Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Port! HELP!

So I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem before … I went in for my first fill last Friday (yes at the moment I was jumping out of my skin with excitement) and my Doctor couldn’t find my port! I mean he tried several times and he even bent needles in me! One needle even got stuck somehow and he had to tug a little to get it out. He was concerned about what was going on so he stopped and is making me come back for another apt … he wants to do it under an x-ray to make sure he finds it and to see what’s going on. I’m sure everything will work out but I’m worried about going “under the knife” again! I really don’t want him to have to go in and “fix” anything! Why does this stuff always happen to me!! Please tell me someone has dealt with this and what happened for you.

I had the same problem when I went for my first fill last week. I had to be arched over three rolled blankets and push down like I was having a BM and even with that it took several attempts. Finally he was successful. I found the whole experience embarrassing! Good luck for next time!

All of my fills have been done under xray and no problems. Hope that will be a solution for you. Good Luck and I'm sorry you had to be such a pin cushion!

I still have a bruise from my first fill attempt 2 weeks ago. Going in Thursday to try again. Dr said my port had not settled yet. Hope it is not the same this time.

WoW I feel for all of you that your Dr doesn't do fills by xray, that just sounds extremely unpleasant and painful.

sorry to hear that your doc could not find your port. He should definitely be able to see it under fluro. My first fill was under fluro and it was a piece of cake. The only problem I have ever experienced with a fill was when my doc was trying to teach a new doc how to do the fill. Let's just say I'm very happy I picked the right doctor in the first place. I've had fills with and without fluro and have not had difficulty. Fluro just cost me more money.

I have had all of my fills done under xray as well because when I went in for my first fill he attempted to find it, poked me 3 times and told me to come back and we would try under xray. It should be fine, I've never had any problems since he has been doing them under xray! Don't worry too much, it's normal! Hope that helps!

You and I are almost in the same boat. However I never had problems with my fills until my doctor moved my port. It is now under my muscles. My first few fills post op moving my port were fine. My doc could feel and poke and be successful the first try.

Recently I had a Tummy Tuck and I am still a little swollen, but was dying for a fill so my doc said he could give me one. After checking with anultrasound to find my port he poked me and missed. It was so painful because he was poking and poking through my muscles.

Then he tried again and missed again. He used the ultrasound and tried again and missed again. Then I went for an xray which he looked at and then tried again and missed again.

It wasn't until he took a very large pillow and put it under my lower back so my stomach was up high in the air that he was able to hit my port. Gosh my muscles were sore for days after that.

Anyways I feel your pain freaking out, not wanting another surgery etc. I was so worried but everything worked out. Sometimes our ports hide a bit. I am sure everything will be fine. Maybe your doctor should try the pillow trick?

Good luck :)

I'm really surprised that doctors are doing fills without fluoroscopy - especially the first fill.

That's the Doctor's first time to see the band position, the pouch size, the restriction you currently have, how the fill affects your restriction and much more.

There's no guessing involved. It may cost more, but isn't it worth it to pay and know you'll get a fill that is appropriate for you for your current state?

My port flipped so no fill for me until 6 weeks post op at least...need insurance to approve another surgical procedure first! This is not how I wanted this all to go!

Did my my first fill under flouro, and the PA said my port had tipped, She was able to get it on the first try. Did they not use numbing spray? I felt nothing, just looked down and saw a needle sticking out of my belly, kinda freaky. but did not feel a thing