Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym and calories

Just curious, this week I have started working out more at the gym. I have a polar heart rate monitor that calculates my exact calories burned via my height, weight, age, heart rate, etc. So I know exactly how many calories I burn. For example today I burned a total of 650 calories. I am trying to eat 1200 calories a day. Usually ends up being less. 1000-1100. Though yesterday it ended up at 900, because my stomach kept bothering me (but I did not work out). So if I do eat 1200 calories and burn 650, I am in essence only getting in 550 calories. (My net calories, according to my livestong iphone app). I wonder if I need to eat a little more on those days, because if I eat to little I don't lose. I am wondering what other people do?

The thing is according to the calorie calculators I've see, in order to lose 2 lbs/week I need to eat like 1400 calories, I don't think there is anyway for me to eat that much right now, so I am trying for 1200. I am really trying to do this right. As I got really depressed the other day when I went in 5 weeks post op expecting a fill (havg only lost 2 lbs in the previous 4 weeks, that weight loss was only from the week prior I had plateaued with the low calorie intake) and my doctor said he wanted me to heal some more, saying nothing about my weight loss. So I have vowed to push myself and lose a lot of weight in the next 6 weeks (my next appointment). First of all I know I need to stay off the scale, but I can't. Like yesterday morning I was 225.4 an this am I was back to 270. I know, daily fluctuations, blah blah, but these things bother me and it makes me want to push myself harder, but not sure if I keep burning so much and not eating enough to keep it going I won't lose. I will find out when I have my real weigh in day on Monday, but for now, I just want people opinions.

Also keep in mind that your body burns calories all day as I like to say "keeping the lights on". Sitting, standing, doing the dishes, keeping your body temp regulated those all take calories.

My Nut also says to stay around 1200 calories a day. I asked the nurse once if I was plateauing because I was'nt eating enough calories around 800 and she said "No you have lots of weight for your body to burn". Well no duh. So she does'nt believe in starvation mode; but I think there is enough evidence that it does exist.

Another thing to consider is that as you are exercising your body will loose fat and gain muscle. I had 2-3 weeks were I was plateuing (and not at restriction); but I clearing was loosing inches.

Also what is your Protein levels? If they are on the low end and/or you are having a hard eating day; you migh consider a low cal/fat/carb Protein shake. Esp. if you are working out a long time after you last meal. Premier shakes are 30 g Protein for only 160 calories.

I do know my body burns calories all the time. I know some people don't believe I starvation mode, I do, in the past when dieting I've tried to eat less than reccomended to lose weight and I stopped losing. Once I started eating more again I started losing again. So I believe it in. I do know that I've lost inches. I've had to get smaller pants and work scrubs. I get at least 80grams of Protein per day, so that is adequate. As for the gym, I usually go in the morning about an hour after Breakfast. This morning I wasn't really hungry, but I felt I should eat, so I had an Unjury Protein Shake, made with milk, so it was 28grams of protein.

I think I've had great success with the band and working out has been a large part of that. Even though I work out a LOT, I don't make any special food allowances for that. If I'm hungrier for some reason I may eat more, but it's not like I think of it as earning credits as you might in Weight Watchers or something. All this said, I never did count calories, so I did have a different approach in general. But I think it's best either way to think of exercise as just a part of your lifestyle rather than as something that allows you to (or requires you to) eat more.

Best of luck to you!

Did your scale say that you really fluctuated from 225 to 270 in a day? If so, buy another scale. I actually think it's good to weigh yourself every day, as long as you don't take it too seriously and understand the fluctuations. I have a bodybug which tells me about how many calories I burn in a day. With a 60 minute workout and running around chasing kids and cleaning up after them (I'm home with the kids all day) I can easily burn 3400 calories a day. On days I don't exercise (Sunday) I'll burn about 2600, of course everyone is so very different, but this is just an example that you're burning way more than 650 calories.

You need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound.

I wouldn't like subtract it from what you are eating... well like a normal diet for someone my size would be like 3,000 calories or something, so by eating 1,200 you are automatically losing weight. Then the exercise subtracts more. But yes, then muscle weights more than fat.. it's complicated haha.

Did your scale say that you really fluctuated from 225 to 270 in a day? If so, buy another scale. I actually think it's good to weigh yourself every day, as long as you don't take it too seriously and understand the fluctuations. I have a bodybug which tells me about how many calories I burn in a day. With a 60 minute workout and running around chasing kids and cleaning up after them (I'm home with the

kids all day) I can easily burn 3400 calories a day. On days I don't exercise (Sunday) I'll burn about 2600, of course everyone is so very different, but this is just an

example that you're burning way more than 650 calories.

I totally meant 225 to 227, not 270. I do know I burn more than what I exercise. I am going to not add anything and see what happens. Also I don't think it is true that muscle weighs more than fat. I think they are equal, but muscle just makes you look smaller