Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having some serious second thoughts

This is just my .02 and 'impression'...not fact...but it seems like some are very successful because they have this mental "I just spent all this money and I will make it work" and others actually do get some restriction which limits how much they can eat and/or eliminates their hunger and desire to eat. Whatever works. In both cases, they're now able to exert the willpower and self-control needed to not just eat because they 'want' to eat. Even at my sweet spot when I was able to go 4-5 hours between meals without hunger and was no longer obsessed with food, I still thought about food...but the lack of hunger and appetite suppression made it possible for me to walk by that vending machine or drive by that fast food place more consistently and long-term. Did I do it perfectly? No...but certainly more consistently than before the band.

The reality is that every WLS requires self-control and willpower. Band, sleeve or bypass...it's not a quick fix anymore than Weight Watchers, counting calories or any other diet is a quick fix. The *only* advantage I see to sleeve and bypass is that initially you lose a lot of weight fast...why may create its own set of problems.

I think you have to ask yourself, if you could stay on Weight Watchers or any other diet long term, why are you overweight now? The answer to that question may help you decide whether the band is for you or whether you can do it without the band. :)

First of all I didnt pay big bucks my insurance covered it and I did not do it for the weight loss part as much as if I didnt do it possibly having my stomach removed from excessive bile backing up in to my stomach and in to my esophagus. My GI doctor suggested it for the issues I was having with my stomach which now I have none. The weight loss was just a plus. Some bands are done for other reasons besides weight loss. I had huge stomach issues that could not be resolved without the band or have my stomach completely and totally removed so which option would you have chosen. Secondly you can still eat large amounts of food only it will take you longer. The food only stays in the pouch less than a minute then it goes on to the bottom portion of your stomach which is still there, always will be and still is as big as it ever was from the beginning. If you want to lose weight with the band then it is a diet and Portion Control there is no other way out of it except for that. Yes I did lose 70lbs and now am weight training because I can now and dont have horrid pain in my stomach. It was only a trial for the bile if it didnt work then I probably would have had major surgery. It worked, I am thinner, and happier but never the less still dieting.

Really? I had no idea the Band was indicated for any condition other than obesity. Between Shirley's Fluid retention issue and this I'm really getting an education. That's wonderful that it can help with other issues too. And also great if your insurance pays 100%, which mine will not do, so I will be putting a few $k into this out of pocket.

I think one of the problems I'm having with understanding some responses is that I'm incorrectly thinking of a "diet" as simply eating less food and using willpower to stop yourself from eating more. I don't consider it a "diet" when I use pills because there is absolutely no will power involved. I have absolutely no interest in foods when I take them so it's not hard at all not to overeat. When I "diet" whether it be on my own or with Weight Watchers it is extremely hard because my appetite is screaming all the time.

The way you are using diet is of course the correct way. A diet is whatever you eat day in and day out. Someone could have a diet of ice cream and marshmallows and that would be a correct use of the word if that's what they ate. Sooo... yes, using the LabBand depends on your diet to lose weight. It doesn't somehow magically cause the fat to disappear just because it's a piece of plastic around your stomach. I get it. What I'm actually trying to ask, (and doing poorly it seems), is how much EASIER does the Band make it to follow a diet that will cause you to lose weight? And, (and this is probably my most important issue), how long does that effect last? I mean in years. We really can't know because the band was only started in the early 2000's (isn't that right?)

I realize no one here can really answer that. I'm just more or less bouncing thoughts around and it helps to type them out and if someone can add anything to my thought process that's great.

Hi...although it is true that many people with will-power will in fact lose weight, the truth of the matter is that some people need that 'extra' push to lose the weight. For some people, the solution is the lap band or the gastric sleeve.

I have administered the lap band and performed the vertical sleeve gastrectomy on a number of pateints, all with solid results. The difference between losing the weight this way and going on rigid diets is that typically, when patients go on atypical diets, they tend to gain the weight. It is just human nature, once you're off the diet, you will gain the weight back.

Thus, if you need a 'mechanical' aid, and you have the will power to do this, then weight-loss surgery can very well be an option for you. This can only be decided by your physician.

Schedule a consult...you have nothing to lose.

Hope this helps!!

I'm seeing that the ones who are successful with the band are the ones who learn how to eat right and use willpower. How is that any different than any diet? Couldn't I just go on a 2-week liquid diet to detox then start Weight Watchers and get the same results?

I really don't understand the people who say it's all about will power yet they got the band so ... why? Why did you get the Band if it's all about will power?

And please, don't say "It's just a tool". tongue.gif

If you want to talk about what that means I have a previous thread for that.

Right now I'm looking for solid reasons that people got the band even though they have great will power.

Thanks!

I think you have to ask yourself, if you could stay on Weight Watchers or any other diet long term, why are you overweight now? The answer to that question may help you decide whether the band is for you or whether you can do it without the band. :)

Which is exactly the question I'm asking about the Band. I know from past experience that I can't stay on the WW plan or any-other weight-loss plan I've tried for the long-term. And I mean more than 3 years by long-term. What I'm wondering is if I can stay on a weight-loss then maintenance plan by using the Band for the long-term? If not then I should save my money and not take the risk. But if I could then I will be knocking on the surgeon's door in the morning. The problem is, I guess, no one can answer that yet.

That's going to be my main question at the support group meeting I'm going to pre-surgery. I'm anxious to see who there has had the Band successfully for the longest. You can believe I will be that person's new best friend!

Hi...although it is true that many people with will-power will in fact lose weight, the truth of the matter is that some people need that 'extra' push to lose the weight. For some people, the solution is the lap band or the gastric sleeve.

I have administered the lap band and performed the vertical sleeve gastrectomy on a number of pateints, all with solid results. The difference between losing the weight this way and going on rigid diets is that typically, when patients go on atypical diets, they tend to gain the weight. It is just human nature, once you're off the diet, you will gain the weight back.

Thus, if you need a 'mechanical' aid, and you have the will power to do this, then weight-loss surgery can very well be an option for you. This can only be decided by your physician.

Schedule a consult...you have nothing to lose.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the input. It's great to see a professional here! So tell me, what is the longest-term success you've seen in your patients using the various types of bariatric surgery?

Oh, and yes I have my appt. scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I'm just still going to be weighing the pros and cons up until the moment of surgery I suppose.

Thanks!

For me, the band has done two things. First, I was not aware of how quickly I was eating before the band. The band slows me down, because if I eat too quickly, it is uncomfortable and I sometimes burp up what I have eaten. This is an unpleasant experience, so this has modified my behavior and I tend to do that less often now. Second, diets worked, but I rebounded after and gained not just that weight back, but 20 or more pounds for good measure. Being on a diet for me is torture and cannot work permanently. With the band, I can eat anything that I want, but in a small, thin person portion.

I am down 54 pounds - my surgery was 9/24/10. I was 215 when I started at 5'6". I am now one size away from my goal in about six months. Something that I could not have done without the band.

I also had the thought of why not just diet and stick to it? I liked the post where the person noted the quote about the definition of insanity. This is VERY true in this case.

Good Luck regardless of what you decide to do - my only regret is that I waited so long to do this.

Patients roll their eyes when we say this, but results vary from person to person. Earlier this morning, I saw a patient that was 10 months post-op. He went from a size 56 to a size 46. He started at 295lbs and is currently at 220.

In the US the lap band is being pushed a lot more because it has been approved by insurance companies and because the FDA approved a 'wider' use. Something worth mentioning is that the band is cheaper than the sleeve. The patient I mentioned, had a sleeve gastrectomy. I personally feel that these procedures yield better results. But again, only your physician can decide that.

Remember to have a list of questions when you have your consult. I always ask my questions if they have 'any more questions' about 4 to 5 times and I always get a new question. You're on the right path, and remember it's normal to feel some stress before your procedure.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the input. It's great to see a professional here! So tell me, what is the longest-term success you've seen in your patients using the various types of bariatric surgery?

Oh, and yes I have my appt. scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I'm just still going to be weighing the pros and cons up until the moment of surgery I suppose.

Thanks!

This is a great question and one that I ponder myself all the time.

This forum is fun and you get some answers you need, etc. but in the end, the reason I was banded had nothing to do with what is posted here. It had to do with the real life results I have seen from 3 friends and co-workers.

Co-worker #1--Banded in 2009 original weight about 350, now a size 11-12

Friend #2--Banded May 2009 start weight about 220 was 105 in a year. She said it was easy, a no brainer, why wouldn't anyone do it.....etc etc.

Acquaintance #3---Don't know her start weight but probably the 200's and she now is slim.

Family Friend #4--300# plus, lost most of excess weight. Did gain some back but also did not continue with fill maintenance after first year

So, THIS is what motivates me. If these people could do it, then so can we. I KNOW they didn't suddenly go from 350 pounds to citing "it's a tool" and doing all the work themselves. Their bands are largely responsible for their weight loss, not their diets. And no, they don't exercise either, at least the first 2 I know quite well do not.

Let me clarify: I'm not saying don't exercise and diet, not at all!

I do believe that will render best results!

I'm seeing that the ones who are successful with the band are the ones who learn how to eat right and use willpower. How is that any different than any diet? Couldn't I just go on a 2-week liquid diet to detox then start Weight Watchers and get the same results?

I really don't understand the people who say it's all about will power yet they got the band so ... why? Why did you get the Band if it's all about will power?

And please, don't say "It's just a tool". tongue.gif

If you want to talk about what that means I have a previous thread for that.

Right now I'm looking for solid reasons that people got the band even though they have great will power.

Thanks!

As mentioned above, the band is a MECHANICAL helper. (If that makes it a tool, then so be it. :)) I have tons of willpower. I can diet with the best of them, and lose like crazy. But as soon as something in my life changes, and I'm unable to continue that process, the weight comes flooding back. It's happened to me lots of times. I got tired of the roller coaster, and decided I needed some assistance. I'm not planning to ever go back to the way it was before.

Now that I'm banded, things are different. I am not able to "forget" about what I'm eating. Willpower has little to do with it. I make the conscious choice of what I'm eating, and as long as I pay attention, the band limits the general amount of whatever that meal is.

Real world experience: Last night I was starving after a hectic day where I was unable to eat on schedule. I'd gone about nine hours since a modest lunch, and I was ravenous. I was out of town with a friend, and we dropped into a Thai restaurant recommended by another friend. The food smelled awesome. I ordered a chicken and vegetable dish, and waited like an impatient kid till my meal arrived.

It looked amazing. The presentation was perfect, it smelled amazing, portion was enormous, and I couldn't wait to wolf it down. I deliberately took my time, because I wanted it to last. I even used chopsticks, to slow down my eating. The first bite was wonderful. I savored the taste as I chewed the chicken to the right consistency. Each bite was better than the one before. I was so hungry, it was a fantastic meal.

After several bites of chicken and several more of vegetables and a bite or two of brown rice, my ravenous appetite just clicked off. I was suddenly and completely full, and satisfied with what I'd eaten. I couldn't believe it. I was mentally prepared to eat the whole plate, but my band said, "Um, nope. We're done here." When I looked over at the dish I was serving myself from, it had about 90% of the meal left on it. I asked to have it boxed up, and now I have a ton of leftovers. It was one of the first times I've eaten Asian food and not been hungry a short time later.

The lesson I learned is that it's not always about the hunger. It's about the process. My band helps keep me on track, even when I want to do something else. I like having that sort of helper.

Dave

Dave you're so funny! And I love how you give real life examples of what your "mechanical helper" does for you!!!

As mentioned above, the band is a MECHANICAL helper. (If that makes it a tool, then so be it. :)) I have tons of willpower. I can diet with the best of them, and lose like crazy. But as soon as something in my life changes, and I'm unable to continue that process, the weight comes flooding back. It's happened to me lots of times. I got tired of the roller coaster, and decided I needed some assistance. I'm not planning to ever go back to the way it was before.

Now that I'm banded, things are different. I am not able to "forget" about what I'm eating. Willpower has little to do with it. I make the conscious choice of what I'm eating, and as long as I pay attention, the band limits the general amount of whatever that meal is.

Real world experience: Last night I was starving after a hectic day where I was unable to eat on schedule. I'd gone about nine hours since a modest lunch, and I was ravenous. I was out of town with a friend, and we dropped into a Thai restaurant recommended by another friend. The food smelled awesome. I ordered a chicken and vegetable dish, and waited like an impatient kid till my meal arrived.

It looked amazing. The presentation was perfect, it smelled amazing, portion was enormous, and I couldn't wait to wolf it down. I deliberately took my time, because I wanted it to last. I even used chopsticks, to slow down my eating. The first bite was wonderful. I savored the taste as I chewed the chicken to the right consistency. Each bite was better than the one before. I was so hungry, it was a fantastic meal.

After several bites of chicken and several more of vegetables and a bite or two of brown rice, my ravenous appetite just clicked off. I was suddenly and completely full, and satisfied with what I'd eaten. I couldn't believe it. I was mentally prepared to eat the whole plate, but my band said, "Um, nope. We're done here." When I looked over at the dish I was serving myself from, it had about 90% of the meal left on it. I asked to have it boxed up, and now I have a ton of leftovers. It was one of the first times I've eaten Asian food and not been hungry a short time later.

The lesson I learned is that it's not always about the hunger. It's about the process. My band helps keep me on track, even when I want to do something else. I like having that sort of helper.

Dave

Which is exactly the question I'm asking about the Band. I know from past experience that I can't stay on the WW plan or any-other weight-loss plan I've tried for the long-term. And I mean more than 3 years by long-term. What I'm wondering is if I can stay on a weight-loss then maintenance plan by using the Band for the long-term?

Sorry...I meant you need to look back at *why* you couldn't stay on a weight loss plan. What made you go off it? That reason may help you determine whether the band is right for you. :)

re: "After several bites of chicken and several more of vegetables and a bite or two of brown rice, my ravenous appetite just clicked off. I was suddenly and completely full, and satisfied with what I'd eaten. " Dave: great illustration!!!! That happens to me also on many occasions. I disagree with calling the sensation 'being FULL' though. I have rigorously worked to study what "full" is to me....and the sensation of "full" is not the same as "satiated". In my days of wearing size 56/58 pants I was concerned about 'full'. In my postOp life at size 42/44, I prefer to label it "satiated". In any case, we are talking about the very same behavior, which is to not OVER eat despite our intention, opportunity and motives. Hooray for the Band!!!

re: "After several bites of chicken and several more of vegetables and a bite or two of brown rice, my ravenous appetite just clicked off. I was suddenly and completely full, and satisfied with what I'd eaten. " Dave: great illustration!!!! That happens to me also on many occasions. I disagree with calling the sensation 'being FULL' though. I have rigorously worked to study what "full" is to me....and the sensation of "full" is not the same as "satiated". In my days of wearing size 56/58 pants I was concerned about 'full'. In my postOp life at size 42/44, I prefer to label it "satiated". In any case, we are talking about the very same behavior, which is to not OVER eat despite our intention, opportunity and motives. Hooray for the Band!!!

And so is this a sensation you never felt before the band? Could it be that you feel it now because you have decided that you've put this much into the Band and you're going to make it work and you're really, really trying to listen to your body now? Or is the band really making you feel that satiated feeling with less food?

Sorry...I meant you need to look back at *why* you couldn't stay on a weight loss plan. What made you go off it? That reason may help you determine whether the band is right for you. :)

The reason I went off them was because I felt deprived and hungry. Will the Band keep those feelings from coming back after 5 or so years?

Which is exactly the question I'm asking about the Band. I know from past experience that I can't stay on the WW plan or any-other weight-loss plan I've tried for the long-term. And I mean more than 3 years by long-term. What I'm wondering is if I can stay on a weight-loss then maintenance plan by using the Band for the long-term? If not then I should save my money and not take the risk. But if I could then I will be knocking on the surgeon's door in the morning. The problem is, I guess, no one can answer that yet.

That's going to be my main question at the support group meeting I'm going to pre-surgery. I'm anxious to see who there has had the Band successfully for the longest. You can believe I will be that person's new best friend!

One thing I can say that is true, and I found this out from my last fill, is that this is a step by step process, Every Time you get a fill, you get a little closer to the point where you are less, and less hungry. I now am really not even hungry. I find myself journaling about 700 calories a day, and with the Protein shake for lunch,,, well so far this is a snap,

When I feel like I'm starving to death !!! I will go in for a fill, and that terrible feeling will be gone again.

So in this way it helps me out a lot. I hope you understand that it makes it possible without to much suffering or anxiety to try and do this, It's like pain Medication, it only takes the edge of.