Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded March 11th, and I'm scared

Sign in to follow this  

Hello fellow friends- I just came to realization how my total life is going to change. My family is scared, my friends are pissed, and I know I'm totally going to change. The fam is supportive but scared. My friends are pissed because they say I look fine but they always make the jokes. Or maybe they are mad because they would rather send their money on beer, desert toys, and other useless crap. I never really sat down to think how my whole life is going to change. I have NEVER been thin, always chunky, husky, or fat. This idea reqlly freaks me out. I know this is a lot but need to get it out there... someone counsel me please...

Hi ERuiz,

I am being banded on March 4th and too have had my "freak out" moments, but then I remember how hard I have worked and how far I have come. I know this may sound silly but I believe in signs and this whole process has just gone so smoothly that I believe it is the right thing to do. I hope you can find some comfort in that too. I understand your family being scared but you can reassure them that everything will be okay and you need them to be your support! My Doc said this surgery is less invasive than gallbladder removal and think of how often those occur!

Regarding your friends, I am sorry to hear that because I think it may be time for some new friends. They are entitled to their opinion but as friends should support you 110%. Perhaps their attitudes is coming from a palce of jealousy.

If you feel it is the right thing to do for YOU then the support of your friends and family should follow.

Your life will change but for the better! You can do it!

Hello fellow friends- I just came to realization how my total life is going to change. My family is scared, my friends are pissed, and I know I'm totally going to change. The fam is supportive but scared. My friends are pissed because they say I look fine but they always make the jokes. Or maybe they are mad because they would rather send their money on beer, desert toys, and other useless crap. I never really sat down to think how my whole life is going to change. I have NEVER been thin, always chunky, husky, or fat. This idea reqlly freaks me out. I know this is a lot but need to get it out there... someone counsel me please...

Congrats on your life choice..I am being banded mar 11 too. my husband is supportive, however I have made the choice not to tell anyone for a few months because I feel I don't want the added pressure. Ignore people that are trying to bring you down, it's their own insecurities. in the end the people who love you will be there..

it's only natural to be scared... especially your parents. i was 37 when i had my surgery almost 3 years ago and my entire family tried to change my mind. not that they didn't want me healthy, they were afraid of the surgery itself. i'm the only one in my family that is overweight so they didn't really understand the concept behind the lapband. i had dinner with my older sister the other night and she said, "you don't eat enough" so she still doesn't really get it. thin people usually don't "get it". i NEED the band to help me stop eating. luckily all my friends have been supportive and i get teased as being a "cheap date" because i either order off the kid's menu or i share their meals.

just do as much research as you can before you have the surgery. you may think you'll be okay only eating a half to a cup of food at one sitting but it's more difficult than you think! your brain wants you to keep eating because the food is good or there's so much left on your plate but if you don't "listen" to your band you'll throw up. it's a total mind game for me... even after 2.5 years.

also, you might not be able to eat the foods you love anymore, even in moderation. i can't digest bread or ground meat so that means NO pizza, NO burgers. EVER. my 2 favorite foods in the entire world. i've gotten over hamburgers but pizza is still hard for me because it's everywhere... at every party, every family meal, etc.

BUT, i love my new body! i went from a size 18 to a size 8. sometimes i can even fit into a size 6 pair of jeans! i haven't done that since high school! its nice being able to cross my legs without having to grab and pull the leg over. i love walking without sweating. it's amazing how i can take the stairs at work without a second thought. it's life changing!

MY surgery is march 10 I am so excited. Seemed like it was taking forever now its going by fast

I am being banded on the same day as you! I havent been told my time or anything yet. I really took a year to go back and forth on if this was the best option for me. I researched and read as much as I could about my doctor and hospital and the surgery itself. I even went as far as watch one on you tube. (Dont recommend that for those with a weak stomach) During this time my husband and I talked over what ifs and all the changes that can happen.

Only after I completely made up my mind did I tell my family and friends. Only I know my body and what it needs. Unfortunately without this surgery I probably wouldnt ever be "average" . My mom was upset that I wasnt waiting till summer when she could take care of me. My friends are shocked that I am doing it. I believe that they are happy for me for the most part but as with anything it will change our relationship. I am doing this for me and if they truely love me then they will do their best to support me. One of my friends I believe likes me to be the heavy one because it always makes her feel better about herself. I dont say that meanly but it is true. She is probably one of the only ones that has really not been supportive but I believe that has to deal more with her then me.

I will be your band buddy. Keep your chin up and everyone else will fall in line. If they dont are they really your friends?

kalipso and doodlebugs mom have it right. Each speaking from their own experience. I f this is what you want, then know that being scared is ok, continue to educate yourself know who is your support and who will not be your support and move on with your life. Change always can be scary and in many ways it will be a good thing as you watch and participate in your improvement of your health and ultimately your life. Yes, there will be times that you will struggle, but you will learn if you choose to and you will be better for it. I too have been heavy all of my life and I am still learning new life style changes, sometimes i have to discipline myself such as keeping an exercise regime, but I am never feeling deprived of something.

The feeling of being in less pain due to the joints having to haul around less weight and the ability to have the energy to walk and climb flights of stairs is a wonderful thing to experience. When someone compliments you or when you go out and can actually fit into a booth comfortably or put your shoes on without having to haul your leg and foot up to the side to you, but you actually bend down without having to hold your breath to put on your shoes...This is your life and it is ok for your family to be afraid for you. Those that make fun and call names will have to turn their attention to something else.... good luck and keep us informed of your journey. You are not alone

Hi! We share the same band-date. Change is hard sometimes, especially when it comes to something this big. I have been on the other (thinner) side and you are going to be SO happy. Not only are you going to look great but more importantly you will FEEL GREAT!!. I have hid behind my weight because I fear the unknown. I can tell you it will be a rebirth of sorts. Surround yourself with only positive things and people. You deserve this and all the good that follows. It may be like some who, when they give up a bad habit, find they have to move on to healthier relationships as well. A recovering alcoholic shouldn't hang around "friends" who hang out in bars. Whoever doesn't support you doesn't understand. Aside from your family being scared for you, embrace everyone who supports you. And give it time. This is a mental thing as much, if not more so, than a physical thing. Keep us posted!!:)

Sky is the limit don't nobody hold you down. I am getting banded March 1. My friends have mixed feelings and emotions too. But at the end of the day you have live with your decision. I too relize my whole life is going to changes you are going to have some hater and you will have some supporters that is a given no matter big or small. Just look forward to becoming a better stronger healthier you.