Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Diet....UGHHHHH

My surgery is February 23rd (next Wednesday) and i've been doing the Protein diet for 3 days now. My doctor suggested that I just do it a week prior to surgery because my BMI is only about 42. However, all I can say is YUCK! I have no energy, a headache that makes me want to cry and just really don't feel well overall. Just wanting opinions of those of you who have already done this. Can I add a lean protein meat or anything of some consistency rather than just doing the Protein Shakes? By the way this is my first post to the forum so please be patient! lol :-)

I only did it for a couple of days I had a light lunch then splurged on a Sat. night I had beers and some jumbalya then a Breakfast burrito on Sunday. I went on the diet the rest of Sunday and Monday then all clear on Tuesday and Surgery on Wed. no problems at all. I too was about the same BMI.

My surgery is scheduled for February 21 and I've been doing the Protein thing since the 10th. My doctor did not put me on a Protein shake, he just said to stay under 10 carbohydrates a day (my chewable Vitamins are 5...). I am really tired of egg beaters, cheese and lean hamburger but it sounds a lot better than those shakes. Other than cravings and heartburn, I don't have any other side effects. I've lost 4 pounds in a week and hunger hasn't been an issue. There is really no variety, but could you do that instead? I'd check with your doctor. As I understand it, the entire purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver (go figure, the first part of me to get skinny is my liver!) so my feeling would be you can use whatever works for you.

The best thing I ever did was by a Ninja. It is a kitchen blender that lets you add ice to creat the best smoothy or shake I have ever had. It turns the ice into snow so you don't have any chunks. I take one of the swiss miss hot coco packets, half a cup of skim milk, 2 TbSP Peanut Butter and a scoop of tasteless Protein in the little blender with about 12 ice cubs and a little splenda. It's about 425 calories but it makes enough for two servings. The peanut butter is filling that I can take a few bites and I can feel full. I also got a food dehydrator a few months ago to make my husband beef Jerky to take to work and so I have been making me some bite size pieces. for me. I have not been hungary. I also got me some sugar free popcycles so if the urge to snack does hit, then I am not doing any damage.

Go on ebay and look up MUSCLE MILK get the light, you'll need it anyway after the surgery. Check out all the different flavors that the suppliers have, and order what you would like.

Like Cookies N CREAM, chocolate Peanut Butter BLEND etc. There really good for you.

I know your hungry! By some products made out of TURKEY. Like turkey meatballs, turkey bacon, eggs or egg beaters.

I had breakfast Turkey sausage, egg beaters, lunch Muscle Milk shake dinner couple of Meatballs, some Gravy, Cottage cheese. snack sugar free pudding.

About 3 days before surgery I went all liquid Fruitsicles, Muscle Milk Yogurt, pudding, and anything liquid. After Surgery I asked my surgeon how did I do with the liquids?

He said " O You Were Just Fine!

So that's what I did, and it worked just fine.

I suggest sticking with what your Doctor suggests. There's a reason he told you to do that particular diet. If you can't handle 7 days without solid food you may want to reconsider surgery. 7 days of inconvenience for the benefit of the rest of your life.

If you really want some solids, make Jello with Isopure Zero Carb as the cold Water. It's a semi-solid, will provide you with Protein, and will help you feel full. And the Isopure tastes great. If you don't know where to get it call a Gold's Gym, GNC, or the hospital where you have your surgery may sell it in their pharmacy.

I was on the 7 days preop Protein Drink only diet and it sucks, but you'll lose some weight, and you'll be in a much better position when you have surgery and adapting to what will likely be a liquid diet for a week after surgery.

Also - try a few shakes with carbs in them, they will help with your headaches.

i agree with Acadia... if you can't handle the Protein Shakes before surgery, how are you going to handle them AFTER surgery? you will be drinking shakes for a long time after surgery! most of us continue to drink them because its an easy way to get a lot of Protein in at one time. if you don't like the shake you're drinking now, keep trying to find one that you do like!

All that is very true, but even my Doc said if your really hungry eat Proteins only, but incorporate the liquids. Because your gonna have to get use to it any way. All went smooth, and then I had my weeks of hell for healing, and i stuck to all that.

At 1000 calries or under a day, You can bet I dropped weight.

My sugery is also February 23rd and I get to do the pre-op diet for 14 days prior to surgery. About the 3rd day into my protien shake diet I had a complete break down and was sobbing like a child. All I wanted was real food. And then I thought about it all. I told myself that I hadn't come 6 months through the pre-op work up to loose it all now. We are doing the shakes to shrink our liver to make the surgery easier and safer. I get to have 4 powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes a day or the Unjury broth for one of them and then I can have one unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese, 1 sugar free pudding per day and sugar free Jello. (The cottage cheese was a life saver.) The unjury gives you 20 gm protien per shake. After that rough day, things just got easier. The weight is coming off on the pre-op diet. 8 lbs in 10 days...so that helps too. I do agree with the previous two posts, if you can't do the liquids now....how are you going to do/cope post surgery?

Best of luck to you!!

My sugery is also February 23rd and I get to do the pre-op diet for 14 days prior to surgery. About the 3rd day into my protien shake diet I had a complete break down and was sobbing like a child. All I wanted was real food. And then I thought about it all. I told myself that I hadn't come 6 months through the pre-op work up to loose it all now. We are doing the shakes to shrink our liver to make the surgery easier and safer. I get to have 4 unjury shakes a day or the Unjury broth for one of them and then I can have one unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese, 1 sugar free pudding per day and sugar free Jello. (The cottage cheese was a life saver.) The unjury gives you 20 gm protien per shake. After that rough day, things just got easier. The weight is coming off on the pre-op diet. 8 lbs in 10 days...so that helps too. I do agree with the previous two posts, if you can't do the liquids now....how are you going to do/cope post surgery?

Best of luck to you!!

I lasted until day 4 of my 14 day liquid diet before I had my emotional breakdown...and I too was sobbing like a little child. One way I found around it was to have a small salad of romaine hearts with a fat free italian dressing just for flavor. It had never tasted so good. It really did make it easier to get by. I'm now on day 9 of the diet and my surgery is coming up on the 24th of this month. Now that I've made it to this point I actually find that I'm not hungry at all during the day...it's just hard not eating what you see because you want to eat - not because you're hungry.

No! Just drink your shakes it'll be over soon enough :) it's to prep your body and your liver for surgery. The first month just sucks, it does, but then you are back to normal.

I had a breakdown and all that too, and I was sick with a cold it was no fun, but stuck with it.

Also I know the weight loss from the liquids is kind of unintentional, but it's GREAT. Weight loss isn't quick after surgery maybe 2lbs a week, to lose 15lbs in a week is so awesome! haha.