Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning! Good morning!

About 10-14 days (lost count) ago I decided to drop my carbs even lower than I had been doing to see if I couldn't shake up the weight loss. So instead of doing 30-45 (sometimes up to 60 when I was seriously jonesing for some winter squash), I've stuck consistently to less than 20. Calories are pretty much the same...averaging out at 900-1200 per day although last weekend I did eat 1800 on Saturday and 2300 on Sunday. As of this morning, I'm down 13 pounds in that time period! This after averaging a pound or less a week over the last 16 months. :blink:

I'm not going to get my hopes up that it will continue but I feel goooood this morning. Clear headed, energetic and, best of all...not hungry despite a complete unfill! I'm hoping that lasts as well!

C'mon world...bring it on! I'm 'floatin' like a butterfly, stingin' like a bee' this morning!

My band date was Jan 28th , I have been doing low carb since the pre op diet , I usually stay at around 20 to 30 carbs a day and I feel like you do , since Jan 15 I have lost 35 pounds

I am thinking of doing something similar to shake things up. First though, I am going to make sure I get exercise in regularly. That fell by the wayside when I got sick and then my dad got sick. I am heading to the gym this afternoon and making it a priority.

My band date was Jan 28th , I have been doing low carb since the pre op diet , I usually stay at around 20 to 30 carbs a day and I feel like you do , since Jan 15 I have lost 35 pounds

Congratulations!

That is really awesome! Must be hard to stick to less than 20-30 gm or carbs though?

My chiro pushes this low carb-high Protein diet where he swears his patients lose 10-15 lbs a week. It's so expensive that I only get the Snacks right now, but what he is telling me is consistent with your results after cutting out the carbs! Great job!

Melody,

You are the best salesperson for low carb! I was checking out your 3 week low carb plan on another post and hope to start on Monday -- I have to write out my food plan and go grocery shopping. I have to admit that I am a little scared to eat fats ... but I KNOW that the low carb thing works. And, I would love to feel more energetic.

Congratulations on your success! And thanks for all the useful info!

~Fran

If you recall the Adkins Diet......you were allowed regular salad dressing and didn't have to watch fats either.

People allegedly lost a lot of weight. The only thing is that there were concerns that eliminating that much carbs long term was not good for you. Or at least that's what I recall reading....

Melody,

You are the best salesperson for low carb! I was checking out your 3 week low carb plan on another post and hope to start on Monday -- I have to write out my food plan and go grocery shopping. I have to admit that I am a little scared to eat fats ... but I KNOW that the low carb thing works. And, I would love to feel more energetic.

Congratulations on your success! And thanks for all the useful info!

~Fran

That is really awesome! Must be hard to stick to less than 20-30 gm or carbs though?

My chiro pushes this low carb-high Protein diet where he swears his patients lose 10-15 lbs a week. It's so expensive that I only get the Snacks right now, but what he is telling me is consistent with your results after cutting out the carbs! Great job!

10-15 a week?? Maybe a month...yes?

It's actually not that difficult. The higher fat (60%) helps keep me satisfied.

Fran: Yes, the higher fats flies in the face of everything we've been told for the last 50 years. In recent years, more and more 'experts' are beginning to jump the fence. I posted a thread called "the great fat debate" and there's a link there that talks about this more. And thank you. Atkins is the only WOE that has ever been successful for me. This time though it's about controlling my blood sugar and the weight loss is a bonus. Amazing how it's difficult to *diet* when it's just about weight, but at the thought of losing my kidneys or feet, it's suddenly not so difficult. :blink:

Mattie: Yes, *they* do say going without carbs that long is bad, but the truth is *they* haven't really read Atkins book or they'd know he isn't saying to do without carbs completely. The first two weeks are induction and the purpose is to get the excess carbs out of our system because once we do, the cravings stop. After that we add carbs back in but in the form of vegies. It's only later (and depends on the individual's tolerance for carbs) that we add fruits back in. At or close to maintenance, he says you can add grains back in but it's not necessary.

I know people who've been doing Atkins for 25 years, have reached maintenance and still only eat their carbs in the form of vegies, maybe fruit and avoid all grains/starches.

Yeah that makes sense.....following the diet but not knowing all the rules.....got it.

And yes, he meant week. Just the other day told me a guy lost 16 lbs that week. Of course, I think that's the initial weight loss, I wouldn't expect this continues....but hey I don't do the diet so what do I know!!!

Fran: Yes, the higher fats flies in the face of everything we've been told for the last 50 years. In recent years, more and more 'experts' are beginning to jump the fence. I posted a thread called "the great fat debate" and there's a link there that talks about this more. And thank you. Atkins is the only WOE that has ever been successful for me. This time though it's about controlling my blood sugar and the weight loss is a bonus. Amazing how it's difficult to *diet* when it's just about weight, but at the thought of losing my kidneys or feet, it's suddenly not so difficult. :blink:

Mattie: Yes, *they* do say going without carbs that long is bad, but the truth is *they* haven't really read Atkins book or they'd know he isn't saying to do without carbs completely. The first two weeks are induction and the purpose is to get the excess carbs out of our system because once we do, the cravings stop. After that we add carbs back in but in the form of vegies. It's only later (and depends on the individual's tolerance for carbs) that we add fruits back in. At or close to maintenance, he says you can add grains back in but it's not necessary.

I know people who've been doing Atkins for 25 years, have reached maintenance and still only eat their carbs in the form of vegies, maybe fruit and avoid all grains/starches.

Can you tell me what you normally eat? I would really love to drop low on my carbs - I know what not to eat, but what do I eat instead? I normally have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, and maybe a salad or small meal (250-300 calories) for lunch.. but by dinner I am hungry. If I manage to avoid the carbs day one, by day two or three I give in and feel deprived. I love Protein, but I am scared of the fat content of so many proteins... can you give me an idea of what your day looks like with so few carbs? Thanks!!

Sure...this is a typical day for me now...

B: 1 egg cooked in .1 oz butter and 2 sl bacon (.5 oz) (I've done the Protein shake for breakfast instead when pressed for time)

L: Chef's salad - 1.5 cups (or so cuz I really don't measure) romaine, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 oz deli chicken or ham, .5 oz bacon crumbles, .5 oz shredded cheese, 2 Tbs blue cheese dressing (homemade and full fat)

D: 3 oz Protein (baked, broiled, fried, grilled, whatever) and 1/2-1 c. vegies (green Beans, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts or just a salad)

Lately I've been on a salad kick so I've been eating chef salads for lunch and dinner. I think the fat content just makes it feel like I'm not dieting *and* keeps me satisfied for 4 hours or so (and that's even with a complete unfill in my band!).

You can also do the 3 oz protein and 1/2-1 c. vegies for lunch instead of the salad. My protein might be a 3 oz burger 1 oz of cheese melted on it...or possibly a sauce made with sour cream and half and half (like a stroganoff). I've done a grilled (love my Foreman grill) chicken breast (I always split them in half horizontally so it's more like a thin chicken picata) covered with homemade alfredo sauce (which is just butter, cream and parmesan cheese).

I don't go heavyhanded on the sauces...maybe 2 Tbs and my fats regularly come in at around 60-70%.

I record everything in fitday.com. Some people think that's too much work but it probably takes me 5 minutes to put in my meal each time. It's worth it. Many times people think they're following the plan perfectly, but don't realize those hidden carbs add up 1 at a time.

If I can help more, feel free to ask. I use Atkins 1972 edition of his plan. I think it's easier and cleaner. Later books seem to have compromised and added far more 'allowable' carbs and I think it was to make it more marketable...but you can use any version. Amazon has all of them. I wouldn't use any version that was written after his death since the 'name' was sold and, seriously, how can you trust any corporation that also owns Cinnabon. :huh:

Yes yes yes low carbs is the way to go.

I still keep to the liquid diet some what ,

B: I have a shake , snack I eat a cheese stick ,

L: shake again , snack cheese stick again

D: whatever the family eats , I just get creative with making it low carb

I've hit a bit of a plateau in the last month, so I think I'll give this a try. I think I may have started adding too many carbs to my diet and that's the reason for my plateau.