time you read this you will be home and sippin' on a delicious shake!! i had to postpone my surgery until june or july... i am in the midst of selling a house, and now is not a good time to be recooping.. let me know how everything went...:notagree

Congratulations sherry on being banded. I can not wait to be in your shoes. I hope everything went well and can not wait to hear about your journey through this most exciting time in your life. Get well soon

Hello Everyone..I just got home about 20 min ago from the hospital.Things went very well but, I'm sore and can't sit too long. I just wanted you to know I'm fine and I'll write you the detail as soon as I can. Hugs to you all :)

Sherry