Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping with the band

This might sound like a crazy question to some.

I read a status update from an exited newly banded person : " I can sleep on my side and I am only 3 days post op."

Got me thinking.

I can fall asleep ONLY on my tummy. So here is a silly question:

Can I sleep on my stomach with the band?

I'm a stomach sleeper too and it only took me about 1 month to resume my normal sleeping habits. The 1st week I slept in a recliner then I was a side sleeper with a pillow propped under my tummy. Don't worry...you'll fall asleep. Pain meds help too but it was all worth it!

I'm a stomach sleeper too. My first 3 weeks after surgery I slept on my back on the couch slowly transitioning to my side with the help of some pillows. I couldn't sleep in my bed at first because I live alone and couldn't sit up out of it without assistance. The one night I tried to sleep in my bed, maybe 3 days post-op, I was stuck like a turtle on it's back LOL I could not get up, I had to slowly slide myself to the edge of the bed and try to pull myself up using the nightstand, funny now but not so funny at the time. It took me about 4 to 5 weeks to feel completely comfortable sleeping on my stomach, I tried a few times before then but still had some pains in my port site. I'm 7 weeks post-op and I've been sleeping on my stomach just as I always have.

The first 2 nights I slept on the couch all propped up. Then moved to my bed on the 3rd night. It took maybe a week to transition to my tummy. And let me tell you I was soooo excited!! Im a total stomach sleeper :) Although... even thought I could sleep on my tummy, it took another week before I could roll over and not do it reeeely slow and controlled. But for me it didnt take long. I think I personally healed faster because I was up and about from day 1. Never took pain meds (some people really do need them) and I think for me that made the difference in having a little more energy to move around and heal. My main concern was getting on my tummy at night!!

interesting answers... that always had me wondering also. Haven't had the surgery YET but I'm definitely and only a stomach sleeper. Thats a bit worrisome. lol

I'm a tummy or side sleeper. I hate sleeping on my back. It took me a few weeks to get back on my tummy, but I was able to side sleep within a few days. It'll really depend on how well you tolerate surgery.

That being said...a few weeks of not sleeping normally is SO worth the band. You will sleep, and before you know it you'll be back to normal. I didn't even let this be a consideration when I was deciding. I sleep better 50lbs lighter anyway. :D

Ooohh the sleep thing is definitely not a deal breaker! I'll cat nap for a month for this band! lol :blink: I really need this tool and i'm definitely ready to start.

like most of you, i can only fall asleep laying a certain way.... i'm a side/tummy sleeper too.

i spent the first night in the hospital and i made sure i was so pain free that it didn't matter i was on my back. plus, the nurses come in every 15 mintues so i didn't get much sleep that first night anyway.

the second night i was at my parent's house and not my own bed and i laid more on my side with a pillow in front of me. i slept this way for a few days.

by a week after surgery i was back to sleeping on my stomach with no problems!

I'm 8 days out and I still cant sleep on my tummy. =( I am a tummy sleeper and I'm not used to sleeping on my back at all. I can only sleep on my back or on my right side. sleeping on my left irritates my port and is still uncomfortable. I hope it's normal that my port site is still swollen. =S

It took me over a month to get back on my stomach, but only a couple of days to sleep on my side. I just had port pain when I put direct pressure on it for several weeks , but I know others have been able to transition more easily than me.

The funny thing is that now that I've lost all of this weight, I can sleep comfortably on my back again. I still prefer the tummy though :)

I was always a stomach sleeper. After surgery however, I slept in a half-sitting position and have just kind of gotten used to starting out like that. I usually am still on my back when I wake up, but I'll be more reclined. It took me a long time before I felt comfortable sleeping on my side, now I do sleep on my side sometimes.

sleeping was a huge thing for me.... I slept on the couch for a little over a week, it was easier to get out of and just more comfortable. I moved to the bed and starting sleeping with lots of pillows to keep me from moving to my tummy. LAST NIGHT I was finally albe to sleep on my tummy. I realize the journey is different for everyone and it looks like it took me longer than most to be comfortable. (I'm a baby) GOOD LUCK on your journey!

I'm 2 weeks post op today and I'm sleeping fairly well, but I can't sleep on my left side. I'm assuming that is my port side. Its just a discomfort, like I can feel something in there. Hopefully that will go away eventually, because that's my favorite position!!!