Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I'm a 29 year old female from NY and recently decided to get the lap band. Went to my doctor and got a referral and am all set for the first step which is a seminar. I was wondering what everyone's beginning experience was like. I was told i'd need to have a psych exam and diet first. So was wondering how long this process would be before I could get the "a-okay". Now that I'm no longer hmmming and haaaiing about the surgery and my mind is all made up I'm excited about it and ready to get the show on the road. :) I guess i'm just ready to start this journey.

So any and all advice you wonderful people on this forum could give me and any heads up would tremendously be appreciated. Thanks again.

Hey congrats on your decision. I went to the seminar 11/6 my first consult with the surgeon was 11/23 where I got my checkliist of things I had to do (primary doc clearance, cardiologist clearance, pulmonologist clearance, sleep study, psych eval, consult with nutritionist, barrium swallow, blood work, quit smoking) I was really overwhelmed at first but I was so gung-ho I completed everything by Christmas and was approved by Jan 5th. Went to sign papers and schedule my date with surgeon on the Jan 25th. My date if Valentines Day! I'm so excited I can't wait!

Jamie

A lot depends on your insurance coverage. Contact your company and ask them what they require. The pre-op diets (3 or 6 months, that is) are often determined by them. My medical group said I could not even see the surgeon without first doing a 6 month supervised diet program. I appealed that with weight watchers records and records of other attempts. I could go to the seminar without approval, but could not otherwise begin the process.

I won the appeal and saw my surgeon. My insurance required the psych eval, my surgeon required other tests. It took a few months to get everything in order. I went to my surgeon's seminar in August and had surgery the following February. The biggest delay for me was the psychologist. He took about 6 weeks to write the letter that I was good to go. I had to sit on his doorstep to get it done.

I agree that a lot has to do with insurance. I went to my seminar the end of November. My doctor was booked so I couldn't see him until Dec. 23. That day my surgery date of January 27 was set. I completed my pre-op blood work, chest x-ray, gall bladder ultrasound, physch evaluation, nutrition appt. and my medical clearence letter. On January 19 I saw my surgeon again for my pre-op appt. and as scheduled on January 27 I had my surgery. I am now 3 days out and ready for a complete recovery. FYI..I have Tricare Prime. My insurance was submitted on Friday afternoon and approved Monday afternoon.

Very interesting.. the differences in between. Well what a difference insurance makes. I have United Healthcare. Guess I have to slow down a little bit and go to the seminar... once that's done I'll call my insurance and see what they say. or would ya say call first. Since I haven't even done the seminar yet, it's on Thursday... lol thank you for your replies.

My insurance has apparently decided to be reasonable. They didn't require a 6 month supervised diet. Apparently they 'get it' that when you've been fat for years, you've obviously tried just about every diet under the sun. :rolleyes:

Once I made my decision to do this, I went to the seminar and 6 weeks later I had my surgery. I have no doubt that the speedy process went so quickly because the doctor's office was on the ball in getting the paperwork to the insurance company in a timely manner. They had a psychiatrist they routinely referred to and she was able to get me in that same week and her report to my insurance company was filed within 24 hours. All my pre-test results were sent from their lab to the insurance company within 24 hours.

I cannot recommend Barix clinic highly enough...both preop and postop followup.

Very interesting.. the differences in between. Well what a difference insurance makes. I have United Healthcare. Guess I have to slow down a little bit and go to the seminar... once that's done I'll call my insurance and see what they say. or would ya say call first. Since I haven't even done the seminar yet, it's on Thursday... lol thank you for your replies.

There's nothing wrong with calling them before the seminar just to gather information. Although you might have more questions for them after, but nothing says you cannot call twice. You might be able to find information online as well. My company has its brochure online, so I was able to see that first and then call with follow-up questions.

Here is United Healthcare's Policy on Bariatric Surgery. You might have question on interpretation for them.

http://content.4at5.net/email_domains/unr/38183/hosted/medical_3.html

That's great Elfie Poo.. I looked up Barix online. Read a lot of good stuff. B)

CocoaBean- thanks soooo much for everything! The advice and the link. I appreciate it soo much. B) I definitely am going to read through this and take my time. But it seems like everything I've been reading that others had to do is listed in that link.

You are welcome! Best wishes on your journey!

Well the seminar went great I am now on my way. Have all appointments scheduled. Was able to get a 6 mo. diet letter from my Pcp so that's not required. The latest appt I have is with the designated Nutritionist. 3/30. I hoped there was someone else they could refer me to but no. But everything else will be done meaning, the pulmonary, ultrasound, and others.. I'm so excited.

oh and my insurance covers the surgery and post-op 100 percent. so i'm thankful about that. :)

Hope everyone is doing well and is healthy. :lol:

Thanks for the update. Hope all the tests go smoothly and you are quickly on the road to recovery!